Houzz Logo Print
markella123

My granite is Turning Green!

Markella Dr
hace 10 años
Has anyone ever seen this before? My granite was put in 3 weeks ago and now part of the edge is turning green. It looks like it is getting darker and bigger. My fabricator came by yesterday and he says he's never seen this before. I started doing research because there is no way he's never seen this before! Anyone have any advice....thanks!

Comentarios (109)

• PRO
    Sugar Loaf Quarries
    hace 7 años

If the granite is turning green on the top or by the seams, it is "blooming" caused by a chemical reaction. It's been covered on how to treat. However, what the op seems to be talking about, green on the edge, is from copper in the stone oxidizing. The only solution that I have found is to re-edge the stone (60-100 grit on up) and then seal the edge immediately.

If this is the problem that I've encountered in the past the minerals in the stone are reacting to the air. In the factory the slabs are polished and sealed before this could happen but your fabricator probably didn't apply sealer until after installation. That's normal but in this case it allowed the stone to oxidize everywhere they made cuts.

• granite guru
    hace 7 años

The OP picture is hands down 100% a reaction caused by the accelerant used on cyanoacrylate glues "Green bloom". If you've seen it on seams and tops its cause some one used cyanoacrylate glue to do the seam and repair pits and micro cracks on top. The same is said for this picture, The fabricator ran his ogee edge then made repairs while finishing it by hand with cyanoacrylate glues weeks later it turns green because he went to hard and close with the accelerator spray. Slabs that react to oxidization will form rust spots (not green) and even streak down the polish of the slab sealed or not sealed. Granite will absorb humidity not just from its polished surface but from the humidity in the air like a sponge, it will rust from the inside out. slab suppliers dont usually seal their slabs after its been polished its in the fab shop and home that its sealed. To my knowledge the only supplier sealing their slabs is Costentino and its a selected series of stone called Sensa which you pay more for. Most of the big suppliers are now keeping their stock indoors to help prevent oxidization its really not that big of a problem any more.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

granite guru:

Sorry, but I like Sugar Loaf's explanation much better. What reason would anyone have for applying accelerant to the edge of a countertop? There doesn't appear to be any repairs having been made there.

If natural iron can cause granite to rust orange, why wouldn't natural copper cause green oxidation?

• PRO
    Sugar Loaf Quarries
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Granite guru, thank you for explaining what green bloom is. Again.
    I try to be the first to admit my own faults and you caught me red handed. Granite slabs aren't sealed by the factory, there are a few quartz products (man made, not granite) that are sealed, the one you mention being the foremost. However there are many granites that are resin coated, chiefly mesh backed stones (like the op's if I remember correctly). It's essentially the same thing. The stone is protected from the elements.
    Yes, there are many stones with iron present, and yes they can oxidize (rust) and turn the stone red in spots or streaks. However (again) we are talking about copper, it oxidizes green. I have personally had this problem on a stone called Persian Treasure. I thought it was blooming, so I stopped using accelerator. It still turned green so I re-edged it and didn't use any CA glue. It still turned green so I did some research, found out it was copper, and sealing it immediately after polishing stopped the oxygen in the air from turning it green.
    On a final note, Mr. Guru (if that's even your real name), the only person that could be "100% hands down" certain it is green bloom caused by accelerator is the dolt that soaked it in accelerator in the first place. So I'm lead to believe that this is your job and you need to go fix it rather than post about it. Or it isn't and you're just guessing, just like me.
    Maybe it's green bloom: use some oven cleaner.
    Maybe it's copper: re-polish and seal it.
    Maybe it's plant based: 12% peroxide poultice.
    Maybe it's lime jello: reevaluate your life choices.
    When a solution isn't working you need to take another look at the problem. If it's just green bloom, why are you still talking about it?

• Kelli Stein
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

Wanted to give you all an update on mine above, I had our local granite house come out, he said it was some kind of chemical, adhesive or something that happened in the fabrication process. He was able to polish it down, remove the greenish dark spots on the edges and repair the granite, it looks much better now, no greenish spots you see in the pictures I posted above.

• granite guru
    hace 7 años

Joseph. On these types of stone you almost always have to touch up the edges. The mica, micro cracks and pits in this stone is sealed up on the top with resin from the slab supplier but resin dosent penetrate deep enough into the stone so the edges remain porous and brittle. As you finish these edges a good fabricator will touch up any defects in the stones edge with glue in the OP case cyanoacrylate glue "quick tac". The edge in the OP picture is an ogee and the top of the ogee usually comes out fairly sharp and is eased out by hand after the shaping is done, sharp edges on a stone like this means chips so before easing the edge you glue back in pieces of the stone and sand them down to a polish. That being said here is the photo in question again with obvious repairs. I pointed out the mica cause usually that needs a little shot of glue also because its like paper that flakes right out.

sugar loaf. if your just guessing dont give advice on a forum where people seek real answers from professionals who dont guess and use their years of experience to give helpful answers and solutions to "real" problems in peoples "real" lives. Dont throw out a response unless your sure of your answer like I am 100% hands down sure this is a reaction to cyanoacrylate glue which by the way is from 2014 and if was my job would have been resolved hours after a phone call.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

I'm terrified of bloom, so I rarely spritz, I usually unscrew the spritz cap and dribble in exactly the area I want. If I ever get a bloom, it's gonna be very small.

I think both of you guys are right. If stone has iron for rust, it could certainly have copper for green. On the other hand, if these are in fact repairs, the accelerator bloom makes sense, especially considering it isn't apparently happening anywhere else on the edges.

• PRO
    Sugar Loaf Quarries
    hace 7 años
    Guru, I really hope that it is green bloom. That's way easier to fix than copper oxidation, the piece doesn't have to be re-edged. However...

I also did happen to notice that this post started in 2014 and the issue didn't seem to be resolved so I decided to offer a different problem and solution for the same symptom. A situation that I've learned from in my years of experience. Knowledge is a terrible thing to hoard.

You sound like a pretty learned fella (lady? idk, I'm guessing) and you're spot on with your information but, and I'm not trying to poop in your soup, if you weren't there; you are guessing. Again, I hope you're right and if I were to wager I'd put my money on green bloom too. But if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, but duck poison ain't killing it, you may need to start suspecting other waterfowl.

Unfortunately the op has not returned to the thread to verify if their top was ever fixed and if so by what means, so we may never know the true answer.
  • PRO
    Synergy Stone Inc
    hace 7 años

I am a fabricator as well and just wanted to add my 2 cents . The Te Blossom does work but I have found it does better on some stones than others . They now manufacture accelerants that do not cause green bloom , they do not work as well but are the safest option for repairs . Also I wanted to ad that the quarries are now using accelerants to speed up their resin cure time and I have witnessed green bloom before it gets to a fabricator . I spoke with the owner of a granite distributor and we both agreed that the problem was happening more frequently with Brazilian stones for whatever reasons we don't know why . In the cases which we couldn't eliminate the bloom , we replaced the countertops

• kkenning
    hace 7 años

laurenldrag: I still have the discoloration on my white princess island island......just learning to live with it, unfortunately.

• kkenning44
    hace 7 años

Here's my island today after scrubbing it down w bar keepers.

• granite guru
    hace 7 años

great! I use the VIM on quartz, Barkeepers friend I used on sintered products like neolith and dekton or lapitec. it removed a stubborn orange dye that stained a big island in white lapitec that nothing else was removing. I was ready to refabricate the damn thing untill I tried barkeepers friend and to my relief it worked. Its now another of many products I hold at the shop. Some times the 5$ products are better than the 50$ products that are made specific for the stone industry!

• PRO
    Stone
    hace 6 años

i have a problem

please help me

• granite guru
    hace 6 años
    Need more info. Is that a counter top or a floor? A close up of the stone itself so We can determine if it's marble like crema marfil, sandstone or a limestone. The finish is it Honed, flamed or sandblasted or a very used polish. Also is that mold on the wall? You might have a bigger problem than just your tile. Need more info!
  • PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    hace 6 años

Travertine or limestone would be my guess. What setting material was used for install? Or was something laid atop of the tiles that was wet and could have bleed through to stain prior to install?

• PRO
    Stone
    hace 6 años

its marble stone and used for floor with Concrete and very used polish with abarsive

someone we have this problem in factory befor insall

i think this is a chemical reaction with stone and epoxy and
    Concrete.is it Possible?

why its only Margin of tile?

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    hace 6 años
    Última modificación: hace 6 años

Considering the look of mold on the back wall, is there a water source near by that could be leaking? I'm wondering if that could be iron deposits within the stone..?
    Iron + moisture = rust.
    If that isn't mold on the back wall, moisture from your setting material can sometimes absorb into the stone tile and affect these deposits.

This is a guess. Nothing is known for sure until tested by a lab.

• granite guru
    hace 6 años
    If this is outdoors used as patio stones I would suggest trying a professional grade cleaning agent. Visit a local monument dealer and see if they can hook you up with some thing similar to this (see photo). This will etch the finish if it is in fact marble but the etching will end up looking way better than the result we see now. Be sure to cover the whole area so its results are uniform. Don't let it pool up keep brushing it around.
  • katiebug6
    hace 6 años
    I’m so glad I stumbled upon this discussion. We had a granite countertop installed as part of a dry bar when we finished our basement about six months ago. A week or two after install, I noticed some blue discoloration, which I can best describe as looking like spilled Windex. When the discoloration didn’t lift or fade with basic cleaning, I convinced myself it must just be a natural color in the veining of the granite that I somehow overlooked when selecting the slab. It seemed unlikely that I wouldn’t have noticed something so obvious, but since we hadn’t yet used the countertop and because the blue seemed to repeat in a few different places, it was the only explanation I could come up with. Fast forward to last week when I finally got around to hanging some mirrors above the basement dry bar. I started thinking more about the blue discoloration and realized that I don’t recall seeing the blue immediately after the granite was installed, only a week or two later. The more I thought about it, the more I started to doubt that it was a naturally occurring color variation in the granite. So, I started searching the internet and eventually found this thread. Seeing as we were so far past the installation date, I wanted to try anything I could on my own before reaching out to the granite company we worked with. I happened to have some lemon scented Easy Off oven cleaner on hand, so I gave it a whirl. After a number of applications over the course of a few days, I’m happy to report that the blue color is almost entirely gone from our granite. (See before & after photos.) THANK YOU, granite guru, and others for shedding light on this odd phenomenon and for providing effective tips for dealing with it.
  • kkenning
    hace 6 años

I have not tried the Easy Off oven cleaner (I do know it works great cleaning fiberglass shower pans) on our White Princess. I'm going to try that out. Thanks

• beejkalley
    hace 6 años
    Hello, wondering if someone will be able to help. I installed my kitchen about 4 months ago and i can see some small areas of my granite is green. Would someone be able to help confirm what it is? I have attached some pictures..
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años
  • granite guru
    hace 6 años
    70$ for joes suggestion and you still need acetone and bleach, or 7$for a can of lemon scented easy off oven cleaner. Be sure to only saturate the affected spot.
  • beejkalley
    hace 6 años
    @granite guru thank you for your comment. Is this a case of green bloom? Also i am from the UK so is there an equivalent for what you have suggested as Amazon is currently selling it for over $100!!
  • granite guru
    hace 6 años
    There’s no way the product I’m talking about sells for more than 10$.
  • beejkalley
    hace 6 años
    I kid you not. 1 aerosol can on Amazon UK from a seller in America is costing £104.21. There is another seller who is charging even more!!
  • beejkalley
    hace 6 años
    cost to order/deliver in the UK
  • granite guru
    hace 6 años
    Wow ok. From what I can make out on my iPhone it’s not that bad. The only one that has potential to be a reaction to CA glues is this one(see photo) just keep an eye on it if it’s getting bigger or not over the next few weeks. If not I wouldn’t worry about it.
  • kavlo26
    hace 6 años

I bought a new house about 3 months ago. During my initial walkthrough, I noticed that one of the granite island bullnose had a chip on the seem so I requested the builder to fix it. When I moved in a week later, it was indeed fixed and looked great until a few weeks ago. I noticed it started to turn a little green (see pic) where it was repaired. First thing I did was search online and found this thread (which has been extremely helpful!).

After learning what this problem is and some remedies for it, I called the builder to check it out. The builder also noticed the greening so he called the granite installer and told them it was turning green. When the granite folks came, they mentioned that they have seen it in the past (if an accelerant was used during installation, as mentioned by granite guru) and they came prepared with a blow torch, and some acetone. In about 30-40 seconds, the heat from the blow torch pretty much removed the green spot or at least made it very unnoticeable. I did touch the granite after it was blow torched (oops) and I’m pretty sure I could have fried an egg on it.

I’m glad they were nice about it and told me let them know if it comes back or if I see it somewhere else! I would have tried the oven cleaner method if the builder refused to fix it. Just wanted to share my green bloom experience!

• Melanie Lombardi
    hace 6 años

Can someone help me? Moved in (new construction) 1 month ago, during final walk through noticed this ring stain (shown in first two pictures), and some random blue staining (shown in 3rd picture). The granite company has sent a guy out 3 times already to try different things to lift it, none of which has worked. I concocted my own poultice of baking soda and peroxide which did appear to lighten it *a touch*. I have no idea what these stains are and they refuse to leave!!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 6 años

" I did touch the granite after it was blow torched (oops) and I’m pretty sure I could have fried an egg on it."

If your stone has been resined, and most granites are plasticized, that's toast now. The resin in resinated stone can't take that kind of heat.

• PRO
    Quartz - Stone Care, Cleaning & Repair Experts
    hace 6 años

Melanie Lombardi Its rust you need to use something like phosphoric acid on this to remove it. Put a few drops on the surface around where you have the stain and leave it for an hour or so. No it will not hurt your granite.

for the comment above......Blow touch! lmao you are a moron! I see that Granite guru thinks the same.

Most granites are gangsaw and the metal particles come from to the surface in the form of rust after awhile, if you have been cleaning them with soap and water for an example.

The spider webbing is fairly normal with granite, you can use something like Tenax Pectro and it will fix this issue. But if it is spider webbing then I would say it needs sealing. The Petro will do this without changing the color. Just clean it with acetone first and see if that lifts off the white areas in the quartz of the granite.

• PRO
    hace 6 años

beejkalley bam or easy off is made by the same company world wide in the uk it is Mr Muscle

• Melanie Lombardi
    hace 6 años

Thank you so much for your reply! Do you have a particular brand that you use? (Evaporust?) or is there a specific concentration that you recommend? I have found concentrations ranging from 10% to 100%

• PRO
    hace 6 años

Melanie Lombardi you only need a slight dilution, just remember you are dealing with acid and need to take the necessary precautions. In other words use at your own risk. I would not be using 100% or close to it.

I would suggest you grab some rust converter that is phosphoric acid base, that would be your safest option.

• kavlo26
    hace 6 años
    @Joseph The fabricator did reapply something in that area. Not sure what it was. Looked like some kind of paste. Everything looks fine so far.

@Quartz With all do respect, this thread is about green bloom and possible chemical reactions with an accelerant spray, not rust. So yes, a blow torch could very well work for greening problems...And it has worked in my case.
  • beejkalley
    hace 6 años
    @quartz thank you. How would i go about using it?
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

beejkalley for what? as the information was only specific for Melanie Lombardi

We need to make sure you have rust if that is what you are referring to.

• beejkalley
    hace 6 años
    @quartz sorry i thought you were referring to my pictures i posted and advising on alternative to what granite guru had suggested. Judging by my pic could this be a case of green bloom? There is definitely from my observation a change from when it was installed in certain areas.
  • PRO
    hace 6 años

beejkalley it is what granite guru has said.

• Ann DC
    hace 6 años
    Do y’all think this piece of marble has iron deposits causing the green vein? It is a slab that has been out in the elements for 18mos.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 6 años

snapdragon,,that looks like the natural color of those large quartz deposits. look on the back,,,is there green poking through the mesh? if not, it's probably just the natural hue or the stone.

if you notice, that green is the same wherever those quartz deposits are located. It's perfectly symmetrical which means it's natural.

• PRO
    Cinar Interiors, Inc.
    hace 6 años

If you're going to see mineral deposits, it usually happens after the stone has been installed. Having the slabs on end allows both the top and bottom to breathe properly and 99% of the time does not affect any mineral deposits.

• Ann DC
    hace 6 años
    with all the talk about installation sealers and resins gone wrong can you give any advice about installing this piece of marble that has been the elements for 18 months? I don’t care about a pristine “shiny forever” piece of countertop- Thus my choice to go with marble- what exactly is going to happen if I don’t seal the marble and have it installed and just have it buffed to a shine?
  • Mitch Bothun
    hace 5 años

Sorry Joeseph Corlett LLC, but granite guru is probly correct. This stone is ice white granite. It is not a peice of steel. There are definitely flaws in the newly exposed cut edges of stone or router shaped edges. Micro fisures is what i would say was probably stablized to process the stone. Probly with Hot Stuff red label Ca glue from satalite city so it really gets in there. Great fix if you have tested it.

• Dan Goladay
    hace 3 años

Any easy off? I see a couple of different ones at the store. There is a blue can that is lemon scent (fume free), and a yellow can that doesn't appears to be fresh scent (says heavy duty). I am having a bit of bloom on White Ice Granite, a week after install. Fabricator is coming out tomorrow, so we'll see what they say, but I want to be prepared.

• PRO
    Sugar Loaf Quarries
    hace 3 años

Either one will work. But I find the yellow seems to work better.

• Karen Phillpott
    hace 3 años

How do you apply it? Just spray on and let sit? how long do you leave it?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 3 años

Less is more. I'd spray it on and wipe it off after a few seconds. If that doesn't do it, give it a few minutes. Go as long as it takes, but incrementally.

• Mary Elizabeth
    hace 2 años

Following...

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.