Houzz Logo Print
ideashare

Need help chosing roof color

ideashare
hace 10 años
http://www.certainteed.com/resources/LandmarkSeriesBrochSoutheast.pdf Page 14
Will be using certainteed landmark designer shingles - 30 yr. Need help choosing roof color. Advise as to best choice plus 2nd & 3rd options if there are that many good ones. Open to changing shutter and door color as well. Need those color changes as well. Live in humid GA where temps get over 100 in summer so would like to go lighter in color if advisable - also have trees around property so don't know if staining will be issue. Was considering driftwood, but since it is a cool color don't know if warm house and siding color goes with cool roof. Please ignore work in progress - roof extension & foundation plants removed.

Comentarios (19)

• studio3600
    hace 10 años
    I like cobblestone gray or granite gray. They are lighter than driftwood and have more variation of colors. I would take the shutters off the three windows. Add larger ones to the one over the garage.
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Granite gray is not available in my area. Cobblestone gray looks really light on computer monitor. I have sample boards of weathered wood and driftwood. Driftwood is cool toned. I was considering weathered wood, but thought it might be too light. The available roof colors seem a little busy to me. Except I like one of the 50 yr. shingle colors they have. House does not seem "worthy" or warrant those $$'s. I was looking at the browns, but wonder about resale @ some point. Paint dept. gal suggested heather blend. I live in HOA and they want black but have allowed other colors lately. Roofer said moire black would be darker than what I currently have - so doesn't excite me on that one. Is there another gray available (in my area) that would work? Is it preferable to have warm toned roof since I have warm toned house?

The only shutters I have are on the large window and over the garage. Did you mean to make the shutter over the garage a little wider? There are not shutters around the door. Those are glass blocks on either side. Thinking you may have though they were shutters, so I could only remove 2 sets of shutters. Thought about putting a circular emblem (don't know the name) over the left window near the roof line.
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    The landmark designer series is as high dollar as I will be going on this house. I don't think the roof choice would be as difficult if I had a total brick front, but the siding is a lot more than an accent. What would touchadream's color choice be (or anyone else's)? http://www.capstonetn.com/#!our-work/ceb2 This is a link to houses that have brick very much like mine, if not exactly, let me know if you think it is exact or not. Anyway, the driftwood roofs look OK to me on these houses, but they have light/blue/gray vs. the cream/yellow that is on my house. So wondering if this difference would make that color look bad on my house. I have a sample board of the driftwood & weathered wood colors. Have not asked the roofer about other colors yet, but I need to make a decision in a few days. http://www.certainteed.com/resources/LandmarkSeriesBrochSoutheast.pdf Page 14.
  • touchadream
    hace 10 años
    I like the weathered wood the best. The driftwood second choice. To me the roof of a house should not be a focal point, but should blend with surroundings and show off the front of the house. The weathered wood has enough yellow undertones that I don't think it argues with your house trim. Either choice is an update from the dark roof, so you won't go wrong here. Surprisingly my rather redneck roofer had rather good taste in helping me select the roof of my rather expensive house, so I think I would consider that opinion also. He may be aware of resale trends and this is a long term purchase. You have made two great choices, I think.
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    touchadream, My attitude is the same as yours regarding that the roof usually should not be a focal point. Hey, it gets old, and shows it's age much more than the other materials. I can't say these were my choices. It's just the sample boards that I guess were available. Thanks for your input. More would be appreciated. If you have the time ask your pals. The roofing supervisor is suggesting black and some sort of red brown. I don't know if he was referring to the burnt sienna or the other brown. My salesman has moved on to another company so I can't ask him.
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    This is the correct link for driftwood roofs http://www.capstonetn.com/#!our-work/ceb2 that have the same brick as my house but different colored siding. My house is cream/yellow this one is light/gray/blue. It's getting late . . . so I will be hoping for early bird comments regarding if this cool tone would work with my house.
  • studio3600
    hace 10 años
    Some dimension in the roof usually looks nice and doesn't become the focal point. However, I do know what you mean about too busy. Your brick and siding are solid (color) so some varied color on the roof would look nice. Blue/gray certainly goes nicely with yellow. You are right don't go with a brown roof. Haven't seen one that doesn't appear "old and ugly" yet. Regarding the shutters, I just think the pair around the three windows doesn't add interest only questions. The pair over the garage would look nice if they had hardware ( as if they worked) and wider. I like your red door too! My neighbor has a yellow house with a red door and black shutters and it looks nice! You have a cute house.
  • studio3600
    hace 10 años
    Just another observation you didn't ask for..... Two coach lights would look nice added to each side of your garage. Happy Tuesday!
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Calling roof color experts . . . Still haven't chosen roof color . . . Trying to decide on something from the CertainTeed Landmark Shingle line southeast color selections. Would Cobblestone Gray would work for this house - why or why not? Would this color appear too light or busy for my house? It has a definite light green sheen plus some blue of course gray with the dark shadow line. It seems to go fairly well with siding, but not brick. Kind of reminds me of traditional slate, but not quite. Live in humid GA so that is a consideration as far as algae. Does anyone vote for moire black or driftwood - why or why not? Also, Wondering if the black is supposed to look better because my roof is so tall and steep. Have changed my mind about light colors. Considering medium-dark, if medium would even look good on this house. Let me know. Realize I may need to change shutter and door color, but trying to get a roof over my head 1st.
    Please ignore work in progress and lack of landscaping a storm came through here a while back.
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    By the way all trim to stay white - windows, doors, gutters, and white pvc around door.
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Calling all roof color experts . . .
  • ideashare
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Help need roof color experts
  • PRO
    Vince Hee Roofing & Histand Brothers Inc.
    hace 8 años

I think you must be down to the wire by now. I would make a strong recommendation for Colonial Slate. There is a red granule in the mix which gives a little more variation. I would also recommend the upgrade to Landmark Pro. You either like the additional variation or you don't. I describe it as lighter lights and darker darks. With the steep pitch of your roof, whatever shingle you look at will look its best. If you ask where they are purchasing the shingles, the supply house can provide them addresses that you can drive by close to home. And make a decision by Friday. You will work better under a little pressure.

• PRO
    Vince Hee Roofing & Histand Brothers Inc.
    hace 8 años

Now I feel like a fool 2 years later

• toriat
    hace 8 años
    I'd go a shade darker like a charcoal gray. The lighter roofs show stains easily.
  • PRO
    The Master's Touch
    hace 6 años

What did you finally go with? I have a yellow sided house and think we will use Weathered Wood

• H D
    hace 6 años

The Master's Touch, I am also considering Weathered Wood, for a tan sided house. What did you end up with? How do you like it? Thanks in advance.

• Tammy Lawhorn
    hace 6 años
    I like the heather blend.. it has some red hues in it and enough gray to look nice with the color of your siding. The red door need to be changed. It clashes with the color of your brick. Let me look for color suggestions for you.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.