Houzz Logo Print
allibump

replace travertine with wood?

allibump
hace 2 años

I would like to replace travertine with wood for a refresh but am overwhelmed with the idea of it. The travertine was installed over the original layer of ceramic tile. We would have to remove two layers of tile from around the kitchen cabinets, not to mention across the entire main floor of our house. I would also replace the carpet in living/dining with wood. The other option is to leave the tile and refresh the walls with a new coat of paint and replace the carpet in living/dining area. The laundry room cabinets are being replaced along with cabinets in two bathrooms as well. The travertine flows through these rooms. My main fear is damage to the kitchen cabinetry (even though my contractor promises to protect). We would have to pry the baseboards from the kitchen island and move them down to compensate for going from two layers of tile to one layer of wood. Is the overall headache worth the time and expense? I’ve almost convinced myself to leave well enough alone. Looking for a sanity check.

(I know many love the look of travertine and I agree that it is a beautiful natural stone. However, the tile installed in my house was by the previous owners and it isn’t necessarily what I would have chosen for myself.)

Comentarios (7)

• apple_pie_order
    hace 2 años

"Is the overall headache worth the time and expense?" Not at this point. The prospect of resetting the cabinets, adjusting the plumbing for the sink, redoing the countertops and backsplash , and so on is a lot of work. However, if you detest the travertine, it might be worth it to you. You could have the travertine professionally cleaned and sealed if it has not been done lately.

allibump agradeció a apple_pie_order
  • allibump
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks for the input SJ. The previous homeowners put in the tile over tile, probably to avoid the mess that we are now going to have to deal haha. The first thing we did after moving in was completely renovate the kitchen because it was literally falling apart. We were assured replacing the tile after renovation wouldn’t be a problem. That’s when we discovered the two layers of tile (and, yes, we did have voids in the floor that had to be remedied). We are planning to repaint whether or not the tiles are replaced so that should help tremendously. I chose the wood color to compliment the new kitchen cabinets and rugs/furniture we already have so that’s why they are similar in tone. I like the idea of painting first and seeing how we feel after that. Thanks for the input.

• rustynail
    hace 2 años

I also would try paint first. Your travertine looks beautiful to me, it has a nice patina.

allibump agradeció a rustynail
  • PRO
    Design Directives, LLC
    hace 2 años

At this point we might suggest just leaving it as it seems it would be a huge hassle to remove.

allibump agradeció a Design Directives, LLC
  • kayozzy
    hace 2 años

I love the travertine. Bigger bang for your buck to change the paint color as suggested.

allibump agradeció a kayozzy
  • allibump
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Apple_pie_order, Rustynail, design directives, and kayozzy, thanks for the input. Much appreciated! We’ve decided to leave the travertine and paint the walls.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.