Houzz Logo Print
nessyhill

Kitchen help wanted

nessyhill
hace 10 años
I'm stuck with my kitchen, we moved in a few months ago, I have 2 main issues, I need tiles/splash back for the kitchen but with the kitchen cabinets and cooker being cream I'm unsure of what style and colour to go for we live in a 1930s house in the uk so the style is neither old or new
Secondly I have u shaped seating area around my dining table which I need to re upholster but not sure on a colour and I'd also like to paint or wallpaper behind the mirror
I'd love to hear your ideas
P.s I have a new dining room table on order which Is glass and has a single base pedalstool rather than the 4 legs
Thanks

Comentarios (21)

• PRO
    Essentia Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    What colours do you like?
    nessyhill agradeció a Essentia Interior Design
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    hace 10 años
    If you go to surfaceview.co.uk you can have custom tiles made that would look lovely as a background - try some horticultural prints which are reminiscent of portmeiron. It will take some fiddling to find the right backsplash size but it is worth it for a feature. Of if not look at http://glass-houseuk.co.uk/items/printed-glass-splashbacks/4/0/index.php for printed glass backsplashes and see if you can custom print your own picture designFor your upholstery why not introduce a stripe that is reminiscent of your blinds
    nessyhill agradeció a ASVInteriors
  • Conversaciones relacionadas

symmetrical focal point

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi, Provenca The current trend is to install all the high kitchen cabinets on one side, without respecting mirror symmetry. I hope I've helped to answer your question. Visit us at Facebook :-) Gabriela Rojman | puzzle arquitectura
    ...Ver más

roof top ideas

Q

(1) comentarios
    Hi Marina ! I think you have a place that offers a lot of design opportunities. First of all, you would have to see the direction of the sun to locate the places of stay and plan the vegetation. The best thing is that you use vegetation that absorbs the rain and does not need great maintenance and irrigation to minimize the work due to the access it presents. I could help you make a 3d design if you wanted to visualize ideas for your terrace, I would be happy to assist you! Greetings and good day!
    ...Ver más

The integration of elements complement each other

Q

(1) comentarios
    In this dissertation, we are warned that to renovate a house, so that everyone sarisfecho sits down, it is enough to make some partial feforms and maintain everything that contributes to the personality of the home. If we make such a total change, affecting everything previously existing, it is clear that our home, we cannot feel it easily like ours.
    ...Ver más

complimentary colors

Q

(0) comentarios
    Due to a leak I need to repaint my kitchen, and surrounding walls which leads eventually to my living room . I need HELP to find a color that compliments my CREAM Kitchen cabinets and the living room color which is BERKSHIRE BEIGE. I think I want shade of white to brighten up my kitchen and family room and hopefully compliment the Berkshire Beige (BM paint color).
    ...Ver más
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    If you don't need the blinds, I would remove them.
    nessyhill agradeció a CDR Design, LLC
  • PRO
    Arlene Mcloughlin Murals
    hace 10 años
    You could paint the cabinets and plaster the backsplash, both are affordable changes tat yeild huge design results
    nessyhill agradeció a Arlene Mcloughlin Murals
  • Brenda
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    love your kitchen. very pretty.

your banquette is huge ... that is going to cost a small fortune to reupholster. do you hate the green (I actually kinda like it)? Is it worth trying to incorporate some of that color into the wallpaper and backsplash to make it work in the space?

Also -- the chandelier and especially the mirror come across as a bit shabby chic -- is that your style? I'm not sure it is working for me with the art deco lines of the banquette and cleanline kitchen. But if you can define your style, maybe it can all be pulled together with wallpaper and accessories.
    nessyhill agradeció a Brenda
  • PRO
    All 4 Show, LLC
    hace 10 años
    [houzz=
    GREEN with Envy: LEED Certified Whole House Renovation · Más información
    ]
    I love the hints of Hollywood glam that r in the pic with the banquette. The glass table should look awesome there. It seems a transitional design is what you are leaning towards. Great start but I do think that the window treatments need to go, they seem a bit "country" in that great kitchen.... :)
    nessyhill agradeció a All 4 Show, LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 10 años
    I think the mirror doesn't really work , the chandelier will look great with the glass table, I agree the window treatment has to go. If the green upholstery is in good shape why not keep it and use the color as a base for the new color scheme. There are lots of glass tiles that have that green in them and then wallpaper with just a touch of the green and you can save the money from the upholstery and get really nice tiles and wallpaper. The kitchen is really nice .
    nessyhill agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I agree about the mirror. I would do one of two things on the wall:

-mirror the entire wall

or

-paper the wall

That is a great alternative that Brenda suggested about not recovering the banquette. Maybe it is in bad condition, but especially with all of those channel-backs, it is not going to be cheap.

One thing you could consider, if you reupholster, is to eliminate the channel-backs. The advantage would be no crumbs stuck in there an reduced cost. The disadvantage would be that you would lose some of the charm.
  • nessyhill
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I think you'd all agree that I'm lacking a 'style'
    I appreciate all your comments

Essentia There isn't really a colour unlike, I prefer things very simple

ASV I will check out those links, I'm not sure about keepin the blinds.....

Cdr I like the idea of the mosaic the pictures are both lovely and I think a dark charcoal would be nice

Arlene the light in my kitchen is quite dark and with the dark floor I'd be nervous about painting the cabinets darker

Brenda yes I don't dislike the colour but the fabric is awful as it was brought second hand and is very tired, I agree with your comments I do like shabby chic and Art Deco and the style of my whole house is very confused. We have lived here for a few months and have brought all our old furniture and tried to make it work within the house some more successfully than others

All 4 show, this is a great picture, I do love the hints of Hollywood glam., this picture probably best sums up my vision going forward

My thoughts so far are to go for a mosaic tile, and change the blinds, if the seating was charcoal what type of window treatment would you suggest
  • terines
    hace 10 años
    I'm not a designer but looking at the pictures I think that having both the mirror and the chandelier seems a bit crowded.
    I love the mirror but like it had been mentioned above, the clean lines of the kitchen define a style very different from the mirror.
    The window treatment seem to somehow match the style of the kitchen but I think it's not really working with the banquette. I think removing it might help bringing the two areas together.
    I'd go with a light color for the back splash like acqua (green or very light soft blue) or even plain white. I love white kitchens and I know this is a personal taste. But the wood coutertop and the black knobs do provide some detail already.
    What about a neutral color for the upholstery with no channel-backs? and a geometric wall paper, for example white with green lines - not too busy. So that way the chandelier might really stand out as being a unique piece.
    What a beautiful kitchen area banquette area!!
    nessyhill agradeció a terines
  • bellesum
    hace 10 años
    Backsplash and banquette seating ideas:
    http://houzz.com/photos/1076616

Do a search for banquette seating and there are plenty of options.

The kitchen looks fine but it may be improved by removing the crown moulding that cuts across the cooker hood. The stainless backsplash would look better covering the entire space behind the chimney with no gap on the wall between it and the cabinet.
    nessyhill agradeció a bellesum
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    hace 10 años
    Cabinets, walls, oven, etc. are neutral. Based on that I would pick a backsplash that had more impact. A mosaic, colored glass subway tile, etc. This could then give you some colors to take from the backsplash and use throughout the 2 spaces (I consider the kitchen separate from the eating area) to bring them both together.
    nessyhill agradeció a Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Window treatment: do you need one? It looks like you could easily do an inside mount, if you need a window treatment.

My concern is balance on the other side of the banquette. Can you take a photo of that other side?
  • PRO
    Mommys Time Space and Being
    hace 10 años
    Since the wall to be covered with back splash is relatively minimal, and the majority of the finishes and other fixtures in the kitchen are neutral, I would use a brushed nickel splash to honor the integrity and period of your home. I would also source a solid lighter fabric in a for your banquet seating area. I recommend placing a graphic wall paper (perhaps with a similar motif of the back splash) on just the wall with the mirror and painting adjacent walls. I've attached some images for reference. All the best! Hope this helps!
    nessyhill agradeció a Mommys Time Space and Being
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    One more thing……

I would remove the bridge from in front of the exhaust. Then, I would add crown to the top of the cabinets, bringing them to the ceiling. See the deep crown in "Deluxe In Alexandria" photo above. It would look something like that.
  • PRO
    Emerson Brothers Construction
    hace 10 años
    White beveled subway tiles might look nice. They are modern and traditional at the same time. I also think a nickel backsplash as suggested by Ecstaci Davis would look nice as well. Good luck!
    nessyhill agradeció a Emerson Brothers Construction
  • kmdodge
    hace 10 años
    Can you take one more suggestion?
    First... I love the chandelier & mirror. But I am going to suggest some tweaking.
    The banquet reupholstered in bright turquoise with hints of flax. use a small print ( to hide food stains, crumbs etc) in a washable indoor / outdoor material. Paint the walls flax to keep room bright.
    Now here is where you can add accent colours. Paint the mirror turquoise or any co-ordinating blue if you like the blue theme. But if you want to really go bold, maybe "lime" ?
    As for the tile backsplash, white is always a good solid choice or any of the accent colours for fun. But remove what is behind the cooker and the crown molding on either side of vent. You can paint above the cabinets turquoise too!
    Simple Roman shades for window treatments, & co-ordinate with wall colour.
    Have fun with this & post photos!
    nessyhill agradeció a kmdodge
  • nessyhill
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I'm blown away by all your fantastic ideas, thank you ever so much you've all given me a lot to think about.
    I'm going to see if I can out the mirror in another room, and remove the blinds
    I like the idea of no channel backs on the seating I will look I to that.
    I hadn't thought about the crown mouldings/bridge I think that would make a big difference

Ecstaci Davis I will explore the nickel backsplash-I haven't seen that before it's beautiful

Kmdodge your idea does sounds fun but I'm scared of anything too bright esp on the seating as its going to cost a lot to have done I'd prefer to have a colour that's more adaptable less statement

I've attached a couple more pics
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Neutral on the expensive items is the way to go. You can always add accents in colors.

What I would do is to buy a simple square mirror about the size of the window and place it on the wall opposite the window. If the view is not so good, then art.

What is that above the chandelier? A recessed ceiling? If so, please take advantage and paint it in a metallic paint (pewter or charcoal)
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    Hi fellow Brit !!!
    Why not throw a couple of floki ( bet I've spelt that wrong ! Shaggy Greek wool rug?!? ) rugs over the upholstery or reindeer hides - add a few vibrant lumber cushions and it will be comfy and easy to shake clean ?!
    Your furniture isn't THAT bad - but if you really didn't like it - the doors are std size - you could easily change them ! :-)
    nessyhill agradeció a OnePlan
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.