Houzz Logo Print
webuser_366029307

Cheapest way to make a patio?

We just bought a home with an 8x8’ concrete pad. We’d like to save up for a pool in the next year or two but need some sort of outdoor something in the mean time. What would be the cheapest material to use to make a patio that we wouldn’t mind taking up once we’re ready to put in a pool? Backyard is 50’x28’; just need something large enough for a table and chairs and a small grill. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated! 😊

Comentarios (17)

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    hace 2 años

IMO Concrete pavers is the cheapest. Since you want something cheap, I'm assuming you'll be doing this yourself. I did my back patio myself. A proper underlayment/preparation is required - with sand, tiny rocks, tools, a level, etc. Otherwise you'll get a crooked patio and you'll have to redo it every year. There are plently of youtube videos on this topic, and you can also ask your local Home Center for help. My cement patio pavers weighed a ton and I ended up with a lovely backache at the end of the project. Like proper landscaping, a patio is an extension of your largest investment - which is your home. Better to do it right the first time. Also, there are different ways of doing it, so ask trusted nieghbors, friends, family who have done this for the best way to do it.

• anj_p
    hace 2 años

Why not just put your table and chairs on the grass and your grill on the 8x8 pad? I feel like doing any sort of patio is a lot of effort to go to when you're just going to pull it up in a year.

• l pinkmountain
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Not cheapest, but easiest is wood deck ground level. Cheapest concrete pavers. I pulled up both. Pavers heavier. You can probably resell both, I did. Another option, landscape cloth and wood mulch. Not great for barefoot dining . . .

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    hace 2 años

Hi, wood is the best and the cheapest. Please feel free to check out our portfolio to get better ideas. https://www.pearlremodeling.com/home-improvement/patio-covers/

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

Pearl Remodeling-wood cheapest?? lmao. have you been to a lumber yard lately? plywood has gone from $17 to $65 in the last 6 months.

And then what, they're going to rip it out in a year? seriously? Do you read the actual comments or are you just here to advertise?

HU- Can you post a picture of this 8x8 piece and the rest of the yard?

• Usuario de Houzz-366029307
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

This is the backyard. :)

• Usuario de Houzz-366029307
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks for the replies.. pretty sure wood is out of the question for now. Pavers and flagstone sound like they could be good options!

• decorpatti
    hace 2 años

Since you have grass, like anj_p, I think just putting the table and chairs on the grass and the grill on the small slab should be fine for this summer. Add an umbrella for shade, and it will be like a picnic at the park!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

I agree. you could buy the 2x2 concrete pavers,, or, frame the spots and pour your own.

• Lyndee Lee
    hace 2 años

Cheapest way is to just use the existing grass. If you can wait for a few months, you will have a better idea or how you use the space and where the natural traffic patterns are located. Just like interior remodels, using the space for a season will give you an opprtunity to think about your options

• tozmo1
    hace 2 años

This may sound crazy but I have friends who are actually scouting wooden pallets to see if they can do this deck in the link below. It's a platform made out of 25 wooden pallets. They have found a good number of them on craigslist. Maybe you can too.

https://www.1001pallets.com/patio-deck-25-wooden-pallets/

• l pinkmountain
    hace 2 años

No no no to gravel. Not easy to pull up!! Ask me how I know . . . on the flip side, I had a patio with those big concrete pavers, with a wood frame around the outside. Pulled it up, easy peasy and sold the pavers, which surprised me but the people who bought them were very appreciative. Check your local habitat for humanity or salvage resale yard, you might find what you're looking for there . . .

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    hace 2 años

I quarry the rock from the backyard. Other people scavenge road work where they have to blast rock to widen the road. If you go that route, pay attention to how much weight your vehicle can carry. I know people who have had expensive suspension repairs after picking up rock.

• Tara
    hace 2 años

Use the grass if you have good drainage. Put down an outdoor rug under the table and chairs. But know the grass will die off under it, but if you're putting in a pool in a year, everything will get ripped up anyway. Or you can use some of those resin pavers that have "teeth" that grab hold of the ground.

• Tara
    hace 2 años

These are from Wayfair

• 3onthetree
    hace 2 años

The question is CHEAPEST and TEMPORARY:

YES: (Concrete) Patio Blocks - these are usually 12" square, are only 1 3/4" thick, and sell for around $1.25-$1.50 each. Just scrape off the grass, level and stomp the dirt with your foot, and expand the existing patio size as needed. Literally you can lay them down without requiring any knowledge or additional work whatsoever. When it's time for the pool, remove, powerwash them, and sell for 1/2 price on FBMarketplace.

NO: (Concrete) Patio Pavers - these are 2 3/8" thick, interlock, requires laborous grade prep (digging out for a base of gravel and sand), and laying them with competence and additional labor. Quite difficult to remove the gravel, sand, and sell the pavers that are designed for your layout.

NO: Poured concrete - requires grade prep, formwork, mixing, finishing, and breaking up and hauling off later.

NO: Wood deck - requires grade prep, expensive materials, construction know-how, laborous, and a bit difficult to remove later.

• calidesign
    hace 2 años

I wouldn't spend money on anything that will need to be removed. Why not get your pool designed now so you know where you can put a more permanent patio to use in the meantime that won't have to be redone? If you're putting in a linear pool, you can extend your concrete patio across the length of your home without encroaching on pool space.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.