Houzz Logo Print
jeanps

skylights or solar tubes?

jeanps
hace 10 años
Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me decide between getting skylights or solar tubes in our living room. Currently, the room only has two windows, which are on the same wall. This wall faces east and our front yard.
Initially I thought skylights because they can bring in so much light, but I've heard from a few now that solar tubes are better in that they are considerable less expensive and also bring in a lot of light. Someone also told me that skylights are great during the day, but actually make a room feel darker at night.
So...any thoughts? Or does anyone have experience with both and have an opinion about either?
Thank you very much.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    hace 10 años
    Keep in mind a solar tube does not provide the same amount of daylighting as a skylight, especially when the sun isn't directly above that side of the house.
    jeanps agradeció a Dytecture
  • PRO
    HighEnd Solutions (Skylights, Canopies & Knotwood
    hace 10 años
    I choose skylights as you can have large openings of glass.
    jeanps agradeció a HighEnd Solutions (Skylights, Canopies & Knotwood
  • Darzy
    hace 10 años
    I vote skylights as it provides the most natural light. It's worth the extra expense.
    jeanps agradeció a Darzy
  • juudean
    hace 9 años
    Love my solatubes in my upstairs hall...have heard nightmares from friends about leaking and foggy glass in skylights, you would think they would have figured how to resolve those issues by now.
  • mfwolfe
    hace 9 años
    Have had skylights in the living room for two years now. No leaking, no fogging. Golf ball size hail, no problem. 20 below zero, no problem. They must be installed correctly.
  • PRO
    Zone 4 Architects, LLC
    hace 9 años
    From what we have seen, solar tubes will actually amplify the amount of daylight coming into the home, but as pointed out skylights and solar tubes really perform two different functions. Skylights are the choice if you have the roof area to install them, and you want to see the sky. Solar tubes are better if you want to bring more light into a space which is down a story from a roof (and you have an area where you can chase the tube down through the upper floor) or are primarily looking for light over view. Odds of either of them leaking will always come down to getting a well manufactured product and hiring a good installer.
  • PRO
    Scott Homes, Inc
    hace 9 años
    We install solar tubes in most of our homes that wish them. They are much more energy efficient than skylights and have prisms in them to capture the light and direct it, so even on cloudy days you still get a lot of light.
  • jeanps
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Thanks everyone. We went ahead and got a Solatube. So far, it's great. While I love the look of skylights, I realized that with all of the foliage around my neighborhood, too many leaves and branches would cover the skylight and add more cleaning to my life, which I do not need.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.