Houzz Logo Print
erica_garza

My Dining Room is BORING - design ideas please!

Erica Garza
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
I've included photos from every angle including photos of the adjacent LR and kitchen. our DR is square and small, but it has two windows the let in beautiful light that I don't want to cover with furniture. how do I tie in the current look of my LR w this room? I have seriously considered adding a full batten and board treatment to the wall adjacent to the windows or perhaps a stencil wall ( that isn't too trendy aka no chevron). I have seen some beautiful gold glass shelving in dining rooms and feel the lighter the pieces the less likely the room will feel closed in. Which ideas work best? we are not painting as the color runs throughout the entire house so we gotta work w this. I am open to new dining chairs and even a settee. ok,,,I've rambled enough.

Comentarios (58)

• lucidos
    hace 10 años
    Opps like this
  • Manon Floreat
    hace 10 años
    I really like lucidos's console suggestion.. I'm wondering if something like it would fit in the little nook area leading to the kitchen? Below is one in gold.

I can see a rather large canvas on the back wall that's quiet, but with some yellow in it. I'm not sure if the content of the one below fits your preferences, but the color balance seems like a good fit.

Art by Paul Bailey via Etsy.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I like the direction of the suggestions. I measured the nook leading toward the kitchen and I can fit something that's no deeper than 14". that glass console is fantastic. I'm actually headed to IKEA now to look at some options. there really isn't walking space to add furniture to the largest wall in the room. it would block the ability to pull out the chair. I also love those canvas colors. on the big canvas print in the LR is from Ikea too: )
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Barbara the print is from IKEA.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    after growing thru dining images now I want a new table! something that's more grown up but durable enough for a small child. I really love this
  • lucidos
    hace 10 años
    People that are brave enough to own white sofas and children should by all means have lots of easily cleanable glass :)
  • windingcreek_creations
    hace 10 años
    I love your dining set. The light fixture seems just a bit heavy to me, however. I would go with at least one good sized mirror or three smaller ones, a large, airy floor plant, and some art work. A console is a good idea as well and you might want to add an area rug for under the table. It seems an open canvas, and you've done a beautiful job with the rest of your house. You might even be able to simply bring things in from other areas of your home. Have fun!
  • doctornancy
    hace 10 años
    A small dining room is a wonderful opportunity to allow your dining set to become the focal point. You can accentuate the dining area with a more-to-scale chandelier and art and an area rug that coordinate with your living area colors.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    my hubby is fascinated that you Photoshopped that. I do like that and never considered a gold light fixture until seeing that. where is it from? well where are all the inspiration pieces from? Be honest, is our dining set dated?!
  • doctornancy
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I love your dining set. I do not think it is dated. It has wonderful lines, very similar to what you see at Crate and Barrel and West Elm. Gold in some light fixtures looks very dated, so be careful if you go that route. I selected a light fixtures that mirrors the curves in your dining set. The drum lends it a more contemporary look. The rug and art showed up when I googled "blue and gold art" and blue and gold rug". Have fun. You have a beautiful home. I don't think it will require much to make the room stunning.
  • anne dee
    hace 10 años
    another simpler inspiration pic
    also picking up some of the elements you are considering
    Trickett Dining Room · Más información
  • Jennifer Abbott
    hace 10 años
    Definitely a different light fixture to bring in the gold. Would you consider painting the chairs? I think your living room has more of a contemporary vibe going than the dining room. While the set has good lines, the color is making it look less contemporary.
  • lucidos
    hace 10 años
    The DR set has clean simple lines. I think it's fine it's just that it's the ONLY thing you see in the room presently. When you have it all coordinated it will be perfect.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 10 años
    Are your chair seats black leather? If so, perhaps recovering the seats woul be an idea. I love the photoshop that drnancy did for you.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    the chairs are solid wood. they have no fabric
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 10 años
    Erica, the chair seats would be a place to add some pattern, with cushions, there are many that are indoor/ outdoor fabrics, especially now at this time of year, and buying fabric and having them custom made would be easier to get what you like and the correct size rather than trying to find premade ones... believe me I spent hours trying last year.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 10 años
    Erica, do you like the photoshop that drnancy did for you , the lastone with rug, lamp and art? Do you want gold in this space? I didn't see gold in Living room but it may be just my monitor. My thought is perhaps a floating shelf , a deep one, under the artwork on the back wall instead of the brass and glass shelves, because I think adding that in there would get too busy with the open work on your chairs, and all the legs. or no shelf at all, Perhaps some tall greenery in a corner.... something to add just a bit more softness.
  • PRO
    flair lighting
    hace 10 años
    or this with a cool rug
  • cmra2013
    hace 10 años
    If you are up to it I think if you stained the table and chairs to a darker wood color (possibly expresso) it would look great.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you all for continuing to share. Anne Dee - i LOVE those two inspiration rooms, especially the dark navy lower wall :) Now, I would love to have a sideboard but I'm afraid there isn't enough walking space to fit one :( THere's just enough space to pull out the chairs to sit on (that singular chair you see in the back). I could move the dining set further away from the wall, but then that would mean the light fixture isn't centered to the table. And then its noticeable when walking into the dining room from the kitchen or when seated.
    Thoughts?

There is that smaller nook though that could potentially fit something no more than 14" in depth. I bought this etagere from Ikea and sprayed it gold for my LR entry. I thought of getting something similar (they of course have endless options) and placing it in that spot. Hubby is concerned that the room will start to feel small so I have to be really careful about what I select. Tonight I"ll go home and measure the room and the table to give a better idea of my space.

Here's a photo of the gold that I introduced into the LR. I also have gold accents on the coffee table now and the mantle. I love it :)
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oh..and are dining room cushion seats still "in"????? I'm not opposed to staining these chairs to they're not a perfect match to the table or vice versa. I just want to get it right but didn't think cushions were the way to go.
  • anne dee
    hace 10 años
    if you had the chairs stained and an upholstered seat it might look something like this
    ref pic
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    how hard is it to stain furniture like this? I've never redone a dining table before.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 10 años
    Erica, I hope someone on Houzz can give you good advice on staing... I tried to stripe and restain a table once, and it didn't go well for me, I have much better luck painting.... for DYI, but I would think that there should be someone in your area that may be able to do it for hire.... I'd be interested in hearing others answers. It's not the staining on raw wood, that I've done many times its the stripping part to start with that I had my issues with.
  • Lynne Forrestal
    hace 10 años
    What are your issues with the chairs, are they worn? or do you want a different color?
    If worn, perhaps a refreshing kit would work, or just some touch up sticks?
  • lucidos
    hace 10 años
    Stripping that set and restaining it will be about a 200 hour job particularly if you never did anything like that before. The biggest issue time wise is it takes several days between steps to allow the wood and finishes to dry. There is a large learning process involved. Tools and nasty smelly chemicals too.

I suggest leaving it as is...if it doesn't suit your vision for the room sell it on the buy/sell ads such as Craig's list and either find a set there or buy new.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Replace chandelier hang 36" from top of table. A 8x10 area rug in a print. Pick accent color. On ends of table two fabric chairs in a color print. Add chair rail 4ft from floor either wallpaper or paint a darker shade of wall color. Under it. A big picture on wall 40" hang 6" above chair rail. Add mirror to other wall. If room a buffet, in light wood or reclaimed wood would add interest.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Add roman or panels to windows. Pick from your accent color.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Your house is contemporary stay with that look in dining rm.
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    hace 10 años
    To make the most of your space and define it, you may want to consider this modular wall system. The colors of the cabinetry can be ordered to match your living room as well and continue the flow of your home.

You can add drawers, shelves and even a screen with the wiring hidden. It can be adapted as your needs change. Here are a few photos:
    Style: Paneel · Más información

STYLE: Paneel · Más información

NYC Showroom · Más información

NYC Showroom · Más información

Best of luck! Let us know if you have any questions.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The modular wall system is neat, BUT our house isn't 100% contemporary. Here's a view of our kitchen. Pretty traditional I think??? These are pics from the realtor listing. We have stainless steel appliances throughout. I can get updated images tonight if it helps.

We went with light sectional because I didn't want to lose the airy feeling we have w/ the light streaming it. I was against having dark couches that would soak up all the light.
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Sorry for the thumbnail images above. I believe these are larger files. The kitchen is down the small hallway from the dining. BTW, red isn't our accent color. these are realtor images I kept but it helps give an idea of the style. Maybe we need an espresso dining set to tie it in? We have an espresso media center for our TV..
  • Jane Davila
    hace 10 años
    What about a subtle but graphic stencil on the back wall of the dining room? You could do it the same color as the wall but in a gloss or semi-gloss finish or with a slight metallic sheen added. I've attached an inspiration image from cuttingedgestencils.com but they have tones of designs. I loved the idea of the "Ikea hack" gold painted etagere for the nook corner, plus the other ideas of a light fixture that picks up the gold, an area rug, cloth or leather chairs for the head of the table, and art for the other long wall. Your living room is really lovely and you have a great start in the dining room.
  • PRO
    Chadwick Design
    hace 10 años
    Switch out that chandelier to a fresh new look.
  • PRO
    Denise Judge, a Smith & Noble In Home Designer
    hace 10 años
    Adding a decorative rod and simple fabric drapery panels would give the room character, as well as soften the look!
  • PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    hace 10 años
    Erica, your dining set has classic lines and will not date, so don't worry about that. You may grow tired of it--that's a different thing. If the quality of manufacture and finishing of furniture is good--it is worth keeping. If not, or you prefer to follow trends, then a lesser quality higher design impact furniture that can be changed periodically is the way to go. Personally, for dining chairs, I prefer upholstered seats for lingering over a good meal--and conversation.

In the specific space, I agree with Doctor Nancy that a work of art (or textile?) and (perhaps) an updated pendent is about all you need. Aim for colours or patterns that resonate with your living room and trust that your guests (and you) will make the subtle connection. Subtlety in design is a hallmark of sophistication--it is not always the preferred approach, but in your particular layout, it can work for you.

If you want to punch it up a bit, aim for art that conveys a contemporary feel, perhaps a frame that resonates with the pendant, etc. Mirrors can add to a dining room, especially if you like to dine by candlelight. The candlesticks in the photo seem too high relative to the pendent, and a bit out of alignment. Is the pendent dead center over the table? If you like tall or focal point table centerpieces, you might consider replacing the pendant with low profile directional lights to illuminate artwork. This creates a dramatic effect with a lower level of ambient light. Bear in mind that the lux value of light as it hits the artwork should be around 50 to prevent long term damage from the light.

Have fun!
  • cindyguent
    hace 10 años
    Hi Nancy,

I also agree with drnancy and garden oaks about changing chandelier to more updated and adding textiles to far wall. Before adding shelving or furniture pieces, choose art or mirror. If you don't want a rug maybe linen drapes in a neutral shade to the sides of window would soften lines. I loved the art drnancy chose and anything like that that ties LR to DR and your colors. A low beautiful glass bowl in an accent color could complete your table. And if you want to stencil wall or add furniture later, you still can.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    hace 10 años
    My answer would be wallpaper. I love installing wallpaper in a dining room. There are so many wonderful patterns and it really changes a room dramatically.
    Charmean Neithart Interiors, LLC. · Más información

Traditional New Construction · Más información
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oh those rooms are beautiful!!!!!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    I would not stain table. But I would change out chairs, the easiest fix. To make this room look great. Do a print in a contemporary look. Make it a color. Ck Pier One for great looks.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    A area rug with the aquas and gold would be perfect. Then add accessories in the gold tones. Art also. Z Galleries is showing a lot of gold. Check out there store or site. It's the best for accessories. Then go a aqua iredenced look in panels for windows. Just stay in those tones, so living rm will be tied in. Also the wall paper you show would work but I would do it as a bottom of chair rail. Then paint a metallic gold. Bold but striking.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Chandelier not working ck Z Galleries for light, they have the best. Also candlestick to high for table. Go a gold bowl.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    The pic above from Ikea is nice. Make sure it's big. No small items on walls.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Your table is a little dated. It's the color. Look at Restoration Hardware . Reclaimed is big or go glass with a gold base. And fabric chairs. Wood chairs look to much for a kitchen.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Check Pier One for chairs or Z Galleries. They have your color and style. Great store.
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 10 años
    And if you need some work for above your couch in the living room...
  • PRO
    ArtFromDenise
    hace 10 años
    Erica, I thought these chairs might inspire you.
    Tyrol Hills Modern · Más información
  • jensonluo
    hace 10 años
    Definitely need some wall art pieces on those walls. It very empty at the moment and needs some colour to lift the space up a bit. Try this ... http://www.atchconcepts.com/canvas.html
  • Erica Garza
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    heres an update to a cherry table that I stripped and stained. the transformation to the space is like night and day!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.