Houzz Logo Print
mgarden

Update fireplace ideas

Mollie Garden
hace 10 años
I want to redo the mantle and brick. Should I paint the brick white? Looking for ideas. FYI. This is a wood burning fireplace and we use it a lot.

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    User
    hace 10 años
    Smash it all! Remove it and you could create a great floating fireplace with a clean fresh design aesthetic. Keep the antlers but I feel placing them in an organised grid pattern would have more impact.
  • solincia
    hace 10 años
    I actually really like the brick. What does the rest of the room look like? At the moment I think the issue is your eye looks everywhere when looking at this. You need a focal point. I'd remove all of the antlers, remove the items from the hearth, find a picture or mirror as a resting place for the eye, then reevaluate. At first glance, i would paint the mantle in a deep espresso, distressed ebony finish, not paint the brick.
  • leahcmorgan
    hace 10 años
    Love the brick! I'd leave it alone. It looks worn and has great character. I think the mantle would look great a dark gray or a blackish brown.
  • Melissa E
    hace 10 años
    I think your fireplace, brick and mantle are beautiful- what isn't working are all of those pair of antlers. They are overwhelming, it is just too much.
  • Angela
    hace 10 años
    Would not paint thst brick....its stunning!
  • PRO
    Creatively Yours Custom Inc.
    hace 10 años
    Could you take a picture of the rest of that room? I would like to see your style and your colors and then could make more specific recommendations. I was thinking of painting that fireplace wall in an accent color. I would change the mantle but again I am not sure of your colors or style.
  • Allison .
    hace 10 años
    I once painted my brick fireplace white, and loved it. If your fireplace has glass doors it will stay white. If it's an open fireplace or just a screen, the white will get smoky really quick.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Holy moly!
  • Rina
    hace 10 años
    Groveraxle, there you go again. Next time you're in Africa, dear, we must have a quiet little chat. Camomile tea, perhaps? (Love you to bits, really I do.)

However, the fireplace. The brick is lovely. Sorry, but give those antlers a decent burial and get rid of all the stuff. Depending on what's up in the rest of the room, perhaps paint the mantlepiece a dark colour. Hang art above it -- you might like something like these, from fineart.com. I like Groveraxle's dark candlesticks, too.
  • Rina
    hace 10 años
    PS, in the candlesticks, orange candles for fall, red for winter, light green for spring, white for summer? (This has nothing to do with repainting the fireplace but I can't see a fireplace without wanting to fiddle with the decoration.)
  • Zohreh Alaghemand
    hace 10 años
    I had the same issue when remodeling my house. I had a rather large fireplace but I changed the look by placing wood shelving around
  • PRO
    Amanda Immurs- painting and faux finishing
    hace 10 años
    try re-glazing the fireplace rather then painting it. that way you can get the colour and tones you need to match your design. painted brick can look flat.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.