Houzz Logo Print
webuser_6041900

Does a bumped out window need its own roof?

Beth Schmidt
el último año

I am in the process of a home addition, I had requested a small roof over the window initially but my contractor said that he would bring the roofline out to cover it. Initially that sounded fine to me but upon looking at the nearly complete product I’m concerned that there’s not enough coverage for the window. I think it should have its own roof in addition. Am I being too nervous about this? I’m concerned that it will end up having water issues.

Comentarios (10)

• Beth Schmidt
    Autor original
    el último año

Here is what I had shown my contractor initially. And additional photos of the boxed out window.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    el último año

A flat trim detail that is integrate the roof edge and effectively "shingled" into the water management should be fine. Obviously there will be a gutter on this addition.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    el último año

If it were my design, I would have wanted to extend the roof above to extend out to create an overhang over the bumped out window. This would aid in waterproofing, help keep the window clean on the exterior, perhaps offer shade from the sun, and look better.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    el último año

The window is completely under the projection of the soffit and should work fine, although it looks like the flashing and house wrap installation details aren't right.

• worthy
    el último año

looks like the flashing and house wrap installation details aren't right.

Like flashing windows with micro-perforated housewrap.

• PRO
    PPF.
    el último año

Agree with those above. I would have done something similar to this.

• res2architect
    el último año
    Última modificación: el último año

It appears that extending the roof might have required one or two additional downspouts and perhaps a drywell or drain under the pavers. IMO you're better off keeping the roof configuration and payig more attention to the flashing.

Will the cladding on the front and sides be Azek panels rather than siding? If so, that might reduce the potential for water intrusion characteristic of low grade (house brand) perforated plastic house wrap. It would have been better to cover the entire bump-out with a self-adhering flexible flashing. Of course, it would also have been better to use Tyvek.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    el último año

What you had shown your contractor initially has a larger roof overhang above the window than what appears the builder built above the new boxed out window. I could be wrong, it is not totally clear in the images.

• Mrs Pete
    el último año

I was going to search for a picture similar to what Beth showed you. That's what I'd want.

• res2architect
    el último año

Just walked by this:

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.