Houzz Logo Print
fragle0

New kitchen, but just not working.

Caitriona
hace 9 años
Hi all.

Here is my dilemma.

We built this house about 8 years ago. Well my husband built it and then I came along whilst he was building it. Build a nest and a bird flies in as they say.

Anyway, the kitchen just doesn't work. The kitchen itself is actually grand but it's the living area. There is a conservatory off the kitchen where our dining table and chairs are and where we expected to eat. But it's just too cold and uninviting in the winter months. You would not go out there to eat. Not cosy. As as result we are all settled around the breakfast bar and two seat couch in the winter. At the weekends we go into the living room but week days when we get home from work we just want to light the Stove in the kitchen. It wasn't much of a problem before when there was two of us but now we have two kids and in the winter months it's a bit squashy around the breakfast bar for the four of us. And if we had anyone around for dinner or kids had a friend around one of us has to wait til another is finished. It's beautiful and perfect in the summer but really bad in the winter months.

We have had an architect up to look and draw plans for us and he has them done which we are collecting this week. Just wanted all your thoughts and ideas. You all helped me before with another room and it was fantastic.

What kind of shape is this room so I can look up picture ideas in Houzz?

Comentarios (448)

• papoodles
    hace 8 años

FragleO..you’ll think I am crazy..but if this was my ( beautiful!) hall,
    I’d be daring and paint the mirror frame a gorgeous warm color to tone done its
    bulk and seriousness and then add a piece of colorful art( as CDR suggested) that
    would just demand attention . Or, maybe you could add big colorful pillows to
    that lovely sofa in the hall? I just think you need some color to warm that
    space up..check out eBay uk for the fabric, there are wonderful remnants
    available for very little money.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks papoodles, yes I would be open to warm cushions!!!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Good idea, papoodles! Right now, very little in that hall is relating to each other.

You could buy silver vases and then keep the mirror the same.....or paint the mirror the color in the vases and/or art you buy.

Choose your large pieces first-----art and vases. Then you can accent and paint.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you.

So tall vases/urns to sit beside the radiator cover not on it.... Right?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Yes, beside it. There is no room on the radiator.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    What about these?

Picture no. 1 would be my first preference cause there cheap!! But only 3ft, too small?

Picture no. 2 ( 3 tier) really nice but expensive at 65e each. 3 1/2 ft

No. 3 80e each, 4 ft
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Just an opinion now that I see the whole area which is gorgeous by the way! I think you could put the lilies on the rad dead center and then a small quirky chair in the space where the plant was , all wood with colorful cushion and then of course a pair of coordinating pillows for the fainting chaise.
    Replace wedding pics to family room and find a lovely modern print(s) to hang exactly over each other to fill space by door as you already have that gorgeous mirror.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

The 3 foot ones will do nothing. I like that 3rd one. What is that sunflower in it?

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you soosun, I will take down wedding pics in due course.

The third ones CDR are of course the most expensive but if you think they'll work??

Someone just stuck in that sunflower its removal able
  • Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    So joe finally got mantle done.

What ye think?

It's the exact same timber and color as the beams. He put a lot of work into it.

Should I put candlestick or something on it or leave as is? Or something decorative beside stove?

The candlestick that were on the radiator in the hall ( see above pics) now have no home but if they don't suit I'll leave them be
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

The mantle is beautiful! A single candlestick will be lost on there. You could add several tall items, but how deep is the mantle?

Or, you could hang a piece of art.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Two candlesticks work?? The ones I had on radiator cover?

I will measure the depth
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    AKA the inspiration pics you show I would finish everything in the room before I put anything on the mantle. Those pics were obviously calling to your design sense. Sometime we want to
    Put all our ideas in one room and then repeat that with every room and we wonder why things don,t look like we think they should! Design takes patience and restraint and hard work. Pat you and Hubs on the back! It looks, as they say, I think across the Pond, Smashing!!!
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Just noticed the Eiffel Tower pillow. My daughter spent her 40 birthday there last month with her husband and loved it! Did you buy the pillow in Paris?
  • Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Smashing? Love it soosun!! Thanks for your message.

The Paris pillows were in one of those cheap stores you were telling me about. The shops that try give you "the look"!

Only put them with other ones yesterday. U think there ok?
  • Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Depth of mantle is 3 1/2 inches
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

No, I cannot recommend those clear candlesticks. They are too formal, too small, and being clear, you'll just see right through them.

You need something large there.

Or, you could consider leaving it blank and having coordinating art on either side of the mantle (above the tv and the other side.

• papoodles
    hace 8 años

CDR is right :-) You have to match the weight of the mantel with whatever you place there..but I would leave that impressive mantel empty.

• Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Love the pillows!
    Maybe try to find one pillow with color from your plaid chairs and also a yummy throw in a tone that matches or is a value light or dark of same color, also lampshade possibility or painted boxes for wood by the fireplace. Think tank going on here; tell your self you are going to list ten possible accessories in 'the' color, make list, go shopping for ones that look best. Just remember to be selective. Colors in room should be 60/30/10.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    I also noticed that you have black in the Roman shades. Frames would look pretty good done in black for you family photos; fan room is great place to have them. Cozy and personal!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Fragle, for your fireplace, right now the eye goes to the large dark items: the tv and the stove. That is not where you want the eye going.

Instead, draw the eye up.

The child photo is lost there. It is too small and not relating to anything. Perhaps there is another place for it in the room or some other room. I would suggest hanging art on either side of the fireplace. I would spend the money here on buying art before spending $ on the front hall.

I would pull the colors in from the tile in the kitchen. The blue.

Gabby Decor · Más información

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok thank you.

We had kind of agreed not to buy anymore pictures/art as we have a lot of kiddie photos with no where to put them. I have now stopped getting kiddie photos done.

If I come across some art I like ill make an exception and put two pieces on either wall of FP.

Yes, I think I'll leave the mantle empty.

Thank you
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Hi Fragle. I understand. One thing you could do, for now, is to hang another kid photo on the right side (over the tv) that balances the one on the left. Do you have 2 of the same size/similar frame?

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    I do thanks, or I think so, some similar frames. I'll try locate them.

Thank you.

Do you think it's best to leave mantle then empty?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

It's very narrow, so I can't see placing anything on it that will be large enough and you have no art.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok thanks
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Here is one where art is stacked on either side of the fireplace. You could do the same, but yours obviously, would be hung higher.

If you have matching frames, you can from just about anything: 4 pieces of fabric that coordinate, 4 pieces of wallpaper, etc. 4 prints of cut out of a book, photos you took on a trip.

Woodinville Retreat · Más información

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Right, I understand thanks.

I think you have me convinced on the art front, I won't actively look but if I happen to see something I'll ask your opinion on it!
  • Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi CDR,

Still waiting, hatching away. And while I've been waiting all I can see is that two pieces of art on either side would look really well!!!

So I will look this week. What size should they be? I guess u need the measurement of the wall first right?
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

In my opinion, the tv area looks unfinished. When in your budget, I would consider a built-in. For now, I would recommend drawing the eye away from that area with some sort of art above on both sides.

You have a lot of hard lines going one, so I suggest unframed art. I would pull in the blues from the kitchen. You could go a little wider than the boy art and obviously, you don't want to go higher than where the ceiling begins to angle.

You could also consider wall art that is not a picture.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok, yes I am thinking two canvas prints, I will send u a pic before I purchase!!
  • Susan Davis
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

I think art should be about 2/3 the width of wall and hung 3 inches apart vertically or 2.3 x 3 cm apart. It think that is the dimension? haha! Finish the room completely and then decide if something is 'missing' from the mantle. I like it bare myself, but finish the room.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks soosun
  • Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Hi all, sorry again for switching and changing.

Little ones in the same room now, it's a bit mismatched with it being a boy and girls room now. But it should only be for 2 years so I don't mind too much.

My children's pictures....I've taken your advice and will just out them in the children's room instead of around the house. Slowly and reluctantly there coming down.

Which wall should I put them on and is there a pattern as to which way I should put them up? There all different sizes and in different frames and I am not going to bother changing frames
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

I am seeing only 2 walls and your photos do not enlarge. The art should be hung only when the room is "finished" Is this room finished? One possible place for them is to the left of the window. I would hang only the 2 single faces (the 3rd one has too many prints in it). That might be able to go somewhere else, but I don't recommend ever multi-photos in one frame....they just get lost).

I would not hang the photos on the toy wall......too small for that large expanse.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Not finished yet, still have to get curtains and a light. I'm prob going to go with off white with them as there a lot of other colors going on in the room. What u think?

Here's better pictures
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Hanging art is the last thing you should do. I would move the dresser to the large wall where the toys are now. I would move the toys (not really appealing to look at) to where dresser is now. (So switch the 2)

The nightstand looks really odd where it is and is a safety hazard in front of the heater. I would remove it and add a floor lamp to the right of the bed.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Ok thank you. Will make those changes.

Where do you suggest I put the pics then?
  • Sussn Palmieri
    hace 8 años
    Wow... What a coincidence !!! I have the exact layout ; we have a sunroom off our kitchen . This room gets extremely hot in the summer and extremely cold in winter . Since it was an " add-on" it is not equipped with the central air or heat . We purchased an electric heater and a wall AC . We started renovating both kitchen and sunroom last month and just completed these big jobs this weekend . To solve the " climate" problem in the sunroom we are installing the heater/ AC combo this week ... It has a sleek look and is " noiseless ".
    My kitchen table is by the wall where you have something on the wall ( ??) . My formal dining room is off to the side where you have a door .. I have an arch
  • Sussn Palmieri
    hace 8 años
    In addition to my last comments . I would put your soda in the sunroom and move your table into the kitchen and put an area rug in that room . We originally had tiles throughout the 2 rooms but we changed the flooring to wood for a richer and more comfy look .
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

If you are adding drapes, one idea would be to hang the drapes ceiling height and then put the pictures above the window.

A second idea would be to hang them above the toy area, perhaps to the right of the bed.

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thanks CDR. Susan your kitchen looks amazing!
  • Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Baby girl born yesterday 8lbs 6oz. Name undecided! ❤️❤️❤️❤️All went well
  • genealoner
    hace 8 años
    It looks to me like you need an island in that kitchen. Take some tape and mark off on the floor leaving 36 inches around the perimeter between the island space and the existing cupboards.
    Congratulations on the baby!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    hace 8 años

fragle0 ... congratulations on the new addition to your family. Have been following your lovely changes. You probably won't have time to work on the decor for a while. Just wanted to suggest that you try pulling the nesting tables forward to be more in line with front of the chairs & placing your floor lamp to the back of them. This will give a bit more light at night for reading in that area.Also switching the plant by the fireplace & the one on the corner by the sofa.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 8 años

Congrats!

• papoodles
    hace 8 años

HI Fragle :-) This is the best news. Thank you for letting us know..I am so happy for you and your family. Congratulations!

• Susan Davis
    hace 8 años

Oh, how sweet. So is Charlotte in the running? I just wonder now that there is a princess named that, if the name will become popular. My grandaughter is named Camryn and I love that, but then again I am prejudiced. Really glad all went well!

Paint the childrens room a pale pale grey and accent with hot pink and navy blue for girl and boy!

• Caitriona
    Autor original
    hace 8 años
    Thank you all xxx
  • Liz Madigan
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

just scanned through this "epic" for first time, learned a lot. Thank you to CDR design and soosun2 and others for all their comments, you guys really are very generous, Many thanks. And enjoy fragile0, you deserve it!

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.