Houzz Logo Print
marymack34

Tall deck needs skirting/design ideas

marymack34
hace 10 años
I recently purchased a home with a nice deck. However, it is very high off of the ground and from the backyard looks goofy and downright ugly. Any ideas for deck skirting, landscaping...

Comentarios (21)

• PRO
    Bohnhoff Woodworking
    hace 10 años
    This is a common issue in beach environments checkout what people do along the coast you might gain some nice outdoor storage and add a decorative element to your backyard. Look to beach rentals or beach vacation for inspiration. This should be a fairly easy fix if you are some what handy and have some basic tools.
  • marymack34
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    trnorman: Other than maybe a small area for storage, I will not be using this space at all!
  • PRO
    Alexander Interior Design
    hace 10 años
    I would paint or stain the wood of your deck white. I would eliminate the "x" and replace w a simple pole. I would complete with a patio below as large as you can make it with a stone material. Furnish deck with an umbrella table and chairs. Perhaps even a bar with bar stools. On patio furnish w an outdoor couch and ottoman, chairs,etc. U may want to also consider a permanent cloth awning or extend the roof over the deck. You can also use outdoor fabric for panels on deck and patio for elegance and/or privacy.
  • Cindy Quinton
    hace 10 años
    It is hard to tell, is it tall enough from under the space to use? Tall enough to walk around under it? If so, I say you finish it out at least as a storage space and enclose it. Or...do you have concerns about restricting any natural light from coming in the small window under there?
  • Steve Grimes
    hace 10 años
    Sunroom and deck, Wayne, Pennsylvania · Más información

Clinton & Associates | Landscape Architects in Washington DC, Maryland, and Virg · Más información

JacksonBuilt Custom Homes · Más información
  • shead
    hace 10 años
    Depending on your budget, there are several options......I'm looking into it myself because all my porches are elevated and have ugly (i.e., poorly designed and executed) lattice skirting. If you go with a lattice, which is probably your least expensive alternative, frame it in a lighter color, like this photo shows, and stain/paint the actual lattice dark. One designer suggested this to me because she says your eye will be naturally drawn to the lighter color and the dark lattice will fade to the background.

• PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    hace 10 años
    I love the Clinton & Associates photo that Steve Grimes posted for two reasons...panel style and use of plantings. There are off-the-shelf fence panels that offer similar styling that can be placed between your posts. Then put plantings such as euonymus around the perimeter to reduce the visual height of the lower area.
  • samsamyd
    hace 10 años
    Yes for paneling if you want the deck space somewhat enclosed. Just vines and plantings if you want the under part ot be a hidden play or shady retreat ... as was said originally, depends how you want to use the space. Got time, want to get crazy,...try a full sized horse topiary on a rotating plaform -- a couple of them, to make a stable....
  • trnorman
    hace 10 años
    Is this possible? It could add extra seating
  • leelee
    hace 10 años
    I think good old lattice is the way to go. Cover all sides with lattice but leave room for a door so you can access that space--great for storing stuff like wheelbarrow, garden hose, etc.
  • leelee
    hace 10 años
    You might consider adding an partial awning over the top of the deck.
  • Zan
    hace 10 años
    I would take the entire deck down and reuse it on the ground. You can even reuse the stairs to run from the door down if the wood is in good condition. The deck is so high off the ground that there will be so much lattice showing and will not in my opinion, look balanced. If you don't need the space under the deck for storage then I would get rid of it by bringing down to the ground. Once on the ground you can do some landscaping around it to enhance the space.
  • Judy M
    hace 10 años
    Remove the deck? Then you have to carry food, drinks etc down a full flight of stairs.

I agree with the lattice suggestions and would add a suggestion to add risers to your stairs, it makes them look more finished.
  • PRO
    Donna Denney, Independent Interior Designer
    hace 10 años
    From looking at the photos, you could use some concealed storage. I would paint or do an opaque white stain on the deck and supports, remove the crossbars and install darker painted square lattice (more pleasing to the eye than harlequin lattice). Then add some nice evergreen plantings around the perimeter. Definitely add risers to your stairs, and also put the same railing on the hand rails as the deck. Liners are also available to go under the flooring of above deck itself to keep stored items more dry.
  • marymack34
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks for all of these terrific ideas! Unfortunately, it is not high enough to walk under, but might work for some storage. I did think about tearing it down or making the deck two levels. I love the suggestion to use square lattice in a darker color!
  • Keitha
    hace 10 años
    Love the storage doors that Steve Grimes posted in the Clinton & Associates pic.
  • Zan
    hace 10 años
    Here is a pic of my own backyard. We have two decks. One we kept in place and added the lattice and a gazebo, the other we tore down and rebuilt about two feet off the ground just at the basement window line.
    I personally think that unless you are entertaining and eating meals on a regular basis outside that the stair climbing is not a big issue. If you are in need of a total knee replacement then maybe the idea is as ridiculous as some people would have you believe! ;)
  • Judy M
    hace 10 años
    I do have a bad knee so I guess that's why I dislike going down a flight of stairs carrying things.
    :(
  • Moh'd Ali
    hace 10 años
    Nice place add flower plant around the broundry wall and house wall put parking tiles where walking area and ply ground for children
  • PRO
    Moonlight Decks LLC
    hace 10 años
    For the cost, I'd just do some lattice and some type of plants or vines that do well in the shade. Maybe put some lighting up top to make the deck more usable and safe at night.
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.