Houzz Logo Print
theresa_joy

Can I change the color of my hardwood floor?

Theresa Joy
hace 10 años
We have an open concept kitchen / living room, but the new hardwood we installed does not match the old hardwood. Is there a way I can stain the old hardwood to match? In the photos you can see one side is darker. I'd like to darken the lighter wood to match. Possible?

Comentarios (8)

• Theresa Joy
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
  • mmilos
    hace 10 años
    If the old hardwood is solid hardwood, a floor refinisher should be able to sand and restain your old floors to better match your new hardwood. Keep in mind though the graining will still look different due to different wood species.

I would also see if they can remove the threshold piece for better integration.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    As mmilos indicates, a good floor finisher can closely match hardwoods. You should be present while they are mixing colors in order to approve the match. Takes some diligent work, but can be done. The grain will still be different.
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    It will be difficult to get an exact match, looks like oak and walnut? You can try to sand and stain to match, would you be ok if it's just close? There will always be a difference but if you don't mind, then it's fine. Would be good to get a flat transition piece, that one looks like a bit of a tripping hazard. Good luck :)
  • mefor
    hace 10 años
    How odd that they put the transition piece right in the center of the fireplace. Wonder why? I'm assuming it was there when you bought house :)
  • Theresa Joy
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Its a 203 year old house. The lighter hardwood is the older wood. It is very very thick so we don't want to remove it. Staining it is the only option.
    When we moved in a few months ago the floor was half wood and half melamine tile ..
    When the new hardwood was installed there was a gap and we were told the only other solution was a flat metal piece .. I see the transition piece every day and it drives me crazy. I would love to find a more subtle seamless way to transition the floors.
    As for the floor staining, From what I'm reading it does not sound too difficult to DIY stain the floor.
    ** Id love a solution to find a better way to transition the two floors together other then that horrid bump. **
  • PRO
    John P. Guy, Designer
    hace 10 años
    With that in mind I would very carefully pull up the transition strip so it can be used to make a small strip the width of the the difference between the two floors. If there is a depth difference it can be filled with wood, or floor leveler so that it matches when put in place. I have done this a number of times and has worked well. As for blending the stain colors I would also blend for a couple of runs of the new floor so there is not a definitive transition in finishes. With the dark color I think you can mask the transition. I don't know the layout of the rooms, but a well placed area rug will hide it further.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.