Houzz Logo Print
ebunim

Mold under transom window. From where?

notnyc
el último año

We recently moved into this house, and our inspection report noted that our transom windows should be replaced because the glass panes had become cloudy. Just about a month ago we had the transoms replaced, but today we looked up and saw mold.

Im pretty sure this didnt happen over the last month, but is it safe to assume since we replaced the transoms this should no longer be a problem? I guess the seals were broken.

Is there something else that should be checked?

The window company replacing the transoms didnt mention anything to us.

Comentarios (9)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    el último año

True divided lites...expensive. Typically, as a representative sample, if you start having several failures in a given window, more are coming down the pike. That said, there is nothing you can really do to cut off the failures at the pass.

• millworkman
    el último año

They replaced just the transoms? Frame and all? How are they flashed? You have water leaking in. Take a better pic from the exterior and maybe we may see something but probably need to remove the siding and the interior finishes and reinstall the windows with the flashing correctly installed.

• notnyc
    Autor original
    el último año

This is a photo from the exterior

• notnyc
    Autor original
    el último año

From a roofing/gutters standpoint, I dont think I have a drip edge. This whole area is kind of flat and theres not much to divert water away from the windows and house. Thoughts?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    el último año

Hard to tell by the pics, the fascia board on top of the siding is interesting.

The transoms can still be be problem, did they replace just the glass or the window sash? They may have solved one problem and created another.

The problem could start at the roof exposing flaws in the flashing, it could ne just the flashing or the transom itself. kind of hard to tell by the pics.

notnyc agradeció a toddinmn
  • notnyc
    Autor original
    el último año

I’m new to window terminology, but I am pretty sure they replaced the whole sash. It was replaced barely two months ago and with this amount of wood rot, this had to have happened with the old transoms.

what do you mean could start at the roof? Because there is no overhang?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    el último año

I meant the roof since water goes down , probaly not the cause though. Could be the flasing or lack of since water will get behind the siding . Might also be the window or how they insalled it. Pretty hard to decipher from the pics.

• cat_ky
    el último año

Seems the old ones needed to be replaced for a reason, and now the new ones are also getting damaged. That water had to be coming in there for quite a while, and thats why the others had to be replaced. The water intrusion problem wasnt fixed, so water is still coming in just like it did before. Call, a good window company, and have them come out and see if it needs sealing anywhere. If all is good there, then someone needs to inspect higher up.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.