Houzz Logo Print
sarabeth2

Old Desk Transformed

sarabeth2
hace 10 años
Using Russian Red color in the Paint Couture! line of paint. I transformed this old desk to a bright new piece of furniture. This desk had a plastic laminated top. So first I lightly sanded it before applying 2 coats of a dark gray tinted Zinsser Primer. 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of protective finish, in flat finish. See all photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99662836@N03/sets/72157636621929093/

Comentarios (34)

• sarabeth2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Red is not an easy color of paint to work with. But by priming it with a primer tinted dark gray, that helped. Still it takes several coats to get a good finished red color. I chose Russian Red made by the brand of paint called, "Paint Couture!". Website: http://paintcouture.com/
    I found it at a store in Raleigh, North Carolina, South of France Creative Furniture shop: http://www.southoffrancefurniture.com/
  • Brenda
    hace 10 años
    tuned out cute. nice job.
    sarabeth2 agradeció a Brenda
  • splagna
    hace 10 años
    Wow. Thanks for showing us - I've been thinking about painting some furniture for awhile.
    It's beautiful, the hardware looks better too. You must be exhausted.=0
    sarabeth2 agradeció a splagna
  • User
    hace 10 años
    I painted a chest red a few years back, it was tedious and time consuming. Something of this age looks better painted than in the original wood (of course my opinion!). Also makes it easier to work with the other woods in your home. You did a GREAT job!
    sarabeth2 agradeció a User
  • sarabeth2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    splagna- yes, I agree it did show off the silver hardware very nicely. It was an easy project to do. I could have 'glazed' it also, using a dark glaze and wiping it off, it would have shown up the contours of the legs and brought out the grain lines of the wood.
    Dytecture - the original had quite a few nicks and scratches through out the wood, and this painting hid them all. Thanks for your comments!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    hace 10 años
    I do like the red! Thanks for sharing . . .
    sarabeth2 agradeció a Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
  • bungalowmo
    hace 10 años
    Totally cute for totally cheap! Really like this. :0)
    sarabeth2 agradeció a bungalowmo
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful...love red furniture !
    sarabeth2 agradeció a Studio NOO Design
  • underedenx
    hace 10 años
    Luv the red!
  • sarabeth2
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks, underedenx - I purchased the Paint Couture, Russian Red at this shop in Cary, NC: www.southoffrancefurniture.com
  • PRO
    Hidden Charm
    hace 10 años
    Sarabeth... I use and carry the entire Paint Couture!™ collection and have this suggestion for the future. As you already know, red is a tough color to get a good opaque coverage with. Using a grey or tinted primer does help reduce coats, but I've found that using a yellow tone (such as our color Spanish sunrise) as a base coat under our Russian red it will cover much easier and with fewer coats.
    The desk looks fabulous, by the way!!!
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    hace 10 años
    Great color! Wonderful new look!
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    hace 10 años
    I do see a lot of nicks in the before. Very nice red, a lovely transformation.
  • Sharron Sinclair
    hace 10 años
    Really nice.
  • Samuel Benbow
    hace 10 años
    It has a new lease on life! The piece is nice, but it looked very dated before. Good job! Nice colour choice as well!
  • Louise Hockenson
    hace 10 años
    Really nice & Love the color.
  • Dixie Henrie
    hace 10 años
    Really attractive. How did you apply the paint.
  • Holly McCord
    hace 10 años
    Changing the legs on this piece would have given it a really updated look there is a disconnect between the new pulls and the style of the legs, but very nice job.
  • katfon
    hace 10 años
    I'd have thrown away the "before" piece as painting it wouldn't have crossed my mind. I consider it an almost impossible job to do. The new look is fantastic, it's like a completely different desk and I kindly disagree with the previous comment of changing the legs. Good job!
  • Ellen Martin
    hace 10 años
    What work did the desk require before you painted it for the paint to bond?
  • L O
    hace 10 años
    That looks awesome! Good job ;-)
  • Jeffrey Favreau
    hace 10 años
    Nice job but I have had great success with chalk paint!! It did not take me 8 coats of paint wow a lot of layers, my opinion but sure is less work my way!!!
  • inkwitch
    hace 10 años
    Love it! Turned out great! This inspires me to paint a tired-looking table.
  • PRO
    TeamZupko.com, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    How many quarts of paint to do this with 3 coats?
  • Bridget White
    hace 10 años
    Beautiful and a great inspirational piece for figuring out how to fit a functional sewing station in a very small space.
  • Margaret Heller
    hace 10 años
    Really? That was the best you could do?
  • Constance Koopman
    hace 10 años
    I have a desk similar I was thinking of getting rid of or transforming. Right now it is painted black. That's a lot of paint layers. It looks great though.
  • PRO
    Leichsenring Studios
    hace 10 años
    Love that you opted for the simple and sophisticated solution. Yes, you could have glazed it. There are dozens of things you could have done, but here, using restraint shows that sometimes that cleanest path is the most effective. Love the color choice.
  • dailypainter
    hace 10 años
    Transformed? I don't think so...
  • PRO
    Hidden Charm
    hace 10 años
    @janzupko I'm sure she barely used 1/4 of a quart.
  • PRO
    Leichsenring Studios
    hace 10 años
    Can't say it enough times. Transformation doesn't mean it has to be glazed, embossed, gilded, foiled, aged or distressed. Transformation can be subtle and sophisticated.
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    hace 10 años
    Love the red, very nice !
  • Patricia Miller
    hace 10 años
    I believe it is Ethan Allen furniture. The handles have been changed too.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.