Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

This or That: Salt & Pepper Grinder VS Shaker

Jeannie Nguyen
hace 9 años
Do you prefer a salt and pepper grinder or shaker to season your food?

Vote for your choice and tell us which one you currently have in your home. If you have photos, post those too!

Comentarios (49)

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Grinder! So much fresher and more flavorful that way. I still keep the brass Turkish one my mother gave me years ago on the counter, but have a more practical black pepper/sea salt pair in the spice cabinet. In addition to that, my "must have" mixed spice grinder is from Trader Joe's -- South African Smoke. It's absolute umami.

Not sure if there's much truth to it, but I heard years ago that the pretty red peppercorns as pictured in your photo above are mildly toxic, and I haven't used them in twenty years. Now that I think of it, I'll do a quick fact-check online and see if that's the case...will edit in my answer in a moment...
    ...and I found arguments going both ways for whether red and pink peppercorns may be mildly toxic, so, sorry, not sure.
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a Barnhart Gallery
  • H K
    hace 9 años
    Use shakers, but have them filled with Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
    Jeannie Nguyen agradeció a H K
  • krf9
    hace 9 años
    Grinder! The flavour is superior, and it only takes a second or two extra.
  • mfwolfe
    hace 9 años
    This reminds me of a funny story . About fifteen years ago a couple at my workplace were married in a huge do. When they returned to work they announced that the gift cards were mixed up and so we would be getting thank yous but they didn't really know who gave what. Months later I am eating lunch in the break room and someone mentioned the mix up and asked about the gifts. The bride said " someone gave me a pepper grinder. What in the world do you do with a pepper grinder?" Well the culprit was I but I didn't confess. I think about the popularity of ground pepper now and wonder if the bride ever used the pepper grinder. I have used a pepper grinder for years. And now I have started using specialty salts. Most are already ground. Who would have ever guessed different salts have different tastes? Not me fifteen years ago.....or that bride.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 9 años
    mfwolfe you were kind not to say anything. Bet she uses it now.
    I used a copy of my wedding guest list to record gifts and check off my thank you notes as I sent them. As I finished I was left with two couples, and one set of knives with no card, having no idea who to thank (and who not to thank, LOL.)
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    hace 9 años
    Pepper grinder, salt shaker.
    Fresh ground pepper tastes much fresher, fresh ground salt tastes... Well, like salt. For the sake of matching it you can use two grinders.
  • PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    hace 9 años
    Trick question - I prefer a grinder for the pepper, shaker for the salt but only own shakers...
  • Joanna Zygo
    hace 9 años
    Each has 8 small batteries, has led light when using it. didn't know it was high tech one they had a discount I bought them because they looked modern...found out about the batteries etc when unpacked (suprise)
  • betd
    hace 9 años
    I love a grinder for my pepper but for my salts I love salt crocks. I have a few original old salt crocks with lids and wooden spoons. I keep these next to my range when I am cooking and I have a few pottery salters for the table. My husband who doesn't cook would rather use shakers.
  • sunnie2day
    hace 9 años
    I voted for grinders but I only use one for pepper. I have a shaker for iodised salt (there is always at least one at the table who needs more salt no matter how much I used during cooking!) and cellars for cooking/baking salt.
  • Lorraine-Lori Johns
    hace 9 años
    I use grinders for both. Nigella got me hooked on using a pepper grinder from watching her shows way back when. Then Dr Oz proclaims pink Himalayan Sea salt to be the best, so in grinder form I purchase it. And once you use it, you'll never go back to white salt again!!!
  • ambersarris
    hace 9 años
    One of the most annoying things living in humid tropical climate is that your salt gets clumpy within a few days… grinders are the only way to go.
  • Penny Riha
    hace 9 años
    We use salt and pepper grinders, better flavor. We do have a couple salt cellars by the range to cook with filled with different sea salts, like Maui sea salt. We haven't used shakers in decades!
  • safronpixi
    hace 9 años
    Pepper is best with course grind and salt is ok in old fashioned crystal salt cellar.....remember to use iodised salt for health, particularly if pregnant......pink Himalayan salt very pretty for dinner parties but not so hot for health.....
  • timberledge
    hace 9 años
    Grinder's are the best! However, whenever we place them on a table for guests we get "How do you use this?" "Is this salt?" "Is this pepper?" "Do you have a salt shaker?" We finally decided to put both grinders and shakers on the table - crazy hun?
  • sunnie2day
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    @Ambersarris - I've lived in several humid countries and know just what you mean! Salt loses its savour, too, in humid conditions. A few grains of uncooked white rice in with the salt helps a little but what really works are sealed grinders, cellars, crocks, and shakers.

The sets I have on breakfast and dinner tables have clever flip open inner spiked caps (the spikes drop into the shaker holes and effectively seal them) and can stand a steam-bath situation when someone forgets to use the extractor fan:)
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 9 años
    There are times when I find the two handed process of a grinder inconvenient, and I can not bring myself to buy a battery operated grinder. When preparing a special meal it is not inconvenient to grind.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    I don't use salt on the table unless we have company, then I use a shaker with large perforations for kosher salt or small containers for other salts . Otherwise, I have grinders for different peppers. My favorite is a Peugoet I bought circa 1978 that still works better than any other. Love fresh ground pepper.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    We use a pepper grinder and a shaker with kosher salt, so both for me.
  • PRO
    Lewis and Sheron Textiles
    hace 9 años
    Don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoy the convenience of salt and pepper shakers, but grinders add a certain something to the grand experience of mealtime.
  • qamidala29
    hace 9 años
    I love fresh ground pepper but I work in a restaurant and rarely cook at home. When I do cook at home, I use ground pepper and Kosher salt. I keep these shakers for guest. . . as you can tell, I could use an update but I will not worry about it until I graduate from grad school! $$$$$! lol
  • June Chapman
    hace 9 años
    Much better flavor when it is fresh ground.
  • June Chapman
    hace 9 años
    Much better flavor when it is fresh ground.
  • lellogirl
    hace 9 años
    I use the grinders while cooking. The shakers are for additional seasoning at the table.
  • janepgn
    hace 9 años
    I have both, i use shaker when I'm cooking. It's difficult for me to get the right amount of S&P from the grinders. And so much easier. No one has ever complained.
  • jalarse
    hace 9 años
    I keep the grinders right where I need them the most. The salt grinder has kosher salt and peppercorns in the other one. Keep a grinder of sea salt on the back of the stove.
  • almostjane
    hace 9 años
    For mealtime - S & P shakers on the table. For cooking, a pepper grinder & small covered bowl of kosher salt on the countertop.
  • roannet
    hace 9 años
    I use grinders for table use (love that pink Himalayan salt) -- much fresher tasting, easier for sprinkling, and more esthetic and intimate, but use pre-ground in containers for baking and cooking -- easier to measure out.
  • ccgbauman
    hace 9 años
    I'm using my Grandparents pepper mills (at least 50 years old). They work great and will always use mills! Always fresh pepper taste.
  • cheewawa
    hace 9 años
    Love grinders for S&P, cooking or on table. However, I lived in the Caribbean for 3 years and never had a grinder but put a lot of uncooked rice in the bottoms our salt and pepper shakers to keep the humidity out and we never had clumpy or damp salt or pepper. Gotta try that pink Himalayan sea salt though.
  • ccgbauman
    hace 9 años
    cheewawa, my parents lived on St. Thomas,VI for 40 years and am well versed with the rice. Mills did work though.
  • Jeanne McDermott
    hace 9 años
    Althought I have over 1,000 s&p sets none of them have ever had salt or pepper in them. I use grinders in the kitchen. The favor is really better.
  • granmajb
    hace 9 años
    a note about Iodized salt----if you take thyroid medication, check with your doctor. With arthritic fingers and wrists I find today's grinders difficult to use. I remember those with a turning handle at the top, much easier but maybe not so esthetically pleasing. It's shakers for me as I really don't care if I'm not using current trends. My motto for everything is: "Whatever works" and shakers work for me.
  • Another Thyme
    hace 9 años
    We have a pepper grinder. We don't use salt.
  • Jonna Austin
    hace 9 años
    I too love the grinders, but there are two problems with them (at least at our house). First, I have a lot of arthritis in my hands; on some days, I simply cannot use the grinders without a lot of pain. Second, my husband is left-handed and simply cannot use a grinder. Don't ask me why....but, the flavor and freshness is so much better with the grinders, I think I will invest in a pair of the battery operated ones.
  • Joanna Zygo
    hace 9 años
    Really..? Interesting what you say, I have the battery operating ones. Bought by mistake. But they do the job and look nice. Only the batteries need to be changed from time to time which is not so great.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 9 años
    I have a pepper grinder. Freshly ground pepper is wonderful! I use sea salt and have a salt box beside my range because I like to season as I cook.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Had a rechargeable set for a few years and liked it well enough until the pepper grinder wouldn't hold its setting. That's when I dug the old Peugeot out of camping gear and cleaned it up. Best pepper grinder ever and a classic style that works as well as it did when purchased in the 70s.
  • Anneliese Milne
    hace 9 años
    Grinder are nice but some are just too noisy
  • Najeebah
    hace 9 años
    shaker when cooking, grinder after
  • Noma Schropp
    hace 9 años
    Use a pepper grinder and - don't laugh - I use the salt shaker from a disposable camping set at the stove. It's very humid here, and the salt shaker has a top that can be closed - plus the top has both shaker holes and a small pouring hole. I just keep refilling it from my lb salt box. Not stylish, but it works better than rice. :)
  • Susan Vale
    hace 9 años
    Neither! Very rarely use salt but have a store bought bag in a plastic container in the cooking area. Yesterday I used pepper for the first time in more than 12 months admittedly it was from a grinder but can't see myself using it again anytime soon. If i do have to put condiments out for guests it's in the aforementioned grinder with a mismatched shaker for the salt. Maybe it's time to purchase a decent set if only for the sake of guests!
  • Madeline Small
    hace 9 años
    Freshly ground pepper seems more flavorful than the alternative, and I just recently bought a salt grinder when I was in Sur La Table after using a non-reusable grinder for the past several years....
  • Katniss Everdeen
    hace 9 años
    I don't know. Apparently I don't know anything about the current style!!
  • User
    hace 9 años
    Grinder for pepper. Small jar for salt.
  • PRO
    Studio CMT
    hace 9 años
    Freshly ground always taste better to me, and has much more of a table presence. Alessi has some fun designs inspired by Phillip Starck.
  • User
    hace 9 años
    The Danes give the biggest pepper grinder they can find as a gift for the 30th birthday of single men and women.
  • summer8289x
    hace 8 años

I recently received a set of beautiful manual salt and pepper grinders as gift and I am loving it, I always cook with freshly grounded pepper, its aroma just too good, and I use pink himalyan rock salt daily, so the grinder work perfect for me

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.