Houzz Logo Print
webuser_7015184

Need inexpensive ideas to make over the front of a restaurant.

This building was previously a repair garage, and it became a restaurant but the previous owners didn't change the facade. Now we have purchased the ugly duckling. It is a country restaurant, & we are probably using Turquoise with Red accents for the outside. But we need cheap creative and artistic design ideas.

Comentarios (19)

• Holly Pritchett- Smith
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    That name on the front is NOT ours, lol. Our restaurant is going to be named TwisTexas zbecause we like to put a twist on food.
  • PRO
    Construction Guaranteed
    hace 9 años
    You can spend a bunch on a facade or just get a BIG sign.
    The exterior lacks dimension. Entry doors are very important for a restaurant and any work you can do to them can help. Best wishes for your new restaurant.
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a Construction Guaranteed
  • mfwolfe
    hace 9 años
    Depending on the Texas winds you might want a wooden shed roof over most of the front and some chairs for the people waiting in line on the weekends
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a mfwolfe
  • PRO
    Eric E Flanders, AIA - Doyle Coffin Architecture
    hace 9 años
    It's a blank slate, you can run wild here. Vertical rough sawn ship-lapped lumber around the entry, let it ride up high to create a peak effect over the doors. Then add a trellis with heavy columns at the main door, hang a swinging sign from the trellis beam. LED lighting is all the rage now, add some up-lighting to light up the peak, and some down-lighting in the trellis to light the entry. And then, finish it off with a set of longhorns on the peak.
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a Eric E Flanders, AIA - Doyle Coffin Architecture
  • bgfuqua
    hace 9 años
    be sure the concrete along building is even - hard to tell - people are quick to sue. also need decent outdoor lighting. door needs to be more attractive, and the peeling paint looks bad. have a big sign up pretty high so can be seen easily over parked vehicles. good luck.
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a bgfuqua
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    hace 9 años
    Is all that gravel in front a large parking lot?
  • Holly Pritchett- Smith
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Yes, gravel.
  • Holly Pritchett- Smith
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you everybody who has given us feedback so far. Your thoughts are Greatly appreciated!
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    Congratulations on your new restaurant. What's the budget range for outside fix-up?

Have you seen any of the episodes with restaurants fixed by Jon Taffer on "Bar Rescue"? Outside appearance is important. Good thing you are already thinking about it.
  • Holly Pritchett- Smith
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    I love Bar Rescue and the restaurant makeover shows. I would have to ask my husband about the actual budget, but we won't be open for months. So we will do a little at a time.
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 9 años
    Focus on the food first - people will come for that no matter what the appearance, just as long as it is super clean! Let the profits improve the exterior down the road a bit. Food service is a hard business and most fail - keep the money in the kitchen and table service. Add the exterior frills later when everyone is talking about you and the lines have formed and need a place to stand out of the sun!
  • Holly Pritchett- Smith
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    That is definitely true. We are in the food business but haven't had a regular restaurant in many years. But yes, it will be clean with delicious food. But goodness it's ugly! So we will do what we can to fix it up.
  • PRO
    Lane Williams Architects
    hace 9 años
    A fairly simple steel awning, as one might find on many commercial buildings, will add character and create welcome weather protection over the doors and windows. Larger doors and windows would also be welcoming--allowing a better view of all the bustling activity inside. Straighten out the ragged sidewalk. Add a few large planters with simple green plants. Integrate signage with the facade--you need a design professional for the awning and signage.
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a Lane Williams Architects
  • Jessica Kerry Mack
    hace 9 años
    Just a passing thought, since this is actually an old garage, a garage themed decor might work depending on the type of food you're planning. My dad's an antique car nut and so we're always going to restaurants that have "car" themes - do it right and you'll become the local spot for the antique car clubs come after their meets... Do a google search for images of garage or car themed restaurants for ideas. Doesn't have to be 50s drive in. One place I never forgot had a drink called "Windshield wiper fluid" LOL!
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 9 años
    I think getting red and blue (or turquoise) clear plastic corrugated sheeting and then adding them in large colour blocks on the exterior would be stunning. You could add uplights so that at night you glow in red and turquoise. Inexpensive but could be very effective
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a ASVInteriors
  • yoboseiyo
    hace 9 años
    i like ASV's idea of colored plastic sheeting. paint the building white first, so the colors on the sheeting are true.

are you going to have an outside eating area? if so, which door would it use? which is the main entrance?

if you will have an outdoor area, you could use white (painted, plastic, whatever) vertical members and the colored plastic sheeting as fence material to differentiate the outside seating area.
  • Holly Pritchett- Smith
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    We have such extremely hot weather there that I don't know if we can do an outdoor eatingarea. But we would like to. Eventually we would be able to afford a good covered area with those awesome fans that have a cool mist blowing! I guess the double doors will be the main entrance. I also have considered using something to differentiate areas outside for eating, parking, and music. Interesting that the turquoise and red color scheme has been brought up, because those are the two main colors that we have considered using on the outside! I do like the ASV Interiors ideas.
  • PRO
    Counter Dimensions
    hace 9 años
    Think I would opt for a nice paint job with a warm color or bright colors and a big fabric awning . . . at least covering the doors and windows L and R (if that is main entrance). Big enough if raining 6 or 8 people can stand under while people going in and out . . . . cause you are going to be that busy. Search Houzz for fabric awnings.
    Holly Pritchett- Smith agradeció a Counter Dimensions
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.