Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Have you shopped at a home consignment store?

Emily H
hace 9 años
When decorating your home, have you ever shopped at a home consignment store?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Living Room · Más información
Yes
No
Other - Tell us below!

Comentarios (34)

• condomary
    hace 9 años
    I have not. I don't even know where there is one. I have looked in Salvation Army but without success.
    Emily H agradeció a condomary
  • jugghoney
    hace 9 años
    Yes, I found 2 antique chairs that only needed update upholstery. Also bought a buffet at a Salvation Army store.
    Emily H agradeció a jugghoney
  • Angel 18432
    hace 9 años
    Love shopping in thrift stores - pick up so many unique items. I recently purchased a coat that was made in France with a designer label - couldn't believe my luck! It's a classic and looks fabulous.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I know someone with several homes and much of the furniture, rugs and accessories have come from consignment stores. She has made phenomenal buys on really fabulous stuff. But, Salvation Army, etc... are thrift stores, not consignment stores. The best stores are, of course, in large urban areas.
  • grobby
    hace 9 años
    Been shopping in them for years. I like to go after Christmas, seems everybody cleans out the house. Also shop in different locales, if I'm traveling. One of my favs is in the Outer Banks, lot of retirees live there and are very generous to the thrift shops.
  • kayrondo
    hace 9 años
    Love, Love, love consignments, thrifts and estate/tag sales for finding tasteful, inexpensive things for my home. Went on a sr. bus tour the other day and there was a consignment shop next to where we ate. It was on the Main Line outside of PA. The ticket is to shop where rich people donate their stuff. Although I have found bargains for regular items in Value Village, Sal. Army and Goodwill. Most of the items in my house, re-purposed or not were not bought new. I love it.
  • coronados
    hace 9 años
    We have recently purchased a forty year old hexagon house in the north rim Az I am decorating cottage style and have been shopping at most thrift stores in the Phx area my favorites are the non for profit ones specially hospice of the valley.
  • Sigrid
    hace 9 años
    I live near a consignment store and I've bought a fair amount of furniture from it. There's a lot of cheap or mediocre stuff, but there are gems, too. The trick is to pay attention to quality and condition. I must say, on most of my visits to it, I come home empty-handed.

I'm mostly furnishing my home with vintage. It's more interesting, better made (if you pay attention to what you buy) and a lot greener. And for the most part, cheaper.

The only catch is that you have to keep looking, you can't go to a store and buy a room full of furniture. I've been looking for a pair of couches for a few years now.
  • catz1
    hace 9 años
    If you enjoy browsing and have time, you can't beat them. If you are in a hurry or want it all to match go to the furniture store. Beautiful, well decorated homes evolve and reflect their owners taste and interests.
  • michaelrigley
    hace 9 años
    nice place to find that bit or bob you didn't even know you needed but it just jumped into your view and all the time in the corner of your mind you knew that is exactly what you where looking for
  • housequester
    hace 9 años
    I've looked at consignment stores, usually without luck, although my mom & dad have bought many things there. Craigslist, on the other hand, has furnished our children's bedrooms. Nothing's been in perfect shape, but our boys' furniture is solid wood and much better quality than most of what we'd find in a furniture store in our price range today. I think we've decided that having absolutely no marks or scratches isn't worth it if we can find well made pieces for hundreds of dollars less. One of these years we'll replace the drawer pulls and update their chest and dresser. Until then, I'm okay with not being hip. And believe me, THEY couldn't care less!
  • michaelrigley
    hace 9 años
    I agree
  • karelina
    hace 9 años
    Some of the most interesting finds at the best prices, but 2nd hand stores, garage sales, and estate sales are worth a peek, too.
  • Usuario de Houzz-2428124
    hace 9 años
    idk what that is
  • David Gleason
    hace 9 años
    I bought a very nice quality leather couch, love seat, and chair. They were brought in town from an out-of-state furniture company for a show and once the show ended they sold them at a local consignment store. The main reason I bought them was that they were essentially new and in perfect condition. Score! They still have that awesome leather smell after 10 months that I've owned them and I am very happy I shopped at that consignment store.
  • libradesigneye
    hace 9 años
    Yes, got some terrific teak dining room chair set (six side chairs + 2 armchairs) - mid century style with bad upholstery .. recovered them and wowsa, I'm a fan!
  • Leann Henshaw
    hace 9 años
    Yes, and I'd do it again, should I need inspiration! I got some cute little candlesticks for a gift for a friend, as well as some serving items for myself. It is the ultimate recycling!
  • rredpenn
    hace 9 años
    Killing time, not expecting to find anything, I found a pair of swivel gliders in a consignment shop two weeks ago. They're brand new, and had been consigned because the original purchaser didn't realize they moved. His elderly wife couldn't get in/out of them. They still had the delivery form under the seat! I'm sure the store wouldn't take them back because they were special ordered--the fabric is nifty..tan/red pattern that shifts between colors as you look from different angles.

I had just ordered two other chairs that were three times as much money...I got a steal on this pair!
  • oceanfrontcabin
    hace 9 años
    Yes. But we shop at high end consignment shops where you can get highest quality furniture for pennies on the original dollars. We've furnished most of our condo from high end consignment shops.
  • HomeDecor Addict
    hace 9 años
    I actually shop second hand FIRST [not necessarily home consignment stores] when I first started decorating I went to the home furniture stores, but it all seemed so cookie cutter, cheaply made and EXPENSIVE [seriously, $200+ each, for bar stools that looked cheap and plastic], so I started shopping on craigslist etc just to see if there was something that I actually liked, I don't mind paying for it if I actually like it. So, I found three beautiful bar stools for $25 [total for all three] and they looked better than any $200 stool I saw in the store. After that I was HOOKED. I have found all high quality low cost items, I especially love cast iron [and wrought iron to a lesser extent] but I have found so many solid heavy pieces for CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. and because it's actually iron, not cheap plastic or aluminum, it'll last me forever.

Pic 1 is my king size four poster canopy wrought iron and cast iron bed frame $150
    Pic 2 is a queen size canopy wrought iron head board $40
    Pic 3 [attached] is a pic of the bar stools I got for $25 for all three [or about $8/each]

MasterBedroom · Más información

GuestBedroom · Más información
  • User
    hace 9 años
    The last thing I need is more stuff, but I do consign in a local consignment shop.
  • HomeDecor Addict
    hace 9 años
    Oh, I also got this beautiful tufted chair from the goodwill for $50. it literally looks brand new. the previous owner must not have actually sat on it, it was likely just a decorative piece not actually used.

MasterBedroom · Más información
  • PRO
    Rockabye Mommy, LLC
    hace 9 años
    there are many treasures to be found at consignment stores. sometimes the most unique pieces in your design remodel come from vintage or second hand stores and are found at a fabulous price!
  • PRO
    Custom Interiors By Jerry
    hace 9 años
    I got a pair of white damask sofas in perfect condition are a resale shop for $450. For client used one in living room one in bed room bay they where curved just fit in the bay, they even had bullion fringe skirts.i have bought many things at resale ships can't belive
  • Tracy Taylor
    hace 9 años
    I found a Kent Coffey Ming dresser , a 1940s french writing desk, a french provencial dresser, a pair of queen anne hair on hide mini leopard print chairs with nail head all in the photos after a little make over... also a Milo Baughman floating coffee table, and a Milo Baughman bar cart... and this mirror all consignment store finds... LOVE CONSIGNMENT>>>LOVE!!!
  • PRO
    Studio M Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    All the time, especially for vintage or unique consignment pieces that you can't find just anywhere. We've definitely gotten some great looking pieces at these places!
  • Bill Yockey
    hace 9 años
    Consignment, Thrift Stores and Craigslist are really the only way to furnish a home. Quality furniture for a fractioin of the price. If the quality is good, then you don't have to worry about it falling out of fashion.
  • kcarterfay
    hace 9 años
    Love consignment store shopping. I have found some incredible pieces there and at great prices. Henredon, Baker Furniture, Century, Drexel -top quality manufacturers with beautiful design lines. You do have to shop and often I don't find anything. Sometimes I find things I'm not even looking for but they really are too good to pass up. Then I bring the 'replaced' item back to be sold at the store. I only buy items in excellent condition. As a result, we have beautiful furniture we could never afford at retail prices.
  • PRO
    Elite Interior Staging
    hace 9 años
    Yes! Yes! Yes! It is one of the best kept secrets (not really a secret now).
  • The big house
    hace 9 años
    We recently moved to Florida and found the consignment stores in our area are awesome. Needed barstools, consignment shop find was better than anything in my price range at retail. Found a wonderful campaign style lateral file that was perfect as a printer stand and a cute side table to tuck in the corner of the dining room. In our area decorators always are haunting the consignment shops for an unusual "find." Snap it up quickly cause it'll be gone tomorrow.
  • jangoodin
    hace 8 años

There's an awesome consignment store in my area. Design Consign, it is really posh looking and has great buys! Why wouldn't you use them, plus they accept stuff I don't want anymore.

• libradesigneye
    hace 8 años

Yes - the best one is at the high end "village" in our region, run by volunteer ladies. They have wonderful china and crystal too. Found contemporary teak dining chairs in a set of 8 (two with arms) for $80/chair - they needed recovering but the bones were fab -

• shamasbay
    hace 8 años

We bought a craftsman style solid oak table with leaves and 8 chairs for $500.00. Chairs were perfect. Table just a little marked.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.