Houzz Logo Print
travelbug2013

Replace bay window and make exterior more of our house more modern.

travelbug2013
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
We have changed out all our windows on our 30 year old house to vinyl slider windows. Except for the bay window on the front of the house. We can't decide what to do with it. The inside has been renovated to a very modern style and we want the exterior to look more modern as well.

We are not sure if we should remove the bay section and make that area flat and put in a large rectangle window with some sections that open. Or if we should just replace the bay window but perhaps make the height taller so that the bottom will come further down into the large space of siding that sits below it.

Either way we want to get rid of the white bars and the new window must open in some way.

I've attached some older and newer photos of the house because some allow better views than others. The colours are now several tones of grey and the front door has been replaced with a stained fir door with obscured glass. We would love other suggestions of how to make the exterior more modern.

Thanks

Comentarios (8)

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    hace 9 años
    Are you interested in doing anything with the exterior walls of the house? More modern houses that use wood have horizontal wood planks. Of course, changing the windows will be a major way to update the exterior of the house as well. Flat roofs are also a characteristic of many modern houses. It really just depends on what your budget is.
    travelbug2013 agradeció a SoCal Contractor
  • travelbug2013
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Unfortunately we don't have much in our budget at this time. It will have to be something lower budget for the time being, probably $2000 to $3000 max (we do all the work ourselves so it maximizes the use of the $$$)

We had thoughts of doing a more dramatic change, maybe adding a gable above the entry and above the bay window or something like that. Perhaps down the road we can, but for now the interior took up all our $$$. I have posted a photo of our kitchen, the entire interior has been done in this style so you can see why we want to get the exterior looking as modern as possible. But any ideas for the future would be appreciated as well, thanks!
  • peeb
    hace 9 años
    If you don't need the little bit of extra room the bay window provides, I would definitely remove it and put in a row of three or for rectangular windows side by side. Will go much better with the modern look and feel of your home.
    travelbug2013 agradeció a peeb
  • PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    hace 9 años
    Remove the bay window and put a tall picture window in with casement side openings that will provide ventilation. Xeroscape the front yard with form shape plants and succulents such as Century Cactus for form and the blue gray color that will go with the house. Just keep the landscape sculptural with some soft grasses mixed in.
    travelbug2013 agradeció a Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
  • PRO
    Superior Windowland LLC
    hace 9 años
    Least expensive way is to remove the bay and put in 3 lite slider
    travelbug2013 agradeció a Superior Windowland LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 9 años
    I have a thing for tall skinny windows in modern homes in the 1st pic but the 2nd one would be great too and I love the idea of changing the front door
    travelbug2013 agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • travelbug2013
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks everyone, we will definitely be doing some landscaping in the front yard to add more dimension and interest.

I am currently trying to find out if we can remove the bay window and use the existing header that runs above it to put in some other type of windows and make the area flat.

It's hard to see in the last two photos, but the front door has been replaced to a stained fir with a full size glass insert.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.