Houzz Logo Print
vjdawson

Bringing this house out of the 90's

vjdawson
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 6 años

We have just purchased this house and will be painting in a few weeks as the first step to bring it out of the 90's. Any ideas, recommendations, links welcome!

Comentarios (112)

• rinked
    hace 10 años
    Paint all yellow first, I'd say white (not too stark though).

This way you'll have a nice clean start and once your stuff has moved in and you're starting to feel comfortable in there, you'll figure out what color has to go where.

I really like the woodwork, go with it, not against it. Paint should be the last option.
    But please do something about that kitchen, that shade of blue is the big 90s factor (and the rounded island). If possible, paint the cabinets (or new doors?) and replace the countertop, install a butcherblock island (charcoal and wood, for example). Glass doors in the high corner cabinet would look nice. And don't forget another backsplash, no more black and white diamond shapes..
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    A thick wood or stone (concrete?) countertop could also glue the blue to the house. Traditional/rustic handles will make it more homey too.
    Painting or replacing the doors would be my personal preference though.
    Richmond Terrace · Más información

Brooklyn Heights Addition · Más información

Colorful Kitchen · Más información

Kitchen View · Más información
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    Small changes, big difference.
    vjdawson agradeció a rinked
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow - what software are you both using?
  • Rina
    hace 10 años
    Good morning from here. I think a charcoal sofa would be perfection itself. Even if you didn't have a two-year-old. As I'm losing the battle for the Preservation of the
    Blue Kitchen, I think, I do want to comment that the treatment that might work best for the kitchen too is the one posted by Lydia way above, the grey/charcoal/white scheme -- sans the patterned tiles. If you think that's it's a bit monotonous to have both rooms in the same scheme, don't forget you can introduce variation in accent colours.

I don't have the right software (eg Photoshop), so I just use the Paint I've had for years. It's a bit fiddly and slow, so if you're looking to get something yourself I'd say get something more sophisticated.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi Lydia - I just showed my husband the kitchen you posted and he also loves it!
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Rina - charcoal it is! I have a mac and can't seem to find paint. Such a good idea! You have helped so much :)
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Next challenge - any thoughts on the dining room? It is wider and shorter than it looks in this photo and the doors at the end open to a balcony with views of the sea.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I was wondering about something like this -
    Old Westbury Neoclassical · Más información
  • Rina
    hace 10 años
    Oh, my yes. That is so nice, and it would flow beautifully from the living room. For once my urge to fiddle doesn't arise. I especially like the light natural wood table top, it's a colour that goes so perfectly with greys And the black base grounds it well. Great if you could get a light fitting like that, too. And what a view you have there. You are being smiled upon with this house, I think. So no further comment from me, just approval.

Paint is a Microsoft thing. Any Mac users out there that have software advice?
  • Rina
    hace 10 años
    And PS, if you got a table like that, and gave the kitchen cabinets the grey-and-wood treatment in Lydia's posting, they would echo each other.
  • themoxie
    hace 10 años
    I have a Mac and use photoshop. It's pretty quick and easy once you get the hang of it!
  • themoxie
    hace 10 años
    Oh, I'd definitely paint the wood in the living room, the room has lots of nooks and crannies (read: character!) already. I think the wood on the walls make it all too busy. I really like the industrial/rustic look too, and a charcoal sofa - divine! You can definitely marry wood and greys, a lovely combo.
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    Gimp is free.
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    That sure is a lot of paneling, would it be possible to remove it in the livingroom? The dining looks quite good (only the baseboards could use some darker stain), but I understand you want to paint it.

Consider all options before painting though, especially if the rooms are connected. You could, for example, leave all door&window frames natural wood, so you won't have to paint the entire house.
    My Houzz: Antiques Mingle With Modern Style in a 1920s Tudor · Más información

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-terrific-paint-color-matches-for-wood-details-stsetivw-vs~9025200
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 10 años
    vjdawson: it looks like you have a beautiful mountain view. What geographical area are you located in? Snow or no snow in winter?
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    We arein New Zealand located overlooking the ocean
  • themoxie
    hace 10 años
    I knew it. That look is sooo '90's NZ!
  • apple_pie_order
    hace 10 años
    New Zealand has such interesting geology. Is the wood panelling and flooring from trees native to NZ?
  • Sam Dewick
    hace 10 años
    Oh boy. The colors aren't doing it for me. The wall in my opinion needs to be white instead and the cabinets a dark color--something like cherry. a color scheme like this wuould be better. Replace the chairs as well! Black chairs please. https://www.houzz.com/discussions/cabinet-color-brand-dsvw-vd~352308
  • Rina
    hace 10 años
    Glass Tile Store, with intervening comments it's quite hard to work out what some comments refer to. Which colours are you referring to? The black-white-grey inspiration pic that Vjdawson posted? There aren't any cabinets in it ... would you paint the top of the wall and the pine in white (an option discussed for the living room above), and add dark wood table and possible cabinets, and black chairs?

Vjdawson -- if you do follow your inspiration pic, I think it'd be better to have the black area in charcoal; the black is too harsh for the feeling you're getting in the other rooms. There, had to fiddle anyway. Good night from me, good morning to you when you wake up.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you everyone! Any thoughts on the bedroom? There is a 30% discount on paint if I buy this month...
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    P.S the paint above the panels has faded a lot since this photo and will need to be repainted. Same questions apply - paint panels or no? What color for above the panels?
  • rinked
    hace 10 años
    Tell me your thoughts on this one:
  • PRO
    Suzanne Powers
    hace 10 años
    I like your idea vjdawson of painting the panels white, it would give texture and goes well with greys, a grey kitchen and an eclectic theme with the wood floor unifying all the living spaces.

I like the charcoal grey with the white panels and white accents in the dining room, gives an updated classic look. Brightening the room with a warm color the orange goes with the warm brown paneling. I would add contrasting whites like your picture to brighten and give a contemporary feel.
  • PRO
    Suzanne Powers
    hace 10 años
    Here is another take on the orange with grey added:
  • PRO
    Suzanne Powers
    hace 10 años
    And another view of orange:
  • Judy M
    hace 10 años
    What colors for your bedroom do
    You prefer?

http://houzz.com/photos/1419030
  • Judy M
    hace 10 años
    Grass cloth wallpaper above wainscot.
    http://houzz.com/photos/1133298
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    For the paneling paint it the same shade of white wherever there is some! This will unify and update the whole house. Is that your bedroom furniture? If you're painting the kitchen charcoal then I suggest carrying that concept in the bedroom with a colour from the same family. These blues have grey undertones. You could go darker or lighter.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks everyone! All colours up for discussion. I did like Judys second one
  • svford
    hace 10 años
    Leave the ceilings and floor, change the light fittings, paint the cupboards a white, change benchtop to stone or similar.
  • svford
    hace 10 años
    Also perhaps wooden blinds or roman blinds
  • Judy M
    hace 10 años
    I'm Very fond of grass cloth
    :) very neutral but adds texture.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you everyone for all the help so far. I'm still a bit stuck on the bedroom. I think we will paint the panels a warm white but still am not sure what color to paint the wall above them. Judy's grass cloth is an interesting idea and I'll try to find some to see what it could look like.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi Everyone - we move into our house this week. We have decided to live in it for a month before we paint to make sure we make the right choices :). May post a few more questions and photos....
  • PRO
    Craft Art Elegant Surfaces
    hace 10 años
    I had so much fun reading your thread that I wanted to comment and throw another blue kitchen and wood ceiling (beams, anyway) with butcher block countertops photo into the mix! Excited to see what you guys go with.
  • PRO
    Tile Circle
    hace 10 años
    Wow! You have so much to think about but thought I'd share a fun kitchen with you that one of our clients did with the exposed beams. Everyone loved it!
    http://www.tilecircle.com/mother-of-pearl-collection/product63.html
  • svford
    hace 10 años
    Paint cupboards white, new light speckled stone benchtop, new door knobs or handles,wooden blinds at windows, maybe whitewash ceilings, leave floors.
  • Kari D
    hace 10 años
    The nineties rocked! Headbanger at heart here, lol! Anyway, I like the blue. I love rooms that aren't neutrals upon neutrals. I would go with a warm white to balance the cool blue. At least temporarily.
  • Kari D
    hace 10 años
    Love Craft Art Elegant Surfaces' photo. The blue cabinets with the butcherblock is nice. I'd do a smokier blue on the cabinets, though.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hi everyone, we have moved in! We didn't manage to paint before we moved and think we will go for a staged approach - above the wood panels first in a warm white then decide on the panels.

I'm having a bit of trouble working out what kind of sofa to buy and how at arrange the lounge. All furniture except coffee table temporary in photos and would love some ideas!
  • vjdawson agradeció a User
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Wow - wall paper that style could be amazing in the dining room!
  • PRO
    CertaPro Painters of North San Diego
    hace 10 años
    My professional "Gut Reaction" would be: Paint all of the blue cabinets, (Full-Prime) and 2 coats of Pro Classic Latex Enamel (Semi-Gloss/Gloss Sheen), Color match wood trim on kitchen windows to match the color of the "Re-Painted Cabinets", then utilize many of the great ideas above. Good Luck and Happy Holidays to All..
    vjdawson agradeció a CertaPro Painters of North San Diego
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks! any ideas on what kind of sofa would suit and how to lay out the lounge? I'm not sure if the focal point should be the fireplace or the doors that lead out to the courtyard. I'm also not sure about the positioning of the TV and wondering if the coffee table is too big for the space.
  • PRO
    LEICHT New York
    hace 10 años
    If you're in the area and are looking to redo your kitchen or parts of it you can check out our free class every 2nd saturday of the month: http://leichtnewyork.com/how-much-will-your-kitchen-cost-class-registration

All the best! There are some great suggestions mentioned above.
  • vjdawson
    Autor original
    hace 9 años
    Hi everyone, its taken a while but here is an update decorating to date. We are now looking at buying thermal curtains for the lounge, kitchen and dining room (we also need to finish painting here...) and Id love some advice on colours and types. Thanks!!
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.