Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: Favorite Kitchen Tile?

Houzz Polls
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 10 años
What's your favorite tile for your kitchen?

Vote for your choice! To enter the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz Slippers! Post a comment telling us what tile you currently have in your kitchen (feel free to share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing.

Watch the video below to see what the slippers look like! :)

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 11/3/2013. One winner will be drawn at random.

Comentarios (685)

• Debbie Thomas
    hace 10 años
    sumway tile is timeless, no matter what angle you use it as
  • sdtjl1010
    hace 10 años
    I have always wanted a mural of some sort above the range, so I chose custom mosaic tile. We have artists on both sides of the family, as well as friends who are artists. I would chose one of their pieces to be transferred to tile. It always comes back to family for me.
  • PRO
    Craftsman Timber Frame Ltd.
    hace 10 años
    I love our glass tile backsplash in our kitchen with the soapstone counters.
  • Maria Del Mar Camara S
    hace 10 años
    Ceramic
  • Caroline Dilbeck
    hace 10 años
    We just redid our kitchen (more on that here: http://sylvanparklife.blogspot.com/search/label/kitchen). We chose white shaker-style solid wood cabinets with SW mindful grey walls, and charcoal colored porcelain floor tiles. This made the backsplash decision easy: white subway tiles to complete this classic look. The harder decision for us was which color grout: grey or white?
  • PRO
    AliciaTappDesigns Images on Tiles
    hace 10 años
    take a look at my fave kitchen tile backsplash Mosaics

http://www.mosaicsyourway.com
  • Debbie Thomas
    hace 10 años
    They are all beautiful. But I have to wait until I can afford to update my kitchen, to determine what style of backsplash that I wasnt. Somthing durable, functional & washable. Color, then will be the most important factor
  • Jamie Wagner
    hace 10 años
    Was a winner ever drawn for this?
  • Debbie Thomas
    hace 10 años
    Your kitchen is the center of all family gatherings, why not make it outstanding
  • sunnie2day
    hace 10 años
    Kubad3, you're quite right about that! Even the smallest kitchens tend to be the one room in the house people gravitate to. Makes sense to go all out on that room.

We're going to be going through some family changes (son and grandson moving in) and are bumping out the kitchen to make room for bigger dining area (sigh, good-bye cute little bistro set, hello family style banquette!), hidden appliances, etc, and are now looking at this poll & discussion even closer than before - lots of great ideas and solutions re tiling brought up here. We accidentally fell back in love with tile for kitchen and bath during the reno-to-sell our former home and are now actively looking at tile for the reno'd kitchen and family bath+the new ensuite.
  • bubblyjock
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    I cooked a big brunch in a kitchen yesterday with 6" tumbled travertine tiles for countertops. Initially I thought it was going to be miserable, but by the time we were done I began to consider it for our our kitchen renovation, I liked it so much.

Tumbled travertine has a softness that is sadly lacking in granite, and is a nice mottled creamy colour, and a satin finish. No doubt it's a b*gger to clean when you spill red wine or cranberry juice, but it's easy to seal, very attractive, and if you're quick to clean up, I'd say it was worth that little bit of effort on maintenance.

And what's a kitchen, without a little mess and elbow grease! I always come back to the kitchens of the greats, such as Elizabeth David (Johnny Grey's aunty) or Julia Child - neither would garner much gushing admiration (no cruise-ship sized appliances or honking great granite islands), but both were home to women who revolutionized the way we cooked and ate for ever:

http://lukehoney.typepad.com/the_greasy_spoon/2013/09/elizabeth-davids-kitchen.html

Julia Child Kitchen, recreated · Más información
  • Wendy Stout
    hace 10 años
    My daughter's house has the outlets under the cupboards for an uncut backsplash. She loves them. No outlets in the backsplash! I plan on doing that when we build our kitchen with black subway tiles. Has anyone done that? Thoughts about it?
  • Lou Cable
    hace 10 años
    I have a 1925 Sears house and would eventually like to combine the dining room and kitchen. Have already decided on subway tile for the majority of the kitchen but we probably go with mosaic tile for behind the stove. Will most likely use my own design. Recently taught myself how to do mosaic tiling. Started with two old bentwood chairs. It wasn't as hard as I originally thought.
  • PRO
    Design With Distinction, LLC
    hace 10 años
    Subway tile is classic and timeless!
  • Robt. Hagen
    hace 10 años
    We're installing solid sheets of glass as backslash and wall behind exhaust hood. From Dreamwalls.
  • karelina
    hace 10 años
    Robt. Hagen: I've been thinking about the same thing. I don't know what dreamworlds is, but my idea was to use texture glass.
  • eightpondfarm
    hace 10 años
    the less grout the better in a kitchen or bathroom! solid sheet of glass sounds like an easy cleanup .... would love to see a pic after. leacable, your mosaics are so well done, bet it was fun!
  • eightpondfarm
    hace 10 años
    whoops... lacable
  • Debbie Thomas
    hace 10 años
    The tin backsplash I was told cannot take extreme heat. Weather or not this is true, I do mot know, WOuld not take a chance. And the tin would be harder to to match to the decor of your kitchen. The decor of your kitchen would be the most important issue to me. Country, modern, etc. should leed you to your choice of backsplash. Account for dorability also
  • BuddyMeredith Spies
    hace 10 años
    We're in the middle of a kitchen remodel as well, and we've decided on white subway tile with some kind of accent strip. We've been LOVING Houzz's pictures and discussions to give us ideas!
  • Debbie Thomas
    hace 10 años
    The subway tile is classic, easy to clean. Using a natural color like white, beige, if you shouldever update your kitchen again, it goes with everyhting
  • PRO
    Facings of America, Inc
    hace 10 años
    Attached are two of the most frequently downloaded kitchen images on HOUZZ
  • danieBOB
    hace 10 años
    Right now we have a brownish ceramic tile with wide grout lines on the counter. They only extend about 3" up the wall. The rest is white paint. The tiles and cabinets are original to our home - built in 1959.
  • Ed
    hace 10 años
    Zero. Seamless merge with counter top. :)
  • alannah
    hace 10 años
    For myself I would only choose subway tile as it is timeless. I don't want something that dates itself, like the KISS principle Keep It Simple Sweetie!
  • chookchook2
    hace 10 años
    I never had to date myself, always had boyfriends.
  • dogmom5
    hace 10 años
    I don't have any tile in our kitchen anymore. We hardly have any wall space and have a Corian backsplash to match the counters. However I am very interested in doing something with tile above my stove. There is a fan there which is under a short cabinet. I think a design would look good in the square above the stove. Want to do something different and haven't decided what yet.
  • dogmom5
    hace 10 años
    Oh, I like the subway tiles the best. The herringbone is attractive too but only if it's not used on a lot of wall space.
  • PRO
    essentials inside
    hace 10 años
    Subway tile, but in the process of changing to glass.
    essentialsinside.com
  • easternhomebuilder
    hace 10 años
    no tile. wall behind stove painted. easy to clean up. builder recommended it, and he was right.
  • Debbie Thomas
    hace 10 años
    the tile I would like the best it the tile that would be the easiest work for my husband to do, lol
  • Jennifer Wilton
    hace 9 años
    I wish I could find a backsplash as easy as I found my husband.
  • n247080
    hace 9 años
    OLD POST October 2013
  • granny4ten
    hace 9 años
    Old post but it's making the rounds again. I like subway tiles and glass tiles above range.
  • granny4ten
    hace 9 años
    Glass above range.
  • Laurelle
    hace 9 años
    I have large diagonal but in my new home it will be glass subway tiles in a very soft barley there teal or grey/beige.
  • elefantenkitzle
    hace 9 años

This is a hard one – Much as I wanted to, I
    found it hard to choose any of these.

The Mirror tile gives the feel of having a ‘Stargate’
    portal in the kitchen – you feel an alien species might slip through any moment
    and abscond with your roast.

The Diagonal with the light grouting looks like a harlequin outfit
    not to mention it makes me dizzy...

And the Large Pattern takes it all a step further
    - this is no longer dizzy - this is high design LSD!

Then the Subway tile brings us back down,
    down, down. It is called subway tile for a reason – maybe it should be left
    where it came from.

The Herringbone is very stylish but so
    stylish that it leaves the rest of the kitchen behind as a sort of afterthought
    i.e. here comes ‘The Wall’……..................and company.

The Custom Mosaic idea has loads of
    potential for being the eye catch of the room but also just as much for failing because it can be too busy, too
    dated, or nail the room too firmly in one era or trend. This one shown is
    absolutely beautiful but somehow sits apart from its surroundings instead of tying it all
    together. I would be wary of such an emphatic design.

I cannot say what backsplash is the best but
    I do know it should enhance and bind the kitchen together tastefully, elegantly and tactfully, and not be a style
    element that hogs the spotlight all on its own. Pretty much as lipstick should enhance
    the entire make-up job and not have your lips walking down the road without
    you.

• Diana Holder
    hace 8 años
    Última modificación: hace 8 años

Saltillo floor, Talavera backsplash

• Diana Holder
    hace 8 años

• Diana Holder
    hace 8 años

The photos above are what I did to my kitchen with help from stone cutters and excellent tile layers. The painters were no slouches either. But I did do the plan for it, the materials used and colors.

• Jenny Harris
    hace 7 años

It depends on where in the kitchen you are putting it. I love the mosaic above the stove but everywhere else I love the subway tile.

• JoAnn
    hace 7 años
    I think overall I would go with the subway tile. It can be placed a number of ways, preferably in a neutral tone, as colors tend to go in and out of date rather quickly. But too, it depends on the house.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 7 años

I like patterns and colours in a white kitchen...forget subway tiles !

• Megan McGinnis
    hace 7 años
    The photo with the pale green subway tile was the inspiration for my kitchen reno. I love it and I love my kitchen too!
  • PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    hace 7 años

Love herringbone!

• mjkjrobinson
    hace 6 años

I really love tiles, I really love the tiles that have flowers!

• mjkjrobinson
    hace 6 años

Квартира с историей · Más información

• Usuario de Houzz-238128204
    hace 4 años

I love kitchen tile with a mirrors on the side! This is great!

• luamble2
    hace 4 años

Do you have a picture of kitchen design that have wall wrap?

• Esther Tropper
    hace 4 años

Subway

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.