Houzz Logo Print
teeg00

Front of house help. Removing sliding door.

teeg00
hace 2 años

Hi, calling on ideas again. I have made some small improvements to the front of my house and I am now renovating the room behind the sliding door to the left. The previous owners converted the garage and inside is a lovely big room that comes off the main living area. The door never gets used and is an eyesore. I also feel it's a security issue. I wish to convert it to make a main bedroom. I would like to remove the sliding door and ideally, if I can find matching bricks I will brick up the bottom section and put in a window, however it may look a bit funny as it's lower than the other windows. I am looking for suggestions though for other options on what I could do here. The front of the area serves as the driveway so I don't want to make it a courtyard or anything utilising the sliding door as there wouldn't be enough space.
I am considering other materials to wall up too like cladding etc, however I feel that that would then need to be implemented else where at the front to tie it all in. The room only has one small window to the left as other walls are internal so I would need to retain some light hence not bricking it up entirely. I am looking for the most cost effective but practical, pleasing options.

Comentarios (14)

• me me
    hace 2 años

You could replace it with a window that has fixed glass at the bottom and sliders on the top part.

• oklouise
    hace 2 años

easiest option is to replace the sliding door with windows with lower glass panels like me me says but i would consult a carpenter and bricklayer about removing the sliding door and the top rows of bricks and use the bricks to install a lower wall but you will also needs to finish off the new wall inside...like you say, matching the top of the new window to exiting will make it look less like an afterthought and it looks like you have a matching brick fence if you to find a few extra bricks and the sacrificed bricks could be replaced with a darker coloured brick to match your gutters

• C P
    hace 2 años

I would also seriously consider removing the part of the driveway which extends beyond the path. I can't imagine you choose to park your car that far up. It really makesit look like a converted garage with the drive extending to the house that way.

• Julie Herbert
    hace 2 años

Have you thought of attaching a timber or metal screen over windows, this could be a vertical timber or a decorative metal piece, in the same dark colour as your trims, this would add security, look fabulous inside with the light giving a great ambiance to the room and a very stylish modern look to the exterior, it’s a feature on its own so you wouldn’t need to add it anywhere else.

• teeg00
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks for your help so far.. I have had some chats with the builder, he said it's not prefarable to remove the top section and put window to match others, as you'll be spending alot more money doing that on something that you may be able to cover and not notice. I woke up this morning with an idea. What about if I move the front door to meet the middle of the porch (this has been something commented on before on here, how the door is really tucked away and not noticeable enough)

, do some panelling or rendering in a dark blue/charcoal colour. Then use that same effect where the sliding door is surrounding it, including to the top. I have done a little mock up so present my ideas... I could even do the same on the front window to carry the theme, or that might be overkill, i think it probably is..... Rendering would obviously be the easiest, or even just painting those sections of the brick... Don't want it to look too higgledypiggledy.

• oklouise
    hace 2 años

sounds excellent

• bigreader
    hace 2 años

I like your mock up. You don’t need to render. You do need some updated landscaping and to remove the section of driveway in front of the sliding door.

• teeg00
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

So if using brick for the sections that need replacing, I could just paint the brick sections and that would work? Rather than rendering?

• teeg00
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Just to explain, when referring to rendering, I am only talking about the panels/brick work that surrounds the door and the new window replacing sliding door sections (to ceiling etc). I am definitely not rendering the whole house.

• bigreader
    hace 2 años

Just paint the relevant brick sections.

• lostinreno
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Or simply hide the sliding window?

A simple slat panel that wraps around to the left.

(Not right against the window but about where your planters are, so you still have some good light in your room.)

And lots of plants in front of it so it all blend nicely.

• teeg00
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

lostinreno I like your mock up. only problem though is the path that goes to front door follows along from driveway to the side gate which is directly beside the sliding window. I wouldn't want to get rid of that as then I'm walking on grass everywhere and it is often muddy and wet where I live.

• lostinreno
    hace 2 años

Just ignore the added grass!!

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.