Houzz Logo Print
vpbarreras

Bought a 750 sq ft 1BR in Manhattan that needs renovating...HELP!

vpbarreras
hace 9 años
última modificación:hace 9 años
This is quickly becoming a gut renovation, though that was not the original intention when I purchased the apartment.

Recommended work:
Kitchen - gut renovation
Bathroom - gut renovation
Floors - replace wood floors
Closet - re-work
Electrical - upgrade to circuit breakers and re-wire
Walls & Ceiling - re-finish w/fiber glass and paint
A/C & Heating - build cabinets under windows to cover these units

What is the average cost to make these renovations for a 750 sq ft 1BR in Manhattan? Pictures are attached.

Thank you, in advance, for any feedback and suggestions!

Comentarios (39)

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    hace 9 años
    The costs are very high in Manhattan. Example, laying a cork floating floor in the rest of the USA = $2-3 per square foot. Manhattan = $6-8 per square foot (glue down cork flooring = $14 - $18 per square foot). And that is just for flooring. Manhattan doubles the average price/labour costs seen throughout the USA.

Do the "updates" to get things to code (electrical and plumbing) first. This can cause quite a bit of damage...which is fine because you will be doing everything anyways. You will get a very good picture of how much this is going to cost by doint the rewiring.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Hirshson Architecture + Design
    hace 9 años
    It can be challenging to get even the simplest work done in Manhattan without significant hurdles. Your building will likely require you to first pass through their architect for review before submitting to the NYC DOB for a permit. Your project will require both plumbing and electrical certifications for completion.

Reasonable quality materials and construction in Manhattan averages $200-$300psf depending upon the level of detail.

I suggest you start gathering Ideabooks for the kitchen and the bathroom so your prospective architect/designer and general contractor understand your expectations for the finished product.

Best of luck with your renovation!
    vpbarreras agradeció a Hirshson Architecture + Design
  • PRO
    Meg Blu Home
    hace 9 años
    I know it sounds silly to re-emphasize this but definitely plan to design your kitchen around you appliances and not the other way around. It's easier to design/find cabinets once you know what appliances you will use. I looked it up and we comfortably fit the Miele 18" dishwasher, the Liebherr 24" refrigerator and the 24" Viking range but had I gone about designing my kitchen the way I do now here in LA I would have been up a creek because most standard appliances are just too big and I would have been left with no storage. Same thing for bathrooms. Most standard bathtubs are 60 or 72" although there are other sizes but there are less choices and often there will be lead times for fabrication. Kohler makes a really nice Greek bath that's great for tight spaces and Americh has some nice modern baths that are pretty narrow (we just did a 72" tub with a 32" width- 5 weeks lead time but the perfect fit in a narrow bathroom).

Again, just plan plan plan and things wi go great. And of course be sure to fill your neighbors in on everything. It will make for a smoother renovation.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Meg Blu Home
  • PRO
    A. Tobin Interiors, Inc.
    hace 9 años
    Congratulations on your new apt! There is something wonderful about owning your own place in NYC! Saying that it can be daunting when it seems that a lot of work needs to be done. You should first meet with the board if it is a coop to see what are the requirements. Then meet with an architect/designer they will give you a budget cost depending on what you want done. We have renovated many apartments in NYC both with and without architects depending on the scope of work and the building requirements. Good luck and let me know if you need further assistance, we know a lot of architects that we could recommend for your project.
    vpbarreras agradeció a A. Tobin Interiors, Inc.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    hace 9 años
    Get into a relationship with a contractor with some connections for the time being... happy for you an your new space. Looks nice. How handy are you? Make a list of prioritys and figure out the budget allowed. Then, find that contractor! In NYC, you are a bit challenged.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Sustainable Dwellings
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 9 años
    Megcblu's advice on designing cabinetry around the apartment-size appliances rather than trying to fit in full size appliances is very sensible in the situation.
    vpbarreras agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • houssaon
    hace 9 años
    I've seen parquet flooring in a dark stain that looked very nice. Maybe replacing the floor is one expense you can avoid.
    living room · Más información
    A white or light gray stain would look good, too.
    Modular Sofa 01421 · Más información
    vpbarreras agradeció a houssaon
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Congratulations! The place looks great! In my experience having worked in NY for the last 10 years, the budget will be around 150K..
    Anything fancy and it will be more..
    vpbarreras agradeció a Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • PRO
    Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
    hace 9 años
    Good morning vpbarreras. I have over 30 years in the New York-Boston area. My best recommendation would be to initially hire someone to help sort the pricing out. This is not a small endeavor on your part, and small % missteps can translate into some serious pricing issues later. Good professional advice will actually save you money at the end. On this I have no doubt.
    One of the people you should be talking to is Agnese Purvinska . She is listed here as Aggie Designs. I've done business with her and found her to be extremely open, friendly, and reasonable ($)
    I think she would be invaluable in working out your project issues.
    Good Luck!
    vpbarreras agradeció a Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
  • vpbarreras
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you all for your comments! I have already met with an architect and a designer, separately, and the range of estimates have been between $100k to $200k, depending on whether or not an architect will be required and which finishes I wish to use. I did receive similar advice regarding kitchen appliances and have already begun researching professional grade smaller efficient models. The designer, who I found on Houzz, immediately recommended this route having done many renovations in Manhattan. I'm having slight buyer's remorse as I did not anticipate renovations would be so expensive, but on the other hand, I own a little piece of Manhattan which I plan to live in for a very long time and will reflect my style. Thanks again for your comments & advice!
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    hace 9 años
    Joseph, thank you so much!
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    hace 9 años
    That property will increase in value quickly, I wouldn't be worried about that at all. And there is a huge emotional value in design and freshly done construction. It will carry you for many years to come!
    vpbarreras agradeció a Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    hace 9 años
    The existing hardwood floors are a VERY old engineered (formerly called laminated) version of a "unit block" with a peeled/rotary cut one piece face/top layer.
    Formerly used solely as a utilitarian approach to having a "hardwood floor".
    They SHOULD come out easily... the old installation process wasn't as good as what we exercise nowadays.

Definitely MUCH more attractive options available for glue-down or even floating installations. Although the "old days" pricing for that floor have gone the way of the dinosaur.
    Depending on what you decide to budget for that aspect of your "reno"... I'm sure you'll find something MUCH better that will prove to be more timeless while having a positive impact on the overall property value... as well as adding to the décor.
    Operating as a manufacturer, I can only suggest material pricing on the products we produce, which are manufactured to spec and sold by us.
    Unfortunately, we have no idea what the labor costs or profit margins would be in your area, although I'm of the understanding that it can lean toward pricy.

As I usually interject, don't make the mistake of thinking LOW pricing makes something a "good deal" in flooring or any other aspect of your project.
    You get what you pay for.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Select Hardwood Floor Co.
  • vpbarreras
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you for your comments! I'm amazed that you have identified these tiles just by my photo. You are absolutely spot on as to what these are. Do you have a view regarding which is better, solid wood versus engineered wood?
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    vpbarreras...
    I guess I have the "benefit" of being in the biz for 38 years, and having worked with a lot of items that aren't easy or possible to find nowadays. We've actually custom made 9"x 9" blocks to match those, although I certainly wouldn't want that news spread around (haha).
    As far as a preference between solid & engineered... they BOTH have their place.
    I guess SOLID would be the 1st choice providing the location is suitable for solid installation.

Engineered is typically considered for installation over concrete (in plank, strip, or linear patterns), however solid material can be used in a "parquet" pattern over cured & suitable concrete as well.

Keep us informed of what you find out on your end... or feel free to email me at: david@selecthardwoodfloor.com with any questions.
    We ship all over the U.S. if you can't find something titillating locally.
  • PRO
    Xulon Floors
    hace 9 años
    Select Hardwood Floor Co. = The MAN!!! Buy your floor from him, fly me to New York, buy me new tools, and have me install and finish your floors... and you will still save money based on the pricing I heard earlier...LOL!!
    vpbarreras agradeció a Xulon Floors
  • vpbarreras
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Xulon Floors - what a tempting offer! Let me see how this comes together and I'll let you know if it makes sense - if you're serious... Thanks again!
  • PRO
    Xulon Floors
    hace 9 años
    Lol I would do it just to say I did. You'd have to convince my wife though. It would be fun. Let me know.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Xulon Floors
  • PRO
    hace 9 años
    Wow Xulon (Chris)... thanks for the upgraded rating... I'm not worthy! haha
    As long as you're pitching for a trip to the big city, we could produce the floor in a custom PREFINISHED format and save vpbarreras $$$ on some of those tools you've got her buying... lol
    I'll even go with you to act as guide, having worked there.
    There are definitely some "nuances" to working in & around the Apple.
  • vpbarreras
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you, gentlemen, for the offers! Once I have the quote for flooring, I'll reach out to you and let's see if the above ideas make sense. It would make a great story!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 9 años
    In New York very expensive. But worth it. It needs updated. I want your dog. Very cute.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • PRO
    Construction Guaranteed
    hace 9 años
    LOL. Xulon Floors is correct. Fly my crew there and you will still save money over local prices. Nice looking place. Best wishes.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Construction Guaranteed
  • vpbarreras
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you, Nancy Travisinteriors! My little dog, Gypsie, is a wonderful special Shih Tzu. She was bred by my brother & his wife from pure bred dogs. She comes with me almost everywhere!
  • PRO
    Design + Color
    hace 9 años
    Select the floor first but install it last! A "decent" kitchen will cost $18K while a bathroom is $12K + materials. The floors from $5 to $20 per sq/ft (too many options). A good clean-up (detailing) will cost about $7K without built-ins. Panel box may need an upgrade?
    vpbarreras agradeció a Design + Color
  • jayne1313
    hace 9 años
    We live in a city on the east coast and would guess a gut renovation in New York City would be 150-200K depending on the appliances that you select., and whether or not you are having custom cabinetry made, replacing windows, and installing a solid wood floor.

We wouldn't dream of spending that kind of money and not placing a 30" range and 24" sink/basin. I have a 390 square foot Studio (now a rental) and it has a 30" range, 24" sink basin, 24" dishwasher, and 30" refrigerator in a separate eat-in kitchen.

SubZero now makes a 24" refrigerator/freezer specifically designed for smaller apartments such as in New York. We currently have the 27" SubZero (now discontinued) that was in another one bedroom smaller than yours. We only have ab 18" dishwasher where we now live as we never use it so a 24" wasn't necessary for 2 people.

What others who live in less expensive rural areas do not understand is the additional costs associated with work in a big city. We have now started a renovation and additional costs include the fact we are on a third floor with our elevator (added costs by general contractor), and will also need to hire a crane, permit for crane and police detail to bring up our countertops, range, and SubZero.

Let us know what you do. It would be fun to follow your renovation.
    vpbarreras agradeció a jayne1313
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    hace 9 años
    knockout renovation (in manhattan) will give you an itemized list, and separate labor from materials. you can choose your materials and take control of that cost, at least.
    vpbarreras agradeció a Mean Design
  • Nana Adams
    hace 9 años
    Your little shi tzu is so beautiful, I have two of these, they are lovely
    vpbarreras agradeció a Nana Adams
  • bksavy
    hace 9 años
    Paint, change light fixtures and live with the rest! Enjoy it and something stress about it being perfect. It will win a work in progress! It will keep you busy and allow you to prioritize, focus and get the things you want without sacrificing! Take your time Nd enjoy! Congratulations!!!
    vpbarreras agradeció a bksavy
  • bksavy
    hace 9 años
    Sorry. Screen went blank. Typos :-(
    vpbarreras agradeció a bksavy
  • jayne1313
    hace 9 años
    What did you decide to do? Gut renovation?
    vpbarreras agradeció a jayne1313
  • vpbarreras
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi jayne1313 - thanks for your interest! Yes, I decided on the gut renovation. Demolition should start in the next week - 10 days. All that will be left of the place will be the front door. Its true what they say "twice as much and twice as long" compared to what I had initially thought. Once its done, I will post "after" photos. I'm curious to know if you will think it was worth the pain & cost!
  • PRO
    Design + Color
    hace 9 años
    As long as you're happy with the results, it's worth all the headaches!
  • Grace Reed
    hace 9 años
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Incorporated LLC
    hace 9 años
    Love to hear or see any in progress reports - I will be undertaking similar in Brooklyn Hts...
  • PRO
    LD Design Construction Inc.
    hace 9 años
    I have done many jobs around manhattan and for you to do a gut renovation it will cost you $150k based on what you want exactly. That would be a maximum price.
  • PRO
    Incorporated LLC
    hace 9 años
    Sorry - just saw this was an old post that I had asked for pictures! Any pictures, please post! Sorry my information is not of use since person probably undertook this 6 months ago....
  • PRO
    INS Contractors
    hace 8 años
    We would estimate $200 - $300 per SF depending on finished selected.
  • PRO
    World of Interiors
    hace 6 años

WE ARE COMPLETE MANUFACTURES OF KITCHEN & BATH PRODUCTS AS WELL AS IMPORTERS OF ALL YOUR TILE AND PLUMBING NEEDS, WE DO ALL CLOSETS AND FLOORS AS WELL. HAVE A 9,000 SQF SHOWROOM IN BROOKLYN

I CAN BE REACHED AT (917)509-6847 RUSSELL

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.