Houzz Logo Print
sara3024

How could i paint my kitchen floor to cover up dirt and cracks?

Sara
hace 10 años
After moving into our 1950s home last fall, I decided to rip up three layers of linoleum and paint our sub floor with this Moroccan design. I like the colors and design, but not the way dirt shows up and the paint is peeling off. Before I decide to start over with another product altogether, I would like to try and salvage the floor I painted. I was thinking I could maybe put a layer of paint over top of the design that would lightly cover or disguise the dirt, still showing the design underneath. Currently there are two layers of primer, two layers of porch stain / paint, and three layers of polyurethane.

Comentarios (3)

• egrahamrose
    hace 10 años
    Have you ever heard of Young House Love? www.younghouselove.com they painted their bathroom sub floor as well and it turned out amazing and has been holding up very well since. Hop over there and see if you cant get some tips as to what they did.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Regardless of what it takes, your kitchen floor would look great in a black and white checked pattern;) rest arrow on pic to enlarge
    Traditional Kitchen · Más información
  • PRO
    Mackay Painting and Finishing
    hace 10 años
    First, determine which layer of finish is peeling. Is it peeling all the way to the subfloor, to the primer, or to the porch and deck enamel. If it's all the way to the subfloor, either the surface needed more cleaning and prep, or the wrong primer was used. if peeling to the primer, , maybe the p&d enamel wasn't compatible with the primer, or the primer wasn't dry enough when p&d was applied. If just the polyurethane is peeling, same thing applies...incompatible poly/p&d, or not enough dry time or surface prep. Whichever layer is peeling should be removed and the underlying finish thoroughly cleaned and prepped, then topcoat with a compatible topcoat.

Another thought...if it's peeling down to the subfloor, moisture may be the problem. Check with a moisture meter. If moisture is below 18%, most finishes will be safe, but check first with the manufacturer, as there are variances.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.