Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Is subway tile over?

Emily H
hace 10 años
I love it and I hope it never goes away. What do you think? Is it time to move on?

Tell us! (Photos encouraged)

Shelter Island Beach House · Más información

Comentarios (289)

• PRO
    Gary Rosard Architect
    hace 8 años

So many ways to use subway tile, it's a classic. For a more modern look I often stack them either horizontally or vertically rather than in the traditional brick pattern.

• pdk920
    hace 8 años

I just put a shiny white subway tile tub enclosure in my 1930 house. It looks great and "right" with the historic look of the room. Maybe it will become less ubiquitous in places it was never meant to be, but there'll always be rooms where it's the perfect material.

• essmith2
    hace 8 años
    It can't be over...it has been in my houses' two bathrooms for 90 years. Even after rehab. Classic then, classic now.
  • essmith2
    hace 8 años
    House's. ... Sorry
  • Jen
    hace 8 años

Thoughts on white glass subway vs traditional. I prefer classic finishes, but the glass is so pretty… Just don't want to be outdated in a few years

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 8 años

Hi jendunaway -- I'll boldly predict that unlike those busy multicolored mosaic glass backsplashes, that glass subway, which is already a nod to the traditional, is a "future classic" you'll be safe to choose, so long as it's not a crazy color, and especially when paired with a stone taking colors from nature.

Prospect St. · Más información

Modern Kitchen & Master Bathroom - Windsor, CT · Más información

Powder Room · Más información

• Cathy Krueger
    hace 8 años

About the 4x4 tiles--For some reason rectangles are more pleasing to the eye than squares. If you sit still and look around, you will see that we do the vast majority of things in rectangles. Who knows why? Maybe the subway tile has direction that carries the eye. Subway tiles are also installed offset like bricks. They look more like an architectural element than a facade.

• R S
    hace 8 años

I agree with Cathy's comment but would take it one step further. I think a square tile looks lovely in a brick pattern or even diagonal. Regardless of the tile choice, anything other than a straight-set tile is going to be more visually appealing. There are so many tile patterns - diagonal, brick, hopscotch. Even subway tile not set in a brick pattern is pretty boring looking. For our bathroom, we used 4 x4 tiles in a brick pattern. I'm biased, but I think it's very classic.

Traditional Black and White Bathroom · Más información

• PRO
    KHB Interiors
    hace 8 años
    Hey

I don't think so. It's timeless, works well with other materials and always looks clean and fresh!

I've done many homes with it and everyone loves it.

Thanks
    KHB Interiors New Orleans
  • PRO
    ANITA LEWIS-art 4 modern life STUDIO/GALLERY
    hace 7 años
    As a designer, I tend to do my job best by pushing the envelope. Otherwise, why hire a designer? Subway tiles, granite, Carrara marble have now become default design trends, no matter where. These trends will pose major difficulties down the road. Subway tiles: the added surface area of grout because of smaller tiles, is a problem when not sealed regularly, and can pose more surface area for mold, stains, cracking, etc. granite has already been recognized as high maintenance as compared to Quartz. Granite is porous, at varying degrees, and opens up to problems with staining, chipping, and absorption of moisture. Marble is far worse, as is even more porous and softer than granite. The wine stains, the tomato, the catsup, the acidic etchings are all coming down the road, if not sealed on a ridiculously regular schedule. People will be disappointed at the ugly stains. Then the remodels of the remodels begin...my prediction: solid surfaces, maintenance free, and less is more will be the new " trend" . Those that love subway and marble, will continue their quest of such. But let's bring more diversity into the mix!!
  • dontspamnan
    hace 7 años

Hopefully it's over. I'm just scratching my head as to what is the appeal. Reminds me of diners and work places and that is the last thing I want to think of at home. Not at all uplifting.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

Hinsdale Greek Revival · Más información

• ruthmand
    hace 7 años

@ Anita Lewis,

Epoxy grout takes care of all the grout issues you listed above. More expensive but even more worth it. I agree with you that subway tile, though it may have its place in historic homes, is used mostly as a default option. Quartz is probably the easiest to maintain material at the moment and also well worth the $$$.

• PRO
    Fay Jones Day Tile
    hace 7 años
    Última modificación: hace 7 años

It was great reading all these opinions of subway tile. yes they can seem institutional or to dull have you considered combining them with accent tile?

t

• Moana Leesa
    hace 7 años

There are so many beautiful choices out there I too am scratching my head as to why subway tiles are the popular choice. While looking for kitchen reno ideas I have to say I got very tired of seeing white kitchens with white subway tiles. Seems they are intended for those who want to be 'safe' and have very little imagination. Apparently you can't go wrong with white on white. Color me bored.

• pdk920
    hace 7 años

Historic homes are great places for white subway tile and for mosaic tile floors. I have both in my 1930s upstairs bath as well as another mosaic floor style downstairs. Everyone who sees them loves them.

• km kane
    hace 7 años
    Heck no, they are beautiful. Ever heard of anyone tearing out white subway tile to install square splotchy brown tiles from Home Depot?
  • Moana Leesa
    hace 7 años

You need to go to more tile stores kmkane. Unless I just wanted a boring white subway tile I would never shop for tile at Home Depot

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

i don't understand, everyone keeps saying that about historic homes and subway. maybe that is true in some places, but personally i have never seen an older home with subway in it. even the subway only had it for 10 years.

• R S
    hace 7 años

Moana Leesa One person's "boring" is another person's "timeless and elegant."

• kroze
    hace 7 años

It would REALLY be boring if we all liked the same things and decorated the same way…. : /

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

yes kroze, but still so many of us do, that is why things like subway gray, beige get so boring, no?

• kroze
    hace 7 años

I suppose a lot of it is about the accents and decor. A boring pallet makes a good background for wow accents!

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

yes, and yet so few of us seem to achieve it, no? I am beginning to see a pattern here! lol how long you think we can do this?

• MotherOfGiants
    hace 7 años
    If you pose a backsplash question on Houzz, no matter the counter, no matter the style kitchen, someone will suggest "plain white subway tile." A specific size of tile isn't going to be "over," but I think we've almost reached saturation with plain white subway tile.

I imagine the same discussions about wood paneling 45 years ago:

"Isn't wood paneling overdone?"

"No! Everyone loves the look of wood! Wood is beautiful! Our grandparents and great-grandparents lived in houses with wood walls! It's timeless!"

There are Craftsman-style homes with beautiful wood paneling and early 1900s homes with perfect subway tile. There's a time and a place for plain white subway tile. It shouldn't be everywhere.
  • Susan Davis
    hace 7 años

NEVER!

• PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    hace 7 años

LOL, I thought of this thread today as I stepped into the loo in one of a nearby city's top restaurants earlier today, and it was floor to ceiling orange subway! Sounds awful, but with light distressed wood doors and trim, bright light and a white floor, it kind of worked! Especially since I always say, take an accent color from one room, and feature it in the next. The restaurant itself is all blacks, bricks, and neutrals, with just a punch of orange in drum shades throughout. So a bright orange bathroom is a natural choice.

• pdk920
    hace 7 años

I don't think I'd use bright orange subway tile (or ANY bright orange tile, really!) in my home, but, as they say, there is a right time and place for everything.

• wmsimons85
    hace 7 años

Just going through renovations and will be using some subway tiles in two showers but still have time to decide about kitchen backsplash.

Would love to hear ideas about what to do please? It is a white kitchen with black granite on the perimeter and a white quartz top will be used on an island. The tiles will be above the black granite on one side.

Here is a photo taken of one side of the kitchen before the doors are changed to white shaker and the brown marble changed to white marble look quartz on the island

Any suggestions please? Worried now about using subway tiles :(

For some reason not allowing me to include photo.

• wmsimons85
    hace 7 años

Here it is.

As I said this is before remodeling.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

you should do a design dilemma wmsimon. this thread has not been used in nearly 2 months and was really just a debate. you won't get lots of help here.

• wmsimons85
    hace 7 años

Having fun, thank you.

Do you know where I should do a design dilemma?

• Bailey R
    hace 7 años

Never

• oliviag55
    hace 7 años

Wmsimons85, go to design dilemma, you'll see "what are you working on", and post your photo and question.

Nice to reread the thread, though. I, too, think subway is classic, and a very safe choice.

• PRO
    Fay Jones Day Tile
    hace 7 años

I hope subway tile isn't over! I just designed some unique textured subway tile to add excitement to the plain white subway trend.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

this will probably start us all over again. but i don't call that subway tile. i believe the shape is timeless,just like squares, pentagons etc. to my way of understanding subway is the white they had in the ny subway for about 10 years, and apparently in some ne homes at around turn of century.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

@havingfun I agree, if it's not white, it's not subway.

Really beautiful tiles though Fay Jones Day Tile. Bookmarking!

• Andi Former Designer
    hace 7 años

I agree that "subway tile" is a bit of misnomer and that this masonry pattern, usually called "running bond" by the pros, has been around since ancient Roman times. However, even though something is considered classic, timeless, etc. due to its enduring historical quality, it doesn't mean it can't also be trendy due to overuse for a relatively short period. Once that trend begins to fade, the otherwise "classic" design element becomes tired and dated because we associate its popularity with that very distinct time period. Case in point: ten or fifteen years ago, the warm, rustic Mediterranean style was everywhere, and we were talking about how classic and timeless it was. Now, because of its overuse, we find it to be dated. Before that, it was cherry furniture and jewel tones. I believe that subway tile, unfortunately, is next.

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

thank you Andi, i appreciate the new term. does that apply to white, laying pattern, size?

• Andi Former Designer
    hace 7 años
    havingfun, yes that term would apply to any color or size tile used. It comes from basic masonry in the laying of brick, block, or stone, and it only describes the pattern of one row followed by another that is offset by 1/2 of a brick/block/tile. So if you decided to install, say, a 3x6 tile on a straight or grid alignment where one tile is right overtop of another, this would not be running bond. I believe that would be called stacked bond if we go back to the masonry reference.
  • wmsimons85
    hace 7 años

Well after my post above questioning the longevity of subway tiles, I did use them in the end. Very disappointed to read your comment after the fact Andi but it is what I had thought already

Fingers crossed it will be a little while before they go out of style like tumbled travertine did. :(

• Andi Former Designer
    hace 7 años
    wmsimon, I say don't worry about it. I'm sure it's beautiful (I love subway tile, too), so if you love it, just enjoy it!
  • Rio Brewster
    hace 7 años

I don't think they will ever be "out". But I for one am really tired of seeing kitchen after kitchen of white cabinets, carrera marble (or quartz substitute) and white 3x6 tiles for the backsplash.

Have some creativity people!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

Subway tile, white Corian, and little black dresses never go out of style.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 7 años

Subway tile, white Corian, and little black dresses never go out of style.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    hace 7 años

Finally, an opportunity for two thumbs up!!!

• artsyphartsy_home_maker
    hace 7 años

I like it and plan to use gloss white ceramic bright white subway for kitchen backslash in remodel. Stuff has been around a long time century or more, not going any where. It's warm, charming & retro. Love it, always will.

• shari13
    hace 7 años

It looks like the bathroom at my employer. Would never have it in my house.

• kroze
    hace 7 años

As with many things, I see this "subway tile" issue in light of generational trends. Just like fashion, the younger generation sees with different eyes. The older generation has seen the decaying remnants of a previous trend cycle. My 70 year old eyes continue to see the subway tile of my youth…… which was primarily in places that were in dire need of renovation.

…. and now I see the stale and dreary fashion styles of my grandmother being embraced by young eyes. : )

• havingfun
    hace 7 años

i have heard a lot about old houses and subway tile. since communication was not as wide as it is now perhaps it is a regional thing in ever saw one in fl with it. of course those houses were rarely 100 years old. but it is the same here in md and de. i think it is the same as the sink. everyone had 2 in fl. mos have one up here less from city.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.