Houzz Logo Print
austennut

Need help designing an outdoor lighting scheme

austennut
hace 10 años
We would like to add lighting to our house, particularly by the stairs to make it safer for visitors at night. I would also like to have the address numbers lighted (either by having a spotlight or downlight on the numbers or getting a new set, like these http://www.lightinguniverse.com/address-lights/sea-gull-lighting-9600-26-address-light_g11379.html?isku=271429?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName ).

We live in the upper part of the house, but the basement is rented out. I've come up with a few different options, but am really kind of floundering here and would love others' insights and input.

1) Put some post lights (maybe like these http://www.lightingdirect.com/nuvo-lighting-60-4908-adams-single-light-post-lantern-finished-in-rustic-bronze-with-frosted-glass-panels/p1999088 ) on the caps of the stairs. Use 6 (1 on either side) or 3 (1 on alternating caps), or...? Then put a downlight on the house numbers (currently on the white columns on the right side).

2) Put a downlight on the columns on both sides of the house, highlighting that architectural feature while keeping it rather symmetrical looking. Add house numbers for the rental unit on the lower left hand side. Maybe do strip lighting for the stairs, or 2 or 3 post lights (all on the right hand side of the stairs)?

3) Put a spotlight in the tree (either between the sidewalk and the street, or in the trees directly by the stairs) and have it pointing downwards, plus lighted address numbers (maybe centered on the top of the porch).

Or do we do a combination of post lights, strip lighting, tree lighting... Grrr! Help would be greatly appreciated!

Comentarios (6)

• PRO
    Lights Online
    hace 10 años
    You have some really great ideas for outdoor lighting! Many people neglect to illuminate the outside of their home, even though it can help a nice house like yours look even better and improve safety.

Point number 1 is a really good one for safety's sake. It seems like there isn't a lot of light around those stairs when it gets dark, which could be bad for people trying to get home! Perhaps just one light on each side could provide enough illumination to help people see.

But point number 2 is also good--outdoor lighting can be used to highlight interesting features of the home.

Do add numbers for the rental unit so people can clearly see where it is. Lighting the home number is also a good idea.

We have some great guides to outdoor lighting along with a huge selection of lights. Start here: http://www.lightsonline.com/how-to-plan-your-outdoor-lighting/
    austennut agradeció a Lights Online
  • PRO
    Night Light, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    3rd image
    austennut agradeció a Night Light, Inc.
  • austennut
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thank you very much for the feedback. In terms of path lighting, most of what I have found is the kind that you stick in the ground. Since these are concrete and brick steps/surrounds, is there a way to get the path lighting to work with that? Or do I need to find a different type of lighting altogether for that part?
  • PRO
    Night Light, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    There are integral light fixtures that are especially made to be mounted on stair risers, columns and posts. Ideally the wiring and mounting is done while the structures are being built so that the wires don't show. Look up landscape lighting fixtures on the web to find some.

Perhaps a downlight in the tree or downlights in your eaves may be a good solution. Attached is an image from the web of the type of fixture I'm talking about, as well as an image from the web as to the lighting effect of downlighting from the eaves. These are just illustrative examples, not our work and not endorsing any particular fixture.
    austennut agradeció a Night Light, Inc.
  • PRO
    Olson Weaver Lighting Design and Install
    hace 6 años

In this application I would emphasize the steps, primarily to make the entryway safer and more inviting, and the address. Down the road you could potentially uplight the tree on the right, but I would also look for another (possibly a new tree) on the left to highlight to balance the design. The best way to light the steps would be to use solid brass puck fixtures on both sides of each wall on the stairwell. Hadco offers a decent product that would work. I would use 2 (one on either side) for the lower set of steps, and 4 for the upper set of steps. To install, drill through the wall with an 18inch hammerdrill bit (if you angle it, you may be able to bring the wire directly into the landscape bed).

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.