Houzz Logo Print
monicagaw

Need Help to get a Wow factor in Living Room

monicagaw
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
I cannot pick a style I like. I keep going for boring, but I want a glamorous, elegant look. It's the first room you walk into and I want people to think WOW. I have a vaulted ceiling in the room. I hate the look of several pictures on a wall..group of 2 or 3 large ones is ok. I like symmetry and I want black, beige and white with 1 accent color. Not orange or yellow. I just bought this rug, but I'm not sure it works. The painting and rug can be returned so I don't have to keep it. The curtains are temporary too. Only furniture and carpeting need to stay. No florals. (Disregard the picture date..it's broken).
Please help, I've been doing this for 2 years and can't figure it out.

Comentarios (798)

• bubbles0208
    hace 9 años
    Última modificación: hace 9 años
    Have you thought of playing with greener tones since your walls seem to have a tinge of green, and you have a plant so green could be your "accent" color so to speak.

Transitional Living Room · Más información

Some green art options:

http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/cascading-ferns,mm1230/

http://www.greatbigcanvas.com/view/scotch-pine-pinus-sylvestris-close-up-europe,1050372/?s=e02PFuDG4em1jmrQNukpQibugXjXJ9T8Csg73SOw7YrqyEDOpGTGjcO1kzpt

Sorry, I don't know how to have the picture show up on the discussion boards, hence the links.
    monicagaw agradeció a bubbles0208
  • bubbles0208
    hace 9 años
    Giorgetti Penthouse 2 - Plaza · Más información

Some more wall art:
    http://static.greatbigcanvas.com/images/singlecanvas_thick_none/getty-images/england-oxfordshire-banbury,1106053.jpg?max=540

Also, it might be worth seeing how the room will look with the original B&W carpet that you had in your first post, and then the green art. While I like the current carpet, the curves might be "too much" to go with another piece of art?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    All I can say Hmmmmm.
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
    My thought too.
  • bubbles0208
    hace 9 años
    I'm no pro, but since we're trying every thing under the sun here, why not? :)
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    That's my point nmalmeida.
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
    30 bucks for a gallon of paint and this dilemma could have been solved 6 weeks ago, and NOT taken advantage of so very many well meaning contributors.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I think there should have been some great choices made a very long time ago! Lots of help from posters that are going above and beyond! Kuddos to you.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I don't think you have a final vision. You need to stick to one vision and let everyone know what that is.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 9 años
    Monicagaw,to see size tape paper, or outline size with painters tape on the wall. I believe the rule of thumb is art should be 6-8 inches above the sofa back, and I believe, not sure, at least 2/3rd the width of the sofa, so a 60 inch sofa would need at least a 40 inch wide art pc. An designers out there to confirm or correct me? so Monicagaw can get the right size?
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 9 años
    If you want to add an accent color, the art, pillows and a few other accessories, vases, etc are where you do that. so I'd say start with the art, pillows and accessories are easier to find or have made. What color or colors are you leaning towards. You had mentioned the dart teal, and then there was that wave picture with blue that seemed nice. Takes some clothes from your closet in your favorite colors and dress your pillows with them to see the different colors in the room. My sister thought I had lost it when she came over and saw my dark teal sweater folded around my sofa pillow LOL, but it works!
    monicagaw agradeció a Lynne Forrestal
  • d3sp
    hace 9 años
    Happy Mothers Day to everyone!!! Monica which painting is the beige wave? Going to put the other one in and then post(:
    monicagaw agradeció a d3sp
  • d3sp
    hace 9 años
    Here it is .
    monicagaw agradeció a d3sp
  • lessismoore
    hace 9 años
    The more I think about it, the more I think that the wall and sofa colors are holding all this back. The walls definitely have a greenish tinge, and the sofas definitely a pinky beige undertone (they can't be "ivory" or they wouldn't key in so close to the rug!) I know pix can distort colors, but I don't think (anymore) that that is the case here. Okay - I doubt wall painting is on the agenda, so ... here is my last ditch solution (well, next to last - I still think a mirror there is your best choice) This painting came up in another discussion. It fulfills almost all needs imo, has greens, has greys, has even a bit of warm maroon/brown/red and is abstract, available in many sizes at a good price. Here is link to artist: http://fineartamerica.com/products/greensleeves-davina-nicholas-acrylic-print.html
    Here are some "visuals"
    monicagaw agradeció a lessismoore
  • bubbles0208
    hace 9 años
    YES! I think green accents is the way to go for this room. A green/grey/white painting is perfect, and the art that lessismore picked out doesn't compete with the carpet, but adds just the right amount of color.
    monicagaw agradeció a bubbles0208
  • sondramartina
    hace 9 años
    Sondra told ya! Green is what you need. :)
    monicagaw agradeció a sondramartina
  • victorianbungalowranch
    hace 9 años
    How about some green plants? That goes with everything and will make it look less cold.
    monicagaw agradeció a victorianbungalowranch
  • monicagaw
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thank you everyone..I like the idea of green. This painting is too expensive and a little too small, great colors though... I will go in the green direction...or a mirror..

and....no, LB you're right I don't have a vision I do however, have a clear vision of what I don't want this room to look like....
  • lessismoore
    hace 9 años
    The "lily" one in a suitable size (I was looking at 48 x 36) is $304, and the "Greensleeves" I last posted is $353. Unfortunately, one move up to a painting of that size ... that is sort of the opt in base pricing, even for canvas prints (an original might be more in the 500 to 1000+ range just due to the sizing of these pieces). And a super simple mirror would run about $300. So ...
    monicagaw agradeció a lessismoore
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 9 años
    I just got notification that greatbigcanvas has a 50% off sale right now, that's the best price I've ever seen and it's not too often, so if you have decided on one from there, now is the time to buy. Do you have any updates for us?
    monicagaw agradeció a Lynne Forrestal
  • monicagaw
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks Lynne, I'll look. I haven't really done anything. I did decide to make the pop color red, afterall. Any suggestions which shade of red would work the best?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Hmmmmm. Back again to square one everyone!
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
    Hmmmmmmmm.
  • monicagaw
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    LB, why not just turn off the notifications from me?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    The one and only reason is to help others from spinning hundreds of ideas, spending lots of time and energy on any dilemma where it appears there is never any progress. 774 comments with lots of help that you appeared to like and then go back to an original idea. Liking many comments with positive hopes from the commenters, but at a later time, casting off all the great choices presented to you.

Something seems to be wrong here. Commenters have come and gone. On all the other dilemmas, things were implemented when the poster felt good about something. New photos were posted to see the changes. Progress continues on the room. No progress has been made here. I find it a bit odd.
  • housegal200
    hace 9 años
    Just came across this thread again, having turned off notifications a lifetime ago. This thread is either a hoax or a sinkhole. Bail if you value your time and professional life.
  • sondramartina
    hace 9 años
    I did not turn notifications off hoping to see that WOW factor that Monica wanted. Maybe it will happen with pop of red?! :-O
    LOL
  • doctornancy
    hace 9 años
    Hi, Monica. I confess I have not read all the comments. I saw your room and it looked like it would be fun to decorate with my software. You want a pop of red. One word of caution - a little red goes a long way, especially with the soft look you've created with your draperies. Good luck creating your perfect look!
    monicagaw agradeció a doctornancy
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Sondra, I don't think anything will happen, red was mentioned way way back when. As well as all the other colors on the color wheel.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    Doctornancy, it pained me to see you and many others spend your time like this. I know what it takes. We would not expect you to read all the comments, but if you did, you would understand why I posted my comment.

After awhile we give up. By giving up, newbies start all over not reading this extremely long thread. Just is wanted to keep this alive.
  • monicagaw
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Perhaps I am not understanding how this site works. I was under the impression that people posted requests on this site to get ideas/help from experienced, talented and educated people who WISHED to give their input. Sometimes there are discussions or thinking out loud to run ideas past people who are interested and ask. Lynne just asked me for an update, so I answered her. Have I been posting paintings and pillows daily--no.

Yes, you're right I have received a lot of help, I did like a lot of it, in general, but not for me. I understand that the "in" colors are blue and orange, if someone would have shown me the shade of blue and orange, which would excite me, then I probably would have used it. Red is exciting to me and interesting...Although, they are pretty..none of the color shades, in the ideas or art jumped out at me. What can I do..sorry.
    I'm going for a specific feel in my room and I'm just not getting it from what I have seen.

I KNOW there is a way to do this, to make it work. I just have to find the right shades/tones and patterns for it to all jive together...I only have art and pillows left, so there is progress.

There is nothing to hmmmm about or comment about being odd.....I am simply looking for something more specific and it's going slow, that's why I haven't been posting and taking up anymore of people's time and energy.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    I have been following this for a very long time. From my perspective, I can only speak for myself, the ways to give you your needs and your description for what you are saying you want for the room, have all been posted more than once. Because there are no more options left. You've seen them all. Now newbies are starting all over again with the same ideas that were posted long ago.
  • monicagaw
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    LB---FYI Everyone on this post has help tremendously. I walk in the room now..even as is and I (personally) LOVE it...so it really hasn't gone to waste...they've gotten me this far. I will find the perfect shade of red and the perfect piece of art (for me)...eventually.
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
  • doctornancy
    hace 9 años
    It's a process. I give my time freely. Good luck to you in creating your perfect room.
    monicagaw agradeció a doctornancy
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    hace 9 años
    All of us have given our time freely. Hope you get the room of your dreams.
  • Libbmom
    hace 9 años
    Saw this at World Market yesterday...
    monicagaw agradeció a Libbmom
  • Libbmom
    hace 9 años
    Here are a few more from there...
    monicagaw agradeció a Libbmom
  • southern_m_n_m
    hace 9 años
    HOW DO I KNOW WHAT SIZE AREA RUG TO GET FOR MY LIVING ROOM SPACE????? MY CHOICES ARE EITHER 5' X 7'9" OR 7'9" X 10' 3"..... MY FURNITRE WILL BE AT AN L SHAPE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM WITH MY ONLY ONE WALL HAVING MY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER ON IT.... MY LR IS 18 X 22 FROM FRONT DOOR TO BACK DOOR... help!!!!!!
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
    SOUTHERN_M_N_M!!!!

Why are you screaming??? You need to start your own thread.
  • southern_m_n_m
    hace 9 años
    sorry...not screaming.....wasn't paying attention that CAPS was on..
  • Chromatic
    hace 9 años
    southern....you want all the feet of your furniture seating arrangement to be on the rug. That's the short answer. Post a pic on your own thread.
  • bubbasgma
    hace 9 años
    Welcome to Houzz, southern. A few tips to get you started:

1) At the beginning of every dilemma, you will notice a date indicating whether it is "alive/current" or as in this case "long dead and buried/should not be resurrected!!"

2)Before making a new comment, it is recommended that you first read the entire thread. This way you'll know what suggestions have already been made, and how much progress has occurred.

Monica has already gotten 700+ suggestions on how to get the "wow factor", she REALLY doesn't need even 1 more!

3)If upon reading the entire thread, you don't find an answer/solution to YOUR specific problem......start you own dilemma with photos, floor plan, and enough concrete specifics for someone to be able to make realistic suggestions.

Good luck with your Houzzing! =)
  • Nicky Donoghue
    hace 8 años

lol lol lol WTF....I need to get a life, just spent soooo long reading every comment on this post. I've completely forgotten what I was originally looking or doing on here in the first place. heeeheee. Made me chuckle reading it, but what a Freak I really am ; )

• PRO
    Poovi Art
    hace 8 años

you need a original large artwork to give you wall new look,a life ,an Attraction, a connection for everybody ......check my website too for more artwork...

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PooArtGallery?ref=profile_shopname

• PRO
    VRA Interiors, LLC
    hace 8 años

Our design, it might help.

Terminus Place · Más información

• Triya June
    hace 7 años

I love love love that mirror

• groveraxle
    hace 7 años

Two year old post.

• PRO
    TVCoverUps
    hace 7 años

TVCoverUps was invented for the "WOW" factor. Original art or framed mirror adds to the room's decor, with the hidden TV beneath!

See how EASY it really is :

Hidden Behind Artwork · Más información

Hide TV with Mirror! · Más información

Hidden Behind Artwork · Más información

TVCoverup Installation - Beverly Hills · Más información

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.