Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Pavers on lanai patio--bad smell after rain...help...

loves2read
hace 10 años
We had the original patio/lanai concrete surface redone with pavers at our vacation house in FL this spring. The installation company did a horrible job with the patio work but good job with the driveway. We had them totally resand the lanai pavers which were the thinner remodeling style but there are still areas where the sanding between the seams is not even and there is spot on patio where water seems to stand vs run toward the drain...
One side of the drain doesn't really work--I ran water into it and never saw any come out that side into the drain area outside the pool cage.
Problem is that after some very heavy rains in Sept when we weren't there, we came back and there was horrible stink on the lanai. We couldn't spend any time on it until we had put vinegar (didn't have bleach in the house) in the drains and run water from the hose through it...
The rain obviously has stopped by then...but it took more than a day for the smell to go away so we could stay outside.
My question is could water be holding UNDER the pavers and turning stagnant?
There can be good bit of rain in our area and I don't know if we will have this problem in future...we can't really take up the pavers to check underneath w/o tearing up that part of the patio...
And the company that did the install I am sorry to say is pretty worthless...
This is example of how poorly they did the sanding...

Comentarios (2)

• Laurie Tillett
    hace 10 años
    Time to call the BBB, as well as calling the company back and demanding they re-do the job. take pictures and remind them that YOU can make or break a company....one unhappy customer is more important than 10 happy ones because the unhappy one will get their story spread a whole lot faster.
  • PRO
    Alford's English Gardens Inc
    hace 10 años
    Picture:My guess is the company didn't use the right kind of paver sand. We use one that has a stabilizer in it so when water is applied during the installation,turns solid and hardens. This helps to keep ants from pushing out the sand and excess walked into the house. Can't help you on the smell haven't ever come across that.
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.