Houzz Logo Print
mangos53

Kitchen cabinet color dilemma

Laura Haslett
hace 10 años
We bought this house a year and a half ago. It was done in that early1990's washed pink tones floor to ceiling (but we do live in the desert southwest). We were in a hurry so we painted the walls yellow with white ceiling and baseboards. Chose what we THOUGHT was a homogenous very light travertine tile (oops).

Now it's time to do something about the kitchen. But we don't know quite what to do. The black paint is coming off and I want a brighter feeling in the kitchen. For it to blend more with the rest of the house. The pictures show the kitchen, and how it flows with the family room. And that pink and black overly busy granite is going as soon as we can replace it.

Comentarios (7)

• dianecourbat
    hace 10 años
    My kitchen has dark cabinets and yellowish/beigish flooring too. I painted the walls stark white and the contrast is stunning!
  • Laura Haslett
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I am up for painting the cabinets - would I do a light glaze wash-to enhance the black or change color entirely?

Or replacing them-one color for island and another for outlying cabinets? (And the ugly pink is not staying!)
  • PRO
    House Dressing Interior Design, Ltd.
    hace 10 años
    You will still see that the cabinets are dark, but it highlights the lines of the cabinets, adds texture with brush strokes showing up gentle lines of the glaze over the cabinets. It's more of a translucent look over the cabinets original finish, but will lighten them up overall. Now, changing out the island cabinets is also a good idea and introducing a completely lighter finish but you need to still tie them to the perimeter cabinets in some way either by countertop or backsplash tile directly relating to the island's new finish.
    Laura Haslett agradeció a House Dressing Interior Design, Ltd.
  • lefty47
    hace 10 años
    HI -- The floor works but not the wall or cabinet colors . If you change those the floor will look very nice . White or light wood cabinets and a clean light color on the walls -- all white would look wonderful with the floor ,stunning even !
    Laura Haslett agradeció a lefty47
  • judithstern
    hace 9 años
    Your kitchen area is very important because it is straight off a living area and you want it to be co-hesive. Are the cabinets solid wood, painted or stained? If painted consider having them wash with alcohol or similar and spray painted your favorite tone in the floor tiles. When you change out your pink island counter top match it as closely as possible with your other counter tops.
    If the cabinets are stained black, have them sanded and bleached down to the natural wood. When you see the color of the wood, you can decide on what tone to re-stain them.
  • cogym
    hace 9 años
    I agree with Lefty 47. Paint the cabinets white and it will look beautiful with the floor. Change the wall color to something very soft and neutral. White Sand by Benjamin Moor is a great neutral. I would paint the family room and the kitchen walls the same.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.