Houzz Logo Print
webuser_753877679

Kitchen/ dining area design advice

Hi,
I'm trying to decide between the following 2 layouts attached.
Any help or suggestions will be welcome.

Comentarios (39)

• Usuario de Houzz-753877679
    Autor original
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Design attached

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

The 'L' shape with island visually connects the kitchen, when you come up the stairs you will view the entire open concept of Kitch/Din/Liv together.

The 'peninsula,' dead space, and backs turned visually segregates the kitchen to its own area.

Usuario de Houzz-753877679 agradeció a 3onthetree
  • kandrewspa
    hace 2 años

In the first one with the island, how much space is there between the island and the refrigerator? Should be at least 48". Imagine bending over to get something out of the bottom with the freezer open (assuming French door refrigerator/freezer).

Usuario de Houzz-753877679 agradeció a kandrewspa
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• Deb Howell
    hace 2 años

Take out the bathroom opening into kitchen

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

What the heck is a wet and dry kitchen ? No bathroom off the kitchen ever .

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• loobab
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

What is a wet kitchen and a dry kitchen and what do you do in each one?

I have heard of people having a second kitchen for smoky/smelly things, is that what this is?

Also, I can't tell what things you have in each.

I don't think it bad to have a powder room near the kitchen.

One (whether it is the homeowner or the household help) spends a lot of time in the kitchen and when nature calls it is good to have the facilities nearby. Especially if someone is pregnant or older, or when you have children.

Also, sometimes I want to discard soft foodstuffs down the toilet and I don't want to walk across the house with it in case I drop it, so that is another reason a toilet is convenient. I try to put as little as possible down the sink disposal and food in the garbage is not great either.

What is the purpose of the outdoor balcony? It seems very small, too small even for a table.

What are the dimensions of your lift? (In the United States, we call it an elevator.) Whether it is for the regular use of the household occupants now or for your future use as you get older, I would have it be large enough for a wheelchair to totally turn around plus two additional occupants. Maybe even large enough for a stretcher plus two occupants. Sorry if that sounds morbid, but if you are going to plan for people that can not take the stairs, you might as well plan well.

And along those lines, should the bathroom near the kitchen be able to accommodate a wheelchair?

Usuario de Houzz-753877679 agradeció a loobab
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I would like to explain the dry / wet kitchen idea. The wet kitchen is where the everyday cooking is done and where the usual kitchen stuff are left on the counters.

The dry kitchen is more like a show/ entertainment kitchen. Stuff found there will be fridge, induction stove, wine chiller, liquor cabinet, ovens. This is the place where people can bake cakes together, do pastries, mix cocktails, show off bartending, barista skills, etc. All appliances are built in and the counter tops and island will be clear of stuff. Guests can use this kitchen also.

The balcony beside the wet kitchen is meant as a yard. For part pails, mops, and garbage. It is designed to be open to promote ventilation and allow odours from cooking to dissipate.

Powder room location is not ideal but was the only space left after some other considerations.

• loobab
    hace 2 años

Thank you for explaining.

Although I don't understand it.

That is, I understand what you said, but for me it would not work.

Either I let people in my underwear drawer or I don't.

OK, not the best analogy.

Actually, it is rather apt.

If you do the cooking (as opposed to your household help) people are learning a lot about you.

You either want them to know all and let them in there or you don't.

I don't, and I don't like the whole open concept thing either.

Some people are fine with it and do like the whole open concept thing and are happy with their guests wandering in and out of the kitchen while they are getting their meal ready and clearing and cleaning and back and forth from the kitchen to the dining room.

That is the diametric opposite from who I am, but hey, different strokes for different folks, and I do understand how it works for people who like that. I'm just not that loosey-goosey.

What I really don't get is your set up.

It's like saying, Here's this room where I really cook, it's a heck of a mess and you can't go in there.

Here's another room where I do a little bit of show-off cooking and you can come in here and we can pretend that I'm neat and fancy.

But don't even think of going back there.

In my mind, it's like wearing falsies but everyone knows that you are wearing falsies and when you take them off, which you will have to eventually, everyone knows there's no there there.

You learn new things every day, and this is a new one on me.

Well, if the wet kitchen is the messy one, I would put a door on it, but not a regular one and not a pocket door, a swinging one with a brass plate like they use in England so one can push it open with your hip if you are carrying a tray, and even if you are using your hand you won't mar the paint finish.

• lucky998877
    hace 2 años

I think that "2 kitchens" can work in a large home, but yours is quite narrow. I would combine them into 1 space and allow the light to flow through. The powder room placement is bad...none of your guests will want to use it...it's basically inside your "show/entertaining kitchen". If you combine your kitchens, maybe you can tuck the powder room into a back corner.

Usuario de Houzz-753877679 agradeció a lucky998877
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 2 años

Where is this home? Is it custom? Is it a townhome or single family dwelling?

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 2 años

You can’t just say bump and not answer anyone. No one will help you turn.

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 2 años

Again no one is commenting because you just keep posting bump and not contributing anything to the discussion and post. That’s not how this works.

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

Autor original
    hace 2 años

I sure hope that you treat your customers better than your replies here.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    hace 2 años

bump

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    hace 2 años

To answer your question, neither is a good design.

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    hace 2 años

I have a small townhouse and the powder room is in the middle of the pathway from the front door (living room) and kitchen. It's small and the builder just dumped it where it fit. Both of your designs have enough room for two kitchens! And is that an elevator? With all that space, find another spot for that bathroom or, at the very least, make sure it opens to anywhere else but the kitchen.

Usuario de Houzz-753877679 agradeció a Marguerite Mastromatto
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

It is an elevator at the side. Agree that powder room location is not ideal. Will see how that can be moved.

• Candace
    hace 2 años

I agree with Lucky - move that powder room! How embarrassing is it to have to use it when people are standing 6 feet away?

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 2 años

Original poster perhaps answer some questions people have posed and share more to get more input. As I suggested before help comes when you have a back and forth not just demand bump and answers

Autor original
    hace 2 años

@WestCoast Hopeful; you seem like a goodwill poster so I would like to explain that there is no demand for comments. All are free to post or not post as they deem fit. As for your questions, I must

regret to say that l'm currently not prepared to share more details at this time.

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

"As for your questions, I must regret to say that l'm currently not prepared to share more details at this time."

This sounds like a statement released by the spokesperson of a politician who spent a drunken night involving some streaking, some camels, some "paid" company, and passing out at the drive-thru of an In-N-Out burger joint.

Autor original
    hace 2 años

😜

• WestCoast Hopeful
    hace 2 años

Wow. Good luck you are going to need it

• loobab
    hace 2 años

Maybe the fancy, "for show" kitchen is for a demonstration kitchen, such as a cooking teacher might use, or a YouTube chef, etc, or someone that hires a chef to cater his or her parties and want a place in which to dazzles his or her guests.

In any event, we are all entitled to be anonymous here and reveal as much as or as little of ourselves as we want here, realizing of course, that the less we reveal about our needs and wants, the less help we receive.

Not out of any meanness of spirit of course, but it's like going to any professional, they can't provide the best and most complete advice without knowing the

complete situation.

As a bona fide oldie (but goodie) the more bathrooms around, the better, and if that is the only place for it, fine. As I said earlier, it is nicer if the door doesn't open on the view of the toilet. Another thing some of you Houzzers may not have thought of, this whole set-up may be outside of the U.S.A., your first clue should have been the "outdoor room" for mops, etc.

Well, maybe wherever this is, they prefer the "help" to use a separate washroom.

We just can't know the exigencies of everyone's situation, and the world is a very big place full of situations we may have yet not encountered.

Autor original
    hace 2 años

A well intentioned post. Thank you.

Autor original
    hace 2 años

Bump

• Jacqueline Amidala
    hace 2 años

If the point of the dry kitchen is entertaing while you cook it makes most sense to cook facing your guests. Like a cooking show. As a guest in your home I’d enjoy that! Of the two plans the one where you’d be foward facing seems best for entertaining.

Usuario de Houzz-753877679 agradeció a Jacqueline Amidala
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.