Houzz Logo Print
marievalencia

Help with fixing bad interior paint job with minimal surface prep

Marie Valencia
hace 2 años

Hello!

We recently purchased a 1960s ranch house and hired someone who we thought was a reputable painter, who is licensed and bonded. His crew started out doing good work, then they rushed the second half. It appears that they did not wash or prime the walls or trim. Im guessing its been close to 20 years since the walls were last painted. When i washed sections to prime and paint test swatches i saw they were quite dirty. Three days after they finished and some areas can wipe right off due to poor adhesion. The photo is the trim in the bathroom where paint sagged and then wiped off.

Repair is complicated because all the walls have a knockdown texture and the texture layer contains asbestos, so the walls cant be sanded past the bottom paint layer.

What is the correct way to repair a paint job completed without cleaning or priming the walls? Is it different knowing the surface texture contains asbestos? Is it best to touchup the parts they did really poorly and then wait for areas to fail before repainting, or is it better to redo the work now?

Any tips are appreciated!

Comentarios (7)

• PRO
    Elegant Kitchen and Bath
    hace 2 años

Hi!

It seems like it was an issue caused by water leakage or moisture accumulation.

Scrape off the offending bits, then use your 150-grit sandpaper to smooth the wall. Tack it and paint again. If you can’t get a big blister smooth, you may have to spackle the wall, let it dry, and then sand it smooth.

What causes blisters and bubbles anyway? You likely have an adhesion problem which can happen if you put latex over oil paint, or tried to paint a dusty, greasy area and skipped cleaning or priming first. Getting impatient between coats and re-coating too soon can also cause bubbling.

• cat_ky
    hace 2 años

I suspect improper prep, but, also that paint was 20 yrs old, and was probably oil based and they didnt use the proper primer on it, so the latex paint that is used now, is just peeling right off, and will continue to do so.

• PRO
    PM Project Management
    hace 2 años

Strip it. Or remove all the trim and redo with all new trim. Which is likely the cheaper job when remediation is incolved. It minimizes the remediation time.

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    hace 2 años

Pretty much everything that has been said already start over. That would be the solution. Try and get a credit from them

• strategery
    hace 2 años

Demo trim, strip walls and skim/patch where required, start over with pro.

• Sigrid
    hace 2 años

My painter gave me a guarantee. You sdhould have them redo it.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.