Houzz Logo Print
christine_hyun3137

Crown moulding too close to the top of the window trim?

Chris 802
hace 2 años

Our builder is doing trim mock-ups for us right now. The style of the house is modern barn on the exterior, but we are not going hyper modern on everything inside because we like a mix.

Does this crown moulding look too close to the top of the window trim, or is this normal? The wall is 10 ft tall, baseboard is 8”, current crown is 6.5”.

Thanks!

Comentarios (18)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    hace 2 años

I am not familiar with "modern barn", but if you "like a mix" you're heading in that direction.

Chris 802 agradeció a Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Anna Devane
    hace 2 años

I also am not familiar with that term but looking at the window trim I would say the crown is too overpowering.

Chris 802 agradeció a Anna Devane
  • Timi M
    hace 2 años

Suggest narrower crown molding.

Chris 802 agradeció a Timi M
  • KW PNW Z8
    hace 2 años

I think there’s meant to be a ratio of crown size to baseboard size - large baseboard / large crown & of course ceiling height factors in too. That 6.5” crown doesn’t seem too wide with the 8” base & generous window trim too but it does strike me as very plain. I can’t see any fluting / bevel or embellishment except that it does have a slight curve. Maybe you could think about window treatments you might want to install - if they’re not inside mounted on windows, will there be room between window top molding & crown? I’d want to see what 5” crown looks like too.

Chris 802 agradeció a KW PNW Z8
  • PRO
    Cawood Architecture, PLLC
    hace 2 años

I would suggest, if budget allows, to use two pieces of trim-a smaller cove moulding (3" or so) with a simple square trim aligned with the top of the window backband-its an elegant look that gives height and substance without excessive weight-I am attaching a very heavy example, but something far simpler could match your look and be less typical solution, without drastically larger expense.

Chris 802 agradeció a Cawood Architecture, PLLC
  • J Sk
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

I agree with @Anna Devane, that the the crown looks too "heavy" next to window casing.

Chris 802 agradeció a J Sk
  • PRO
    PPF.
    hace 2 años

This shows a 3" crown, and a window with a stool and apron.

With a 10' ceiling, I guessed your window head height is 9'.

Chris 802 agradeció a PPF.
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

Crown mold, decolatage, and chandeliers are never too big.

Chris 802 agradeció a Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • cpartist
    hace 2 años

Is that door 9' tall?

Also why is the window not flush with the wall?

Chris 802 agradeció a cpartist
  • strategery
    hace 2 años

Barn & Crown. That's a mix, but it sounds like a great pub.

BTW, you can easily add that crown later after you see the barn completed.

Chris 802 agradeció a strategery
  • Chris 802
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you all for your input! We are asking to go lighter on the crowns.

This is an example of what our builders call modern barn (not our house, just an example of the style we've been seeing).

Most rooms won't receive a crown except those with no other treatment on ceilings or walls at all.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 2 años

We find the height of base and crown that are most pleasing to the eye are the ones derived from classical proportions. For a 10' ceiling height, we would use 6 3/4" base and single-member cove or crown with a vertical projection of 4"

Marianne Cusato's book "Getting Your House Right" is an excellent reference for moulding sizes--and lot's of other stuff, too.

Chris 802 agradeció a Charles Ross Homes
  • res2architect
    hace 2 años

Formal classical crown molding is neither modern nor associated with barns. And this molding is a cove and much too large for the ceiling height.

Chris 802 agradeció a res2architect
  • PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    hace 2 años

"Formal classical crown molding is neither modern nor associated with barns."

Agreed. Nor was it a typical feature of American farm houses except those of the elite.

Chris 802 agradeció a Charles Ross Homes
  • Angel 18432
    hace 2 años

Yes, too top heavy.

• Chris 802
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you all! We will go much lighter if we use them and in most rooms, not use crowns at all.

An example of a home both rustic and (gasp) still crowns in some rooms…sometimes thinking outside the box doesn’t hurt.

• Karen
    hace 2 años

I think you are safe in your decision to back off on the crown. I think what is throwing me is the high window headers don’t put enough separation between the crown and windows tops.

Chris 802 agradeció a Karen
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.