Houzz Logo Print
dstemple1956

Best Paint

dstemple1956
hace 10 años
I know everyone has an opinion about paint but I would like to know what the best paint for woodwork is. Pros, feel free to weigh in on this one. I want something that has a super hard finish, resists scuffing and has great adhesion. Thanks.

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    hace 10 años
    Agree with ms colours fine paints is the best but it is on the higher end of the price range I also like satin empervo from Benjamin Moore another product that is very durable c2 cabinet and trim
    dstemple1956 agradeció a Rockin' Fine Finish
  • dstemple1956
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I appreciate your input. I have access to Benjamin Moore paints more readily than the Fine Paints of Europe. I have always known that oil based paints give you a harder finish.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Honestly it is worth the wait to order Fine Paints. Some of the finishes we do we can not duplicate in any other paint.
  • mickisue
    hace 10 años
    SW has a really nice paint for woodwork. It goes on so beautifully. I can't remember the name, and am too lazy to run down two flights of stairs to get the can. But be sure to prime first. The professionals here can tell me if this is accurate, but, when I was researching how to prep the trim for paint, I was told that oil-based Kilz was the best way to make sure that the paint would adhere.
  • mlou72
    hace 10 años
    Satin empervo from Benjamin Moore. We have it on our kitchen cabinets and love it! Very durable and goes on easily.
  • solincia
    hace 10 años
    I third Satin Impervo, we used Waterborne for clean-up convenience, but oil for trim is the best!
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Benjamin Moore Advance woodwork paint is what you need to use. Depending on the condition of your cabinets now, you may need to use a primer. But in any case you will need to clean them very well, sand any rough spots and then use a deglosser product to dull the finish so the Advance will stick. Impervo is an exterior paint. The drying time of Advance is about 16 hrs. +/- , it dries to a very hard finish. :)
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Oh, sorry. Metal substrates only.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    hace 10 años
    Satin impervo has always been a top millwork paint it's not intended for metal I think your are thinking of impervex that's for metal
  • solincia
    hace 10 años
    Both the waterborne and oil based Impervos are used quite frequently on woodwork, as you can see by the recommendations. While I'm sure their 'advance' line is good as well, it's definitely one that should be considered for an excellent hard finish.
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Just going by Benjamin Moore's suggestion on their website and the suggestions of other Houzzers.
  • solincia
    hace 10 años
    From a professional paint forum: "Satin impervo and Dulamel are king. Here in colorado we still use oil on trim practically everyday. Advance is good if you spray but it runs if you brush and roll. Proclassic is almost as good as ben's oils. We find that sw proclassic does not yellow as fast as impervo or dulamel. Will be using reformulated proclassic alkyd/waterborne soon and will report back. Rep says its better than advance."
    http://www.painttalk.com/f2/i-still-love-satin-impervo-oil-17929/
  • User
    hace 10 años
    Going by manufacturers's and other Houzzer's statements. Meets all the OP's requirements. Just sayin' .
  • solincia
    hace 10 años
    The manufacturer even states that their Satin Impervo is their best selling trim paint. Advance is a newer formula than Impervo. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'd just hate to see the OP not consider it when most professionals would. I am not a professional, but i did my research prior to using it myself.
  • PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Buy what you like. I will not argue with your experience and research.
  • PRO
    Artful Interior Finishing
    hace 10 años
    I always use Satin Impervo by Benjamin Moore. They have started replacing oils with latex and eventually oils will no longer be available. This product gives me great results. Hope this helps.
    dstemple1956 agradeció a Artful Interior Finishing
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I think the most important part of the paint job will be the prep work. Just make sure you have a clean, smooth surface. Degloss by sanding and/or using a deglosser. I find using a deglosser works best. It's hard to sand into all the little corners. Use a high quality brush and do not overload it to leave as few brush strokes as possible. Once you've gone over an area, don't brush back and forth over it to smooth it out. Temperature and humidity will affect the dry time so be sure to allow enough time between coats. Use a primer. If you are going from a dark color to a light color make sure you have the dark color completely covered. Regardless of the paint you use, I'm sure it will come out beautifully! :))
    dstemple1956 agradeció a User
  • dstemple1956
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I neglected to state that I will be painting over varnished wood baseboards and trim. Does BM make a bonding primer. I hate the idea of having to sand or degloss every piece of woodwork in my house. Many thanks to you all for your help.
  • mickisue
    hace 10 años
    Varnished or polyurethaned? There is a big difference.
  • dstemple1956
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    mickisue - they are original 1959 varnished baseboards and trim.
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    hace 10 años
    It's always best to scuff sand but you can just use a deglosser then use stix primer from Benjamin Moore I wouldn't go without scuff sanding but that's yours choice to do so
  • yoboseiyo
    hace 10 años
    i actually prefer Behr paints just in general.
  • PRO
    Bostonian Floor Creations
    hace 10 años
    Benjamin Moore is the way to go, never have had a complaint:-)
  • Michael Fournier
    hace 8 años

As a cabinet maker and trim carpenter my first choice finish on any wood work and cabinets (doors drawers) is M.L. Campbell or Chemcraft wood finishes. (I have used both Solvent and water born) BUT these Professional quality finishes that are sprayed are not to be used without a respirator and very good ventilation. And are best applied in a controlled spay booth. But there are times it is impractical to use these.

So for trim, doors and cabinets already installed in a home when I am forced to use a brush on finish. I found only one paint that came close to the sprayed on finish and that is Benjamin Moore's Satin Impervo. On Doors and trim around windows and doors a Hard Durable finish is required. And I have not found a better finish in a brush on Interior house paint then what I get with Benjamin Moore's Satin Impervo. (the Alkyd)

If at all possible I would still not use a brush on house paint on Cabinet doors and drawer fronts in a kitchen. They get way too much handling and have to deal with kitchen cleaners and the knocks and spills of normal kitchen use. I also prefer to paint interior doors in high traffic areas with durable cabinet quality finishes as well. they look and hold up better over time. Nothing looks better then furniture grade finish on interior trim. and no paint I have ever seen or used comes close except Benjamin Moore's Satin Impervo.

• joviboys
    hace 7 años

This may be an old thread, but is the Satin Impervious water-based formula good for cabinets and trim? My cabinets will be very white and I don't want them to yellow. Thanks!

• Deanna Fuqua
    hace 7 años

I am painting Satin impervo water based right now in white. I was assured that it would not yellow at any point in the future.

• Melissa Gandhi
    hace 7 años

Michael Fournier your comment is so helpful! Had you used waterborne Satin Impervo? How would you grade its performance compared to alkyd Satin Impervo, in terms of laying (brushing indoor installed trims), durability, yellowing, and scrubbing?

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.