Houzz Logo Print
na240281

Need advice.. Add colour or keep neutral??

na240281
hace 10 años
Would appreciate any advice.... Should I add colour (cushions, throws, flowers etc?) Also should I paint fireplace surround white (and get different colour mirror).

Comentarios (87)

• PRO
    Judi Summers Design
    hace 10 años
    Mirror by table is great. Go a few inches higher than the b&w prints.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    you could have cream chairs ! ( wipeable, rather than linen, if you have little ones still !!) Eiffel ones maybe ?!?
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Yeah I think cream chairs would be nice too, softer than wooden ones. Have a 1 and 2 year old so wipeable chairs are a must!
    Thanks
  • Cathy Hodosky
    hace 10 años
    I love the look of the black chairs with the wooden table. But I am not fond of those black chairs. Too modern for my more traditional taste. I love mirrors and think they can be used anywhere but in your space I would prefer it over the fireplace and painted black.
  • Kicksychick
    hace 10 años
    You have a lovely room! I don't think the fireplace should be painted since the wood ties into the rest of your space so well. Rather, I would move the mirror to another space and replace it with artwork. Choose artwork in colors you love then use those colors to add pillows/throw/accessories to your room.

The TV stand seems a bit too modern for your more traditional room. Think about using chests on either side of the fireplace and use one as a TV stand. They do not need to match perfectly or be the same size.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you Cathy and kicksychick. Appreciate you suggestions!
    Going to try out these ideas
  • kristylou
    hace 10 años
    DON'T PAINT YOUR FIREPLACE!!!! That shade of wood is so warm and inviting. Ties in with everything. I'm all for neutral and calm but you've done such a great job so far that I think some subtle color and you will keep the feeling you have in there. Personally I don't like the mirror on the table but it's a personal preference. Can't wait to see where you go with it!!
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks kirtsylou! Appreciate your comments.

Will post some photos when have made changes / new purchases
  • meggielh
    hace 10 años
    Don't paint the fireplace!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    Just a thought ... Gardenarian suggested the sofas opposite each other ie one moved under the window and pulled forward slightly - allowing the tv to be placed opposite the fireplace - this is a classic set up ( I have it in my lounge like this !) but if it's not possible (tv Ariel etc I would imagine would be the sticking point ) then maybe go on Jali.co.uk and design yourself a radiator cabinet with an oversized window cill top ( they do them like this just for situations like yours ) as it will neaten up the radiator as it's naked and on full view at the moment !!
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Oneplan- yeah with TV aeriel would be difficult to do that set up. I love the radiator cabinet idea. My only worry is, does it block the heat?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    Not really - I have them on most of mine - and the heat still comes out well ! I went for simple slot design- as I felt it would look smart - but there's all sorts of designs to choose from !
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    That's beautiful
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Do you bring it up to the height if window ledge?
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    Thank you [blushes] !

Yes - there's simple measuring guides on the Jali site - so have your laptop near while you measure and then simply put the info into the site and they work it all out to optimum size ! It's the place most Brit designers get theirs made for clients ! Been around for years and years ! Based just outside Canterbury- Kent ! I totally recommend them !!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    hace 10 años
    It replaces your window cill
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you so much. I will have a look :)
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Tried turning mirror vertically but as you can see it goes too high!??

I actually bought this mirror recently after moving to this new house to go with the fireplace (the mirror is brushed copper, not wooden as i think someone thought) so am reluctant to change it...

Does anyone think it actually works well with fireplace and room or should I paint it black???

Liked the idea of black round mirror but would prefer try using what I have first...
  • Mark
    hace 10 años
    It's too high. For me something round would be better, like the black mirror I suggested. You have so many rectangular things already, the sofa, the rug, the fireplace, the pictures, the tv...... It's a nice mirror I wouldn't paint it. It didn't look bad the way you had it originally so if you want to keep it put it back the way you had it and try adding some black accessories on the mantle.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks Mark!

will leave it as it was and get black accessories like you said. I agree that a round black mirror would be better. If I find another room to put it in then I can maybe replace it with that :) thanks
  • Mark
    hace 10 años
    Just wanted to say that you have done a lovely job and should be proud of your space. As designers and lovers of interior design we pick apart a room trying to make it the best that we can and if you listened to us all you would never stop changing things :) You bought the mirror because you loved it and wanted it for this space so please sit and relax and enjoy this beautiful room that you worked so hard to create.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you Mark :)
  • Barbara Stymiest-Colvin
    hace 10 años
    That wood is beautiful. I am glad to hear that you are not painting it.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Bought a few cushions mainly grey and lilac. I need help at knowing how to arrange them and where to put the colour ones...
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    Your mirror is reflecting the ceiling. Is that something you really want to double in your space? I rarely advise this, but I think you could get away with TV there - maybe on a tilt forward for better viewing and on a swing arm if you like to see it from the dining room. This can work really well if there happens to be a closet behind the FP where TV gear can be stashed. If that placement is not possible, consider putting the mirror vertical behind the sofa so it reflects the FP. I'd suggest putting the art over the FP, but I think it is too wide. I prefer FP mirrors/art to be slightly smaller than the firebox opening, in most cases. TV's need to stay within 75% of the mantel's width. If art stays with sofa, lower it to 5" above the back. Have you tried it in the DR? Photos right of FP need their center point 60" above the floor, and one frame's width between them. I'd remove the clock to a kitchen wall that is out of view of the living/dining area. Tables and lamps, not matchy-matchy ones would be a great addition here. Center the rug on the FP and so that the front feet of both sofas are on the edges of it - all about balance.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    hace 10 años
    decoenthusiaste has a good suggestion about the rug / furniture placement, and I would lower the painting over the sofa a few inches as they said.

I like your mirror, but I think it needs to be hung slightly above the mantle, not resting. Maybe 2-3 inches higher than it is. It just needs to be a little higher in that space, though a round mirror would look excellent there. I also thought the mirror could work with the table, but again I would hang it. It's up to you and your taste!

On the couch pillows, I like your colors, but I don't know if I'm a fan of all the faux fur pillows. Maybe trying something a little sleeker.

Cream chairs or black chairs would both look good. I think some black accents might help with contrast in the space - black chairs and mirror, but I agree that you'll want different chairs. I'll post some suggestions soon. Great space to work with!
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I don't think my rug is big enough to centre it by the fireplace and have both sofa's front legs on the edge. I tried it but I have to move the sofa that sits beside fireplace and then it's too close to the entrance door
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Decoenthusiaste- Thanks for the tips on measurements on pictures. Yes tried mirror above table (photo added above). I tried it above sofa but didn't think of placing it vertically. Would you suggest putting anything either side of mirror then?
  • kristylou
    hace 10 años
    The 2 pictures to the right of fireplace seem off. I know it's not what a professional would do but i almost want to add a 3rd one. There's too much space below them if that makes sense so that might be why I'm wanting a 3rd one. Also, even with the tv there, there's no balance to those pictures, on the left side of the fireplace. I agree the faux fur needs to go; especially the heart one. It makes me feel like your 6 year old left her pillow in the living room. Also, how about some pattern; maybe in the pillows? With the black in the fireplace, the frames, and the dark throw I'm looking for some dark near the floor. Maybe instead of a coffee table (if you don't want one and that's why there isn't one) you could do a upholstered ottoman in front of couch? End tables and table lamps would be great also.
  • Alicia Ogilvie
    hace 10 años
    Yes add color it will make the room pop
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    hace 10 años
    Here are some ideas on couch pillows that will work well with your lilac pillows and your color scheme. I love pillows with texture:
    http://www.westelm.com/products/honeycomb-crewel-pillow-cover-slate-t691/?pkey=cpillows&cm_src=pillows||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    http://www.westelm.com/products/diamond-dot-crewel-pillow-cover-dusty-blue-t716/?pkey=cpillows&cm_src=pillows||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    http://www.westelm.com/products/gilded-cable-pillow-cover-silver-t837/?pkey=cpillows&cm_src=pillows||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_- http://www.westelm.com/products/pebble-dot-pillow-cover-zigzag-steel-t851/?pkey=cpillows&cm_src=pillows||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-

And here are some ideas for dining chairs:
    http://www.hayneedle.com/product/hookerfurnituresummerglenantiquewhiteladderbacksidechair2chairs.cfm
    http://www.hayneedle.com/product/legacyglencovexbackdiningsidechairssetof2.cfm
    http://www.hayneedle.com/product/northernheightssidechair2chairs.cfm
    http://www.hayneedle.com/product/chintalyangelinabraidedbackdiningsidechairssetof2.cfm

I really like the colors you have in your dining room now (especially with your copper mirror), but I think it's just the visual weight of the chairs that may bother you. I included more open-frame chairs so the dark accents aren't too overwhelming.
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    hace 10 años
    Have you consider keeping the mirror with the dining set and moving your black and white photos above the fireplace? I like the idea of a black round mirror there, but I think the mirror you have works really well with the dining set and you don't need 2 different mirrors so close together.

If you like black accents above the fireplace, consider moving the black and white photos there and putting sconces on each side of the photos. Or find a decorative metal piece and put it above the fireplace.

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/wrought-iron--medallion-wall-art/?pkey=call-wall-decor-art&cm_src=all-wall-decor-art||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    http://www.potterybarn.com/products/circles-wall-mount-votive-holder/?pkey=call-wall-decor-art&cm_src=all-wall-decor-art||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I've gone OCD over this but I can't help it!!! not finding it easy putting finishing touches.

When you start rearranging things it changes the balance

Work in progress!
  • Barbie
    hace 10 años
    I would not paint the fireplace but the mirror would look great painted charcoal. I would use chalk paint on it.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Rearranged the mirror- obviously would be hung on wal
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    That will be great! Does it reflect the FP? You could hang a pair of candle sconces either side of it if you feel the space is still too bare.
  • PRO
    Virtus Design
    hace 10 años
    Definitely add some pop of color. You have quite a few great suggestions above!
  • Lisa Imhoff
    hace 10 años
    I would paint the wall on the fireplace a nice bright color, get a rug with color to much of the same color. Add some pillows to couch with a bright color to tie it all together.
  • edithsmom
    hace 10 años
    Would your two black & white photos look better over your dining table? (Hung a bit lower)
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 10 años
    The mirror looked better over your fireplace. I'm attaching some of my artwork for over your sofa. The idea is to add color and texture to your room. I have many options available in canvas prints. All here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/katshoa

Enjoy decorating!
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    hace 10 años
    And some options for above the dining table (or the mantel).
  • cowgirl26
    hace 10 años
    I think color would be wonderful
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Before I hang this mirror above the table, does it look bad the reflection you see in the mirror when you walk into the room.

I could put flowers on the table to distract from the reflection of the oven.
  • na240281
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Pics
  • cowgirl26
    hace 10 años
    I definitely thing that something should distract from the reflection of the oven. Flowers would be nice..
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 10 años
    Put legs on the mirror and use it for a coffee table - it isn't working anywhere else.
  • ebgoings
    hace 10 años
    ebgoings
    Yes, I would paint the fireplace woodwork white.
    T.J Maxx is a great place to find beautiful mirrors, pillows, and accessories at reasonable prices. Have you thought about placing the T.V. on the fireplace mantle. How about adding 2 chairs on the window side out of a print. Definitely and some color and pattern with sofa pillows. What about end tables on either side of the sofa with lamps. And art work over the sofa...... A medium wall color would give the room more character....
  • cindyguent
    hace 10 años
    You don't need to paint anything! Great basics already. I suggest using bolder pillows, no pastels. Use black/white prints mixed with either grey/white, grey/gold or combo of these colors. Try hanging mirror vertically over fireplace as suggested. Black wrought iron candle sconces on right and left of mirror. Please hang large pic again over sofa at lower level as per other posters and show us how that looks. Black or grey lamps with white shades on end tables or one end table and a coffee table (maybe tufted top, charcoal or black).
  • armipeg
    hace 10 años
    TV would be nice over the mantel.
  • PRO
    Suzanne Powers
    hace 10 años
    I'm seeing some wonderful family black and white photography, why not have an arrangement with more black and white family photography over the sofa, the two pieces look isolated and not use the canvas wrap or incorporate what looks like greys into the room should you decide to use it.

The reason the wonderful natural wood fireplace and prints look isolated because the colors are nowhere else in the room.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.