Houzz Logo Print
crunkin4justinrt

Want to jazz up my kitchen on a budget

crunkin4justinrt
hace 2 años

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for ideas to jazz up my kitchen on a budget. My ideas are to move from this Formica counter top to a quartz counter top and add a backsplash. For the countertop I am thinking a light color like white with flakes or gray or vice versa. I would also like to change out the laminate flooring but my dilemma is I would like the flooring in my whole house to be the same instead of having separate flooring in the kitchen. Currently I have the laminate in the kitchen and light wood in the house, see photo. But then that opens up a whole can of worms by having to do my whole house flooring, albeit it's a small 900 sq ft house. I could just change the flooring in the kitchen.

I'm looking for counter top and back splash ideas and thoughts on the flooring, do I change just the flooring in the kitchen or is it better to make the flooring match the whole house especially with the size of my house? any advice would be appreciated!

Comentarios (58)

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@CDRdesign see the other photos I uploaded. I have wood laminate in the house mostly, a sunken den has a low pile carpet because the floor was not level and they said carpet would be best option, kitchen has laminate, small area at front door entry is tile and bathroom is tile. its a small house

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

Can you get any more of that wood laminate that is in most of the house?

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

No, this was done back in 2006.

• Nancy K
    hace 2 años

Is it possible to add crown molding to the cabinets? My friend updated hers by adding molding on top and bottom of her cabinets and it made a huge difference. IMO this would look awesome. If money is an issue, you could wait to do the other stuff later.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

Okay. Well, best would be to change the flooring in the entire home. But, I think you are saying that is not in the budget.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

well i'm asking what everyone thinks is the best way to do it. I am able to do the whole house flooring if that's the best look. what about counter top ideas?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

The answer is to definitely change to wood look in the entire house. You can get luxury vinyl plank that can work in the front hall and even the bathroom. Looks great.

The first thing you need to do is to post inspiration photos of what want your kitchen to look like. Good news is that you have a lot of photos in your ideabook. Here is one. Is this what you want your kitchen to look like?

Green Lake Second Story Addition · Más información

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks CDR, I absolutely love that kitchen. I like clean, modern and white. I love that kitchen and the flooring.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

So, now you have a direction. Right now, the room has no warmth. The new flooring will pull in that warmth.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

another question, is my kitchen too outdated to add a new modern quartz countertop to the existing cabinets? will it look like something is off?

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

@arcy_gw, what do you recommend for a new countertop then?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

I don't know if you stated your budget. But, now that you have inspiration, I would state your budget. You may have to make compromises.

Yes, your cabinets are a little dated with the arches, but again, depending on your budget something will have to be kept.

Least expensive items you can change to make an impact and meet your inspiration.

1) Change your hardware on your cabinets to black.

2) Change your counterstools.

For your kitchen, based on inspiration, I recommend a honed or matt finish. Pricewise, best price might be a granite with a honed finish. Most expensive will be quartz.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I was thinking up to $10,000 including flooring.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Here’s a photo from my living room area looking into the kitchen

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

And another

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

You might be able to do the floor and counter for that....there is huge swing....depends on where you live, products you choose and contractor.

I'd start looking at products and get estimates.

Also, the product I would choose would depend on my area and comps.

Thanks for sharing the other photos. Your rooms could use a good floor plan.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I’m in Daytona Beach, FL. Do you think a new counter top will look ok with my current cabinets or is it going to look off since they are kind of dated?

• shirlpp
    hace 2 años

The laminate in the other spaces look like a standard light laminate. Are you sure you can't purchase it and put it in the kitchen....or.....is your heart set on gray flooring?

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Shirlpp- no I am not sure. I just figured since it’s from 2006 I wouldn’t be able to match it but it’s possible. Not sure it would be an exact match.

• Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 2 años

I would try to match the current floors.
    Call in a guy who can help you match them.
    I agree with you concerning adding new countertops with these cabinets. I think it’s the arch. The lowers are fine. Maybe you can do just new upper doors. And extend them to the ceiling. New hardware. New countertops and backsplash.
    Is this a home you plan to live in long term?
    If yes. Start with the things you can. And do them fully! You don’t have to do everything at once.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    hace 2 años

Start with an overall vision and plan. You can implement one at a time, but make sure they all work together.

• PRO
    Everything Home
    hace 2 años

It looks like the flooring in the kitchen, plus the stools and the countertops are the issue. We might recommend updating all of that starting with the flooring. You can update the countertops and backsplash, along with cabinet hardware next. Here are some of our kitchen designs to aid you in your search.

Hard Working Haven · Más información

Hard Working Haven · Más información

Luxe Living in Zionsville · Más información

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

thanks so much. I am concerned with updating the countertop with my current cabinets. do you think my current cabinets are too dated to add a new countertop?

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    hace 2 años

You can go step by step. First countertop. Then you will see how it goes. Your base cabinets look it seems good. If you do not like the look you can replace only upper cabinets.

• Cherie
    hace 2 años

I think the cabinets are dated. I wouldn’t upgrade the counters.

I would put $1,000 towards new pendant lights, faucet and sink. And the rest on closet organizers and furniture with storage. I like hiding things away behind doors.

• Gcubed
    hace 2 años

How long do you plan on living here? That may drive some of the decision making. I think extending the wood laminate floors is a good idea. $$ new counters on old cabinets may not be the best idea unless you LOVE the layout and lower cabinets and don't plan on doing anything to them in the next 5-10 years. If you get a new countertop, I'd get a new drop in sink while they are fabricating the material. Add drawer pull-puts to lower cabinets if you can. Change hardware, get new bar stools with some color.. And if you are staying here long-term, save money to have the upper cabinets extended to the ceiling and refaced (or replaced). Oh, and declutter! That will be the cheapest thing that will give your kitchen a clean modern look.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Hi everyone! I’ve decided to remodel my kitchen. I’m going with a white shaker with white sparkle quartz counter and brushed nickel hardware. Will also get new barstools. I’m going to be replacing the flooring in my entire house and need advice on the color. First I was going to go with the darker blue gray now I’m having second thoughts and switched to lighter Gray. Can I get some opinions on which I should pick?

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

New counter top color and sink color

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Also, should I run new waterproof vinyl flooring into bathroom? Going to renovate bathroom but not until I finish kitchen. Maybe next year. Should I get enough flooring to do the bathroom floor so it’s all consistent through house or keep the bathroom separate with a new tile?

• Dsantlawr
    hace 2 años

Yes, get enough flooring to do the bathroom. That way you will be assured the color will be consistent. Unless you want to change the bathroom floor to something else entirely like retro tile or large matte rectanglular tiles. When you redo your bathroom you might consider heating the floor, and that might influence your flooring choice.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    hace 2 años

Just being curious, what's the price quoted for the kitchen ?

• jck910
    hace 2 años

I prefer the middle picture of the floor choices but I don't like gray floors. They are just unnatural looking to me.

• AGKY
    hace 2 años

I would urge you to stay away from grey flooring. It's already dated and it's a big investment of time and money and you will be decorating around it for the life of the floors. Choose a light to medium brown color for the floors without much variation--that is a much more timeless look and goes with anything. And by the way, the current trend for floors is a light wood look, but that will have more staying power than grey.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Installed a new kitchen!

• everdebz
    hace 2 años

Very nice. What material is the floor now?

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

LVP it’s Pergo “Spice it Up”

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

looks great! (but I have to ask,,all that money and you couldn't replace that florescent light??)

wouldn't be difficult to remove the long box and just do a regular flush mount light. You could prob do that yourselves.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Lol you don’t like my fluorescent light Beth? It’s brushed nickel so it matches but maybe I’ll look into it if it’s not too hard and if the electrical doesn’t have to be moved.

• RedRyder
    hace 2 años

Good job!

• shirlpp
    hace 2 años

I second the motion - change out the fluorescent!

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Do you have recommendations on what would look good in its place without having to move electrical? @Beth H. : @shirlpp

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

part of the problem is my cabinets now go to the ceiling, they did not before. this puts the ceiling light fixture very close to the cabinets. What kind of light fixture would look good there, thats not in the center of the kitchen?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

hopefully, when you remove it, it's as simple and looks like this

https://www.younghouselove.com/lights-ceiling-action/

https://www.pm365.gq/products.aspx?cname=replacing+fluorescent+light&cid=6

http://www.create-enjoy.com/2017/03/how-to-replace-fluorescent-light-with-flush-mount.html

but these are diff looking!

are you saying the door would swing into something like this?

(you may be able to move the hole over a bit. then just patch and paint the old spot.

• crunkin4justinrt
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks @Beth H. : Ya I need to see how much space I have when removing the fixture. A large circle fixture might end up too close to the cabinet. If not, will a circle fixture look bad off center? I like that last fixture you pictured, just wondering how it would look so far back on the ceiling, versus in the center of the ceiling?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 2 años

it would look better centered, obviously, but it's really not difficult to move the hole.

you'd use the same wiring you have, just thread it through the ceiling another foot or so, make a new hole. The old hole get's patched, skimmed, primed/painted. (or, you could use it as a small recessed light fixture. maybe put in another one opposite so it looks intentional)

But patching up the hole can be done in a jiffy. If you remove the old fixutre yourself, hiring someone to do the new hole, patch the old hole, shouldn't be more than a few hundred.

I gave you a few links that walk you through the process. it's really simple

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.