Houzz Logo Print
kellyhilde

Our Kitchen Remodel before and after -1962 kitchen

Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
Our house was built in 1962 and has a very odd layout. It is a "tri-level" but technically a quad level because you go into the basement through the garage. We have survived in the house for 10 years with the original 1962 kitchen. The only things not original- refrigerator & faucet. The layout was hortible. There was about a 16 inch gap to get into the kitchen from the dining area. The built oven fit one turkey at thanksgiving time.

We finally decided to bite the bullet and do a remodel after considering some other minor options such as new counter top, backsplash and flooring. We replaced everything in the kitchen except for the refrigerator. While I originally wanted to keep the natural wood look our contractor and my husband talked me into painted cabinets.

We didnt do anything over the top auch as granite countertops or stainless steel appliances. First those wouldnt work with the rest if the house and second, it wouldnt work with our budget. Our final cost came in at just under $10,000.

Comentarios (33)

• Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Here are some of the finshed project!
  • 2x6oc
    hace 9 años
    lovely job, congrats
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a 2x6oc
  • Eileen
    hace 9 años
    *Bump
  • bgfuqua
    hace 9 años
    nice job.
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a bgfuqua
  • Joy
    hace 9 años
    Very clever what you did with the refrigerator! Removing the turn in your counter/lower cabinets and adding the ceiling to floor storage next to the fridge increased your storage, incorporated your fridge into the area, and opened your entrance into the kitchen. Beautiful kitchen!
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a Joy
  • Julie Welch
    hace 9 años
    Nice! And good budget job that real people can likely do!!!
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a Julie Welch
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you Julie! I agree, while it doesnt have all the bells and whistles it was affordable for us and made the most sense for the house and future resale.
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    It's a great new kitchen, especially on the $10K budget.
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 9 años
    nice transformation done within your budget, great work!
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • Pat
    hace 9 años
    Kelly, that looks great! We have a house built in 1961 and a small kitchen also. No way to add on without putting more into the house than we would ever get back. Your kitchen gave me some ideas for my own someday project.
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a Pat
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you pat! I think it's amazing how much you can do with a "smaller" budget.
  • bungalowmo
    hace 9 años
    I LOVE a window at the sink...so glad you kept it !! You really did a nice job here. And you're right. Amazing with a small budget. When you're forced to really watch your pennies & not keep changing ideas midstream.... Voila!!
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a bungalowmo
  • Shauna Cowley Filtz
    hace 9 años
    Fantastic job!
  • Melissa Leigh
    hace 9 años
    Love this kitchen. Looks so much bigger.
  • ackcx3
    hace 9 años
    *GREAT* job! I'll bet you love cooking now, right?

You know, anybody can "upgrade" their home when they have a huge budget. You've gotta be smart to do it for relatively less money. You are to be commended.
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Nice. That looks really good for that kind of budget.
  • cathyinbothell
    hace 9 años

Can you tell me who made your window coverings? They're perfect there!

Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a cathyinbothell
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Cathy- all of our window coverings were purchased at JC Penneys. I purchased three different patterns for each area since they have a huge selection online and then returned the ones we didn't choose. Very nice for the price, however I would recommend purchasing 3-4 extra panels because with each set I ordered we had 1-2 panels that were shorter or longer than the rest. So rather than having to fix them myself I just returned those as well. Also if you order in the store, you can get free shipping to your home.

• cathyinbothell
    hace 9 años

Wonderful! Thanks so much for the quick response. You did a great job!

Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a cathyinbothell
  • Gini Up
    hace 9 años
    Wonderful job. Taking out the return and adding next to the stove gives me an idea for the house I just got in Idaho for my daughter. This is going to be so much fun. Can't wait to get started. We're on a budget also, but because of all the necessary work that needed to be done, we're rolling a lot into our loan. Roof, painting all inside, floor covering and some other. Kitchen remodel is not included, but I think we may be able to handle this part. I'm loving this website.
  • rksjmartin
    hace 9 años

What brand of cabinets did you use? We too are looking to do a budget-friendly kitchen. You did a great job of staying in line with the style of the house.

• Carrie Hager
    hace 9 años
    You really made a small, clunky kitchen into an attractive, functional space, all on a budget. Very inspiring.
    Kelly Aldrich Hildebrand agradeció a Carrie Hager
    Autor original
    hace 9 años

Rks- we used a remodeler who built all of doors from scratch. Pretty simple design. Most of the structure of out original cabinets were solid. because we didn't change the layout too much, he was able to use most of the original base. He built the pantry from scratch and the bottom section to the left of the dishwasher and the long cabinet next to the slider.

• tooky58
    hace 9 años

What a great "new" kitchen. I couldn't have made ten years, let alone ten days.

• PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Looks great!!
  • Zoe Kendrick
    hace 8 años

You guys did an incredible job, Kelly! I especially love the new tile you had installed. My husband and I also have a pretty old kitchen that we're looking to get remodeled. It's not from the 60's, like yours, but it's still pretty old. Hopefully our transformation ends up being this incredible! Thanks again for the post, Kelly! http://www.betcherandwalker.net

• PRO
    Sunshine Drapery and Interior Design
    hace 8 años

What a transformation. Beautiful!

• PRO
    The High Road Design Studio, LLC
    hace 8 años

Nicely done!

• PRO
    Xtreme Mats, LLC.
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

We love that you saved the built- in cabinets and incorporated them with your design! And the storage next to the fridge is great! Make sure you protect your investment so that these cabinets will last you a long, long time! Check us out for cabinet protection from leaks, spills, and more! https://www.houzz.com/pro/xtrememats/xtreme-mats-llc

• PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    hace 7 años

Fantastic!!!

• PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    hace 7 años

Fantastic!!!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.