Houzz Logo Print
gingis

Curb appeal

gingis
hace 10 años
I would like to modernize siding color and garage doors. I need help with colors and maybe a change at entry way or front of house?

Comentarios (28)

• User
    hace 10 años
    This house has presence. What is the current treatment on the siding? Is it paint or stain?
    gingis agradeció a User
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    caroln242, then we are both nuts LOL. I was thinking as you…this picture (of course, gingis, you don’t have to cut your house in half) is what I had in mind. You have that stone fireplace and I would paint the garage side gray and highlight the windows and doors in one complimentary color.
    From the Ground Up · Más información
    gingis agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • User
    hace 10 años
    This is not your typical house which is a good thing. Whatever you do will be unique. The strong lines will lend a more contemporary feel if painted in grey tones. Maybe a medium grey on the siding and a darker grey or black on the main door and garage doors?

Dyna - East Queen Anne · Más información

Renovation · Más información
    gingis agradeció a User
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Can we get a close up of the front entry to give a better idea of what can be done to the front entrance?

I'm thinking for the front door bring the door forward so that it is visible from the front. The overhang is large enough to cover. This will give the front door more prominence.
    gingis agradeció a User
  • PRO
    Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Hi Gin... I like it very well as it is! In its woodsy setting, particularly, I think the colors are good.
    If I had some money to spend on curb appeal here, I'd put a cedar shake roof on it. The roof is a major visual element in this design, and the great visual texture of the shakes will really complete the look this house was designed with.

Still some money left? ...add some up-directed wall-washing lighting over your garage door and just above/between windows left of the entry. - and a more prominent woodsy-looking front porch light fixture.

Nice house! Have Fun! Mark
    gingis agradeció a Someone's in the Kitchen, Inc.
  • Denita
    hace 10 años
    What a great house! You have a wonderful opportunity to bring out the modern by changing out your garage doors to glass and retaining the wood stained look like the inspiration pics below: (same house, two views, hover over photo to expand)
    Pigeon Creek Residence · Más información

Pigeon Creek Residence · Más información

Here is another home where the colors are 'color blocked' for the two sections of the home. Your home lends itself perfectly for this type of treatment
    NW Modern · Más información
    gingis agradeció a Denita
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    hace 10 años
    You have many options, depending on your budget. I have a couple for you, forthcoming. All of the pics here are nice, and you would be limited in their execution without making some hard choices, IMHO. Paint will help, no doubt, but I feel yours needs some re-work, as you mentioned, to the entry, and to the windows. The height is a concern, and it should be addressed in the scheme of whatever you choose to do. Happy Houzzing.
    gingis agradeció a DMH DESIGN
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    hace 10 años
    Gingis, here is my idea.

Hardie panel the main level exterior/remove exist. roof/build new accent roof at lower pitch/correct sill heights & add clerestory windows as possible/face block walls & partial garage walls with stack stone/new garage doors/add cypress tree and hedge as shown/add driveway bollards. Enjoy!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    hace 10 años
    You have a great house--sort of a cross between and shed style and a A-frame. I don't think it is dated at all, and it should be sided in cedar in natural tones. I can see making the porch support heftier, and the door less recessed, and painting or changing the garage doors. Down the road, bigger windows, or maybe accent windows in the clerestory, and maybe some skylights would be nice. Maybe black or a bit of stainless would be a nice accent. like in a mod light fixture and house numbers, metal porch support.

Or maybe Rustoleum hammered finish paint, for a more budget friendly option. It comes in copper, rubbed bronze and chrome. I tried the rubbed bronze and liked it..

I bet it has a great view and a deck in the back. Is it mostly glass? That might explain the small windows in the front.
    gingis agradeció a victorianbungalowranch
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I would paint the garage doors, change the stain color, maybe paint the fascias and maybe add a few plants. This a neat house. Good luck!
    gingis agradeció a Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Many good choices here happy redesigning.
  • acroteria
    hace 10 años
    Except for the (panic) Hardie suggestion and the (wtf?) harpie design, DMH's draw-up does it for me because the original design is respected, not ignored, and one could easily imagine the original architect doing it that way.
    gingis agradeció a acroteria
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    The first drawing is not quite what I meant to put up. This is more in line with what I was thinking .
    gingis agradeció a User
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Hope this loads.
    gingis agradeció a User
  • gingis
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I like this! How I wish the driveway was flat.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    You can still do pavers even if its not flat.
    gingis agradeció a User
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    HI -- I think what is bringing the front of this house down is the droopy roof over the entrance . The front steps are a poor design also . I would remove that slanted porch roof and have a more flat roof at the level of just to the height over the bottom row of windows . Then maybe add a bridge from covering the porch over to the curb with steps up to the curb and a set of side stairs going down to the driveway. As for the house color I like the greys or a slate blue or even a charcoal if your brave.
    I like what Everything did but if they could show it with a flat roof and the bridge walk then you got something that will look great !
    gingis agradeció a lefty47
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    I 'll try that . But that's a big cost , depends on budget you know . If money is no option I would do DMH design . I like his design because it has dimension .
    gingis agradeció a User
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    hace 10 años
    I tend to agree that demo/repour of the front stoop is an option, but not where I believe priority should be placed. The existing conditions represent a number of challenges because the structure is sited below street level, and it is what it is. I feel, as long as a river of water isn't running down the driveway and into the garage, I felt it best to address scale, proportion, and balance in the facade. I feel that Everything and I have shown some different options for achieving the same thing. The necessary scope relies, in my opinion, on certain things we've identified, as needing to change, while others mods are elective. To this end, what does it cost to redo a driveway with pavers vs. balance the fenestrations? What is the cost of a main floor stone facade vs. a stone wainscot w/Hardie panel above? These are the types of things the owner needs to prioritize for themselves, I am simply offering ideas that I feel give the house context a little more sense for the owners and the mass audience, the success of which is ultimately up to the owner to judge.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Excellent analogy .
  • PRO
    Zone 4 Architects, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Keep it modern and clean. A house like this has two major geometric forms, and would the that language and running with it. I would not add a stone base (or other suburban house details), since that vernacular does not have any commonality with the modern forms expressed in this building.

Consider adding a large horizontal roof to shelter the entry and part of the driveway.

For whatever reason, I would place horizontal siding on the left mass in a natural brown tone, which included a shadow line at each course, and then switch to a butted vertical board on the right mass in a gray tone. As has been pointed out, re-configuring the steps and sloping the driveway might help the entry, but depends on how big your budget is.
    gingis agradeció a Zone 4 Architects, LLC
  • PRO
    David B. Design
    hace 10 años
    I love the house. I would keep it simple, clean and modern. I would change the color of the house and make a contrasting or darker color on the wall that separates the house from the garage area. I would also definitely change the garage doors to glass and metal (I have attached a picture) and if you want to change the roof, I would do metal (see pictures). It's a great house and with a few improvements it will be a show stopping house.
    gingis agradeció a David B. Design
  • flopsycat1
    hace 10 años
    Agree with Zone 4. Keep it simple. Adding a stone or faux-stone base would be jarring and clash with the overall aesthetic of the house. Give your attention to siding, color and rethink the entry porch and steps. Great house! Would love to see pics of the interior and rear elevation.
    gingis agradeció a flopsycat1
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Do you think removing the stone , leaving the white wash stain and adding the metal roof will do ? I like the glass and metal doors. The problem I'm having visually is the large mass of wood with nothing to bring your eye to the ground or bottom of the house . Both good points .
  • PRO
    Zone 4 Architects, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Given the scale of the garage doors relative to the garage, I'm not so sure that you would want to differentiate them from the rest of the facade (although transparent doors are generally very nice to do for contemporary buildings).

A base will not make the eye go to the bottom of the house, the massing and cladding will do that. The base is there to provide a visual support for a mass, or express a more traditional foundation construction. A strip of flashing is all that is generally necessary to protect the siding from weather damage. If the stairs and retaining walls need to be removed and replaced, exposed concrete would look great, assuming the climate allows for that to be unprotected.

This is a very interesting and cool house, but it could use an update. Doesn't need to be much, and doesn't need to get crazy.
    gingis agradeció a Zone 4 Architects, LLC
  • ssgtkitty
    hace 10 años
    The garage door should always be painted to match the body of the house color! You don't want the focal point to be the big garage door, the main entrance is your focal point. Be sure it is painted an outstanding color, but not gaudy.
    gingis agradeció a ssgtkitty
  • PRO
    Thomas Fragnoli Construction
    hace 10 años
    I agree that the focal point should be on the front door, not on the garage, although I it shouldn't be ignored. Given its unique, modern form, I think the colors and materials should match that aesthetic. How about a charcoal for the majority of the house, with natural wood siding for the facade with the garage doors, similar to what Denita suggested in the photos. I might also suggest to redesign the entry so that the porch cover is flat, not slanted with some nice warm lighting and extend the porch to give it more of a presence. If you have the budget, I would suggest a new garage door and perhaps new roofing, since the roof is very visible in the appearance of the house. Good luck with your project!
    gingis agradeció a Thomas Fragnoli Construction
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.