Houzz Logo Print
ssarmstrong214

Ideas for safety to protect kids from open 2nd story loft...

ssarmstrong214
hace 9 años
Hi! Our den/playroom is on the 2nd floor and has a large opening that our 2yr old likes to try to peer over! I don't want to dry wall it but need other ideas to create a stylish barrier. Perhaps shutters? Or window panels?

Comentarios (29)

• studio10001
    hace 9 años
    How about a railing?
  • ssarmstrong214
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I thought about a railing but our 2 yr old still throws things over it and we have a glass dining table below...
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Are you trying to keep the kids from jumping/falling out of the second story or are you just trying to keep them from throwing things?
  • studio10001
    hace 9 años
    Both, it sounds like! I hate to see you lose natural light, so will suggest a plexiglass insert.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    hace 9 años
    Think about turning the opening into a window. Therefore the space is more open and keeps the natural light, but the children can't go through.
  • ssarmstrong214
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks everyone for your ideas!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Window or grille with large beads on it that they can move up and down like an abacus.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    A spanking for the child ought to do it.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    No substitute for passive safety barriers.
  • PRO
    Kansas City NARI
    hace 9 años
    A combination of both these things pictured should work great for your dilemma. That way the room isn't fully blocked but broken up to where they don't have the ability to fall. Hope this helps.
  • PRO
    McNICHOLS CO.
    hace 9 años
    You can do a tight weave of wire mesh, both woven or welded in an infill panel. You could also do a perforated metals in a small hole size. There is also some decorative patterns of Wire Mesh at http://www.mcnichols.com/products/wire-mesh/decorative-mesh.
  • gwen1313
    hace 9 años
    I have the same issue. We put up a railing with plexiglass. It works well and you still get the natural light.
  • PRO
    Shade-Outdoor Living Solutions
    hace 9 años
    Hi, we actually have a product that are security shutters that can be locked in place. They are a really stylish application and they can also be designed to be move aside if you would like the space back. Check our website, www.getshade.com, exterior shutters. Good Luck!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Can you post a link to the product, Shade Outdoor Living?
  • PRO
    Shade-Outdoor Living Solutions
    hace 9 años
    @chookchook2, My apologies for my delay! Here is a link to this area on our website :) Scroll to the bottom, where it says "Exterior Shutters" http://www.getshade.com/window-outfitters/
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I see. Looks good.
  • PRO
    TRUADDITIONS
    hace 9 años
    Something similar to what Capozzoli Metalworks suggested...Wrought iron inside interior window opening. See the window opening behind the coffer.
  • Sheri
    hace 9 años
    I like the wrought iron ideas. We have railings upstairs overlooking our foyer and living room. I just gated the steps and didn't allow my young children to play up there unattended.
  • jayabhakta
    hace 7 años

what did you end up doing? I have the same issue and looking for ideas

• ssarmstrong214
    Autor original
    hace 7 años
    Thanks everyone, sorry for delay. We ended up just extending the wall and adding rectangular holes for more light. Which is good because now we have even more little boys and they love to climb!!!
  • PRO
    Capozzoli Stairworks
    hace 7 años

looks great, good idea

• Mary Anne Joyal
    hace 6 años

Hi, we have a similar problem with loft wall openings that are like medium-sized windows. You can hear someone turn a newspaper page upstairs if someone is reading downstairs! Any ideas on how we can block the sound? The view from the loft is only of the ceiling lights of first-floor great room. We have had glass installers suggest frosted glass for $2000 and up, but they do not guarantee that it will cut down the sound more than a little. Any ideas would be most appreciated, thank you.

• PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    hace 6 años

clear acrylic or glass panels

• Judy Mishkin
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

you also need to be concerned about disrupting heating and a/c.

we have a curved ceiling in our 2nd floor great room, with a loft... and its very much like st paul's 'whispering gallery' in london. anything you say quietly on the first floor can be heard clear as a bell in the 3rd floor loft. we warn our guests....

so i understand your problem. whoever needs the silence might look into a white noise generator.

• Mary Anne Joyal
    hace 6 años

Thank you! This seems to be a problem shared by more than a few folks. Appreciate all comments and will look into the idea of glass or acrylic panels. St. Paul's Gallery, yes, very apt.

• L Gleave
    hace 5 años
    Última modificación: hace 5 años

Freedom garden fence from lowes. Has options for 1-3 tiers. Used 1.1.5 inch , bracket (L shaped).

that slid into base of pole, and drilled into wooden ledge with washer and screw and hand held drill. Keeps my 18 month boy off ledge. Very secure. Less than 100 bucks

• L Gleave
    hace 5 años

Also forgot to say, you drill 8 x 1 inch truss Phillip's self drilling scscrew into pole, to secure the bracket to the

• Mary Anne Joyal
    hace 5 años

We decided to close the wall up entirely and could not be happier. No great "view" or light is lost and the privacy gained is priceless not to mention gaining an extra wall in the upstairs loft. I know the trend is toward open-to-first-floor-lofts but to me, this is where the whole "open concept" thing has its limit. What may look aesthetically pleasing does not always work well in everyday living.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.