Houzz Logo Print
rosemary_camiolo

need updating for an old fashioned fireplace

Rosemary Camiolo
hace 10 años
I have a 40 year old fireplace in need of updating. The family room is long and narrow. This fireplace stands at one long end and takes up almost the whole wall, leaving the remaining space on either side not useable. Any cheap ideas to update it? It has a gas log insert, so bricks etc do not get hot.

Comentarios (20)

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Before you spend $ on the fireplace, I would recommend you turn your attention to other items.

You can put as much time and $ into the fireplace as you want, and the room will never look good unless you:

1) Remove the clock
    2) Remove the photos, flowers and whatever else is on the hearth (looks cluttered and misplaces)
    3) Replace the carpet? We might be able to work with it?
    4) Move the giant piece to the left of fireplace

If I could see more, pictures, I could recommend how you could best utilize the areas to the side of the fp.

Would also need to see the rest of the room.
    What about the paneling? Do you want to keep it? Can you remove it?
  • PRO
    Rocky Mountain Color & Design
    hace 10 años
    The easiest fix would be to paint it or whitewash it. I would paint the paneling also. Does it go around the entire room? Or remove the paneling and paint the walls behind it. Can we see more of the room?
  • Rosemary Camiolo
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    thanks, carpet is in pretty good shape. the giant piece of furniture houses the TV and electronics. Due to the long narrow room, only place the TV can go without glare from windows effecting the screen. such an odd space. the piece was custom built to go right into the corner, as far back as possible. places for chairs to view TV are limited due to windows. always been a difficult room to deal with.
  • Rosemary Camiolo
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    didn't do anything! need more help!
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Fireplace will never look good with that corner piece there. Need pics of rest of the room, but I am not seeing why tv cannot go on wall to left of fp, with a slimline console.

Sorry, I almost never say I cannot help, but I will not be able to make this any better as long as the corner piece remains.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Rosemary. Yes, it does look a lot better.
  • Rosemary Camiolo
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The TV is the issue. the wall on the left or right the fire place is on is not big enough for TV. The wall on the left side of the fireplace could have a TV, but it would only be viewed by the two chairs opposite. the love seat would have no view. Could the TV be mounted about the mantel piece? Then both side of the fireplace would be free. I understand the corner piece is an issue, but before it goes, we need to find some where for the TV.
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    I do not recommend placing tv's over fireplaces. In this case, the tv will be too high.

Many family rooms have an L shape configuration. You simply place the furniture that you use the most in front of the tv.

So, I would recommend placing the tv on the wall to the left of the fp (not on the fp wall, but wall perpendicular to fp wall).

The right wall is a possibility too. I cannot see enough of the room to tell.
  • Rosemary Camiolo
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    thanks...we have been "tinkering" with this family room since we moved in...the right wall is out for the TV, due to the glare from the two large windows opposite. It is one of those oddly shaped rooms. thanks so much for your input.
  • arnickels
    hace 10 años
    When we upgraded our TV to a large flat screen, we had the same problem. In fact, our room is almost exactly like yours. I ended up putting the furniture in front of the windows & mounting thick fabric roll-downs that we can put down when we want to watch TV when there's a glare. It totally works for us.
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    I'd say whitewash, it will make the walls look warmer and update the brick look. The easiest and cheapest way is to buy a can of white wall paint (preferably a white primer) a normal round paint brush and a nylon scrubbing brush (or a steel brush). Paint the grout lines and use a damp sponge to rub out excess paint (careless sprawling). Once this is dry, make a whitewash with half paint half water and sponge (dipping) the entire fireplace. Dry again and repeat until satisfied. The hard brush can be used to rub down places, to give it a more vintage look. Of course there might be more ways, but this is a cheap one.
    My Houzz: Eye Candy Colors Fill an 1800s New Orleans Victorian · Más información

Living Room · Más información
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    And.. The corner piece is really dating the room. Either take off the doors and paint it a dark walnut like the paneling (or black). But if possible, hang the tv on the left wall (or place on simple media cabinet) and get a bottom up blind against the glare (for example). Plus in my opinion the carpet does not do the room justice either. A medium warm grey natural (sisal?) or a grey oak (laminate/wood/vinyl) and a nice wool rug will look a lot better.
    Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom · Más información

Hill Country Contemporary · Más información

Andrea Braund · Más información

Gramercy Townhouse · Más información

Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired House · Más información

Upper East Side Carriage House · Más información
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    thanks, ring creation. There are plenty of options for arranging furniture. Here are more in rooms narrower than yours.

Please post more pictures so that we can see the entire room. Then we can help more.

If carpet is in good condition, we can make the teal color a highlight. Right now, the teal carpet is being ignored. See how the teal is played up in the last photo.

houzz=
    A Modern Miami Home · Más información
    [houzz=
    Family Room · Más información
    [houzz=
    Marblehead Coastal Home · Más información
    [houzz=
    Black & White · Más información
    ]
  • PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Is that wall-wall carpeting or a rug in your room?
  • PRO
    Rocky Mountain Color & Design
    hace 10 años
    How about placing the TV cabinet on the wall to the left of the fireplace and using an L shaped sofa with one side on the left wall and the other facing the fireplace? I believe you would be able to see the TV from all angles. Does your TV slide out and swivel? This would help you be able to angle the TV for all around viewing. this one is available on Amazon.
  • PRO
    HX Home Solutions and North Star Stone
    hace 10 años
    You can add stone veneer to cover the bricks. It's a relatively easy project that you could do yourself if you're looking to save money. You can choose the color and style of the stone to match your design and furniture and install the veneers yourself to save on cost. They would install right over the brick which makes things easy and fast, and the new stone is a great way to update the fireplace. Let us know if you have any questions!
  • PRO
    Prolific Cabinetry and More
    hace 10 años
    Everyone has great ideas! i would probably do the whitewash and add tv to above fireplace with tilt add furniture to the left and the right and also get the roll down shades. The stone veneer is a good idea as well.
  • janlee204
    hace 10 años
    I would spray paint over the brass with rustoleum high heat paint like we did (pictures below). Scuff up the brass a bit with light sand paper. The brick colors look great! Maybe add some teal decor for a pop of colour.
  • hinkbone
    hace 9 años
    I know this problem, all too well, have almost the same situation. At least your fireplace insert is a reasonable size, lol mine is so small, gets lost in the "WALL" of bricks. I haven't got a mantle yet, surely that would help some. I had my paneling mudded and painted, looks just like sheetrock.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.