Houzz Logo Print
katbie

Help me decorate the wall behind my off enter couch!

kathy rie
hace 2 años

Help. My couch is off center because it is centered in front of the fireplace. But, it feels awkward the way it is. What can I do to make the wall, couch and table feel like they all work together. It was suggested that I get a smaller round side table instead of the one in the picture. Thoughts? Ideas? I also need to keep in mind the other art in the room. Thanks!

Comentarios (42)

• houssaon
    hace 2 años

I think BeverlyFLADeziner made some good suggestions. I would rather see artwork over the sofa.

Looks like a great space.

kathy rie agradeció a houssaon
  • PRO
    Eco Method Interiors
    hace 2 años

I don't feel like the sofa has to be centered in front of the fireplace, the area is big enough that I don't think it would like weird if it was centered with the wall it's up against instead. Agree with what above commenter said about removing small, oval table and getting a larger rug to really make all the pieces feel like a part of the same space.

kathy rie agradeció a Eco Method Interiors
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 2 años

If she moves the sofa then she moves the coffee table. That would be easier to fudge it if the table were round or asymmetrical, but the square rather dictates its location.

kathy rie agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • shirlpp
    hace 2 años

That squared table on the side of the sofa needs to go.

kathy rie agradeció a shirlpp
  • Usuario de Houzz-187528210
    hace 2 años

First of all, I love your house!! So tasteful! Yet so unique!
    2 personal opinions/thoughts:
    I agree with the above suggestion that the couch doesn’t have to be centered with the FP and if you center it with the wall I’d add art above.
    Otherwise I would not add something above as it really just accentuates the asymmetry. I would maybe consider some sort of molding, wood work ( shiplap style or bead board possibly) or a wall paper.
    I also agree 100% on a larger rug!
    Awesome space

kathy rie agradeció a Usuario de Houzz-187528210
  • User
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

I would be so nervous sitting on your couch that those huge things would fall on me.

A few tweaks to begin with: Take away the end table on the left. Put the lamp on the right in the center of the table, The plant there looks like it isn’t getting enough light.

Put the mirrors over the fireplace if you want to use them and put another huge music poster over the couch

Sihlporte Grand Cafe - Paper Poster 12" x 18" · Más información

kathy rie agradeció a User
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

Hang the triple mirrors vertically, centered 5' above the floor in the dining room instead of the poster. Hang the poster centered on the sofa wall. Then center your rug with the fireplace, and arrange your seating to float in the middle of the room. Center the coffee table with the firebox opening. Square up the two chairs and your square end table on one side of the rug and float the sofa opposite them on the other side of the rug. Then tweak the seating so the coffee table is 12-18" from all the seats, or at least from the sofa since the chairs have their own table. Add a pair of floor lamps flanking the poster. Start the search for a mantel and art to give the fireplace some personality.

kathy rie agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 2 años

What if you move your couch off the wall and turn you living room set up where your coach and chaise flank the fireplace. You could the do a large mirror or gallery wall or one large art piece on that wall?

kathy rie agradeció a Lisa Caudill Designs
  • katrina_ellen
    hace 2 años

I think Beverly nailed it, if the sofa flanked the FP as in the above photos, the dining table and sofa would both be layed out in the same direction and I think it would look rather awkward.

• misecretary
    hace 2 años

You have a beautiful place! And you're right, that wall just doesn't work well, does it? I agree with @Lisa Caudill Designs suggestion to rearrange the furniture. I just don't see a place for the mirrors in that area at all. How about near your entry door so you can get one last look at yourself as your walking out?

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 2 años

Having the living room and dining room arranged the same way can be beautiful as well

kathy rie agradeció a Lisa Caudill Designs
  • lyfia
    hace 2 años

Are you going to live here for a long time? If so and if the opening on the left side is fairly wide it might be worth framing in part of that opening by the sofa to make the wall more centered. It would require a few studs, some sheet rock, trim, and paint, but would eliminate the off centered part.

kathy rie agradeció a lyfia
  • decoenthusiaste
    hace 2 años

Yes, arrange with floating seating as Lisa and I suggested. Picture it the way the room presents itself to the guest upon entering

kathy rie agradeció a decoenthusiaste
  • User
    hace 2 años

Are your chairs swivel chairs? If so, I would be reluctant to move them from their present location.

I’m on the fence about transferring the big art to the fireplace, because nature is what really dominates that side of the room.

I don’t think the gear-mirrors belong in the dining area, but here is another idea for using them. Make THEM off-center. Bring the smallest of the mirror gears so that it is over the end table, above the lamp. Put a related piece of art to the left of it. (This would be fun with your piano piece)

The Martyrs A Futurists Funeral Going Round A Corner Print · Más información

"Maps of the Heavens: Theoria Veneris" Paper Print by Andreas Cellarius, 18"x14" · Más información

"Design For Clock Face, 1917" by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 22x22" · Más información

Fwiw, here’s another music poster I like

Toute La Musique Tous Les Instruments Print · Más información

Betweenbb the 2 chairs, I would go for something more like this

Surya Aynor Garden Stool, Dark Brown, Silver, Metallic - Gold · Más información

Pasargad Home Aleksy Side Table · Más información

• kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you everyone!!

So many great suggestions. I've moved the small oval table and I am looking for a side table that is smaller for the other side. Unfortunately I am stuck with the furniture layout the way it is (aside from the centering issue). I've tried moving the sofa to flank the fireplace but there just isn't enough room for the dining table and chairs that way :( Also, the chairs swivel so 2 side tables next to them will be a problem. Here's the floor layout in case anyone wants to have a go at it!!!!!! THANK YOU

Here is a picture of a table I was thinking about to replace the large square glass table. It's 22" dia.

• User
    hace 2 años

I think that table is too lightweight with its slender base. Can you go with something column-like, solid, or even a garden stool?

Corwell Stool · Más información

Fish Scale 17" Modern Ceramic Garden Stool, White and Gold · Más información

Rustic Coffee Table, Iron Base & Acacia Wood Top With Slatted Pattern, Sandblast · Más información

Safavieh Leila Iron Wire Stool, Black Epoxy · Más información

Forbes Teak Square Stool · Más información

Gun Metal Square Alex Stool · Más información

?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 2 años

Ital mover has called it correctly. What you are looking for is a drum table. A monolithic cylinder to contrast the sculpture of the floor lamp.

I see them at HomeGoods all the time and at Target, sometimes in the outdoor furniture areas. World Market too.

• User
    hace 2 años

The bristling one that @BeverlyFLADeziner shows a picture of would be my pick, and I would do a plug-in wall sconce over the drum table

Gavin 1-Light Dark Bronze Plug-In or Hardwire Balance Arm Wall Sconce · Más información

OR

I would go back to my earlier idea of not just moving the sofa to the right but moving the mirrors over as well. Are they 3 independent mirrors that allow you to engage the gears whatever when you like? Even if they aren’t, I would bring the mirror unit so that the far right mirror is just over the edge of the sofa, and I’d put this floor lamp on the left side of the sofa

CO-Z 70" Industrial Task Reading Floor Lamp With Pulley System · Más información

or even just this one

Lumisource Paddy Industrial Floor Lamp, Black and Gold · Más información

I might put one or 2 of these pillows on the sofa (because I like the pillow — it comes in other combos of colors)

Abarne Graphic Throw Pillows, Set of 2, Snowcone · Más información

• User
    hace 2 años

Oh wait — I can see you’ve already got a drum table in the corner past your dining table. Bring it over. It won’t matter if it bumps out a little bit past the wall.

• User
    hace 2 años

Have you ever considered red chair cushions for your black wood chairs at the dining table?

Ethnic Fusion Cushion, Cushion, Tatami Cushion, China Red · Más información

19" U-Shaped Twill Tufted Dining Chair Cushion, Set of 2, Red · Más información

Cotton Canvas Thick Cushion, Dining Chair Mat, Cushion · Más información

• kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I don't know how to answer each suggestion, but I appreciate all of the feedback.

The couch just arrived on Saturday, so I haven't gotten around to picking pillows. The dining chairs are also fairly new and same goes here. Thank you for including pictures, etc.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    hace 2 años

I think your grey/chestnut color scheme fits the style of the room perfectly. When you decide to look at pillows, don't discount the unique ones offered on Etsy. Good Prices also.

kathy rie agradeció a BeverlyFLADeziner
  • kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Gorgeous. I’ll definitely take a look

• kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I saw this in one of the pics and found it. What does everyone think about this next to the couch. It is 22" diameter and 26" high (1" above the arm of my sofa).

• shirlpp
    hace 2 años

• heathermalia
    hace 2 años

If I came over to your house I would notice that off center couch on the wall right away! But if it was centered on the wall I would not notice it wasn't centered on the fire place. You have a nice house! Center the couch on the wall, creat symmetry there and don't worry about spending money or time with another fix :)

• suezbell
    hace 2 años

Pleasant room. Like all that natural light.

You seem to have the beginnings of a really good idea -- wider table on the wider wall -- but would not want any table impeding traffic beside the wall so you might consider not leaving the little narrow one in place except while it is being used.

The little one appears to have a match between the two chairs -- would use both of them for those two chairs.

IF you have a place to park something similar to this when not in use, it could prove to be a practical solution for when you need a table that side opposite the table and lamp.

https://www.amazon.com/SONGMICS-Vintage-Furniture-Rolling-ULNT50X/dp/B077MLYPKZ/ref=asc_df_B077MLYPKZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242131847205&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7429335880131185959&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011039&hvtargid=pla-412632322220&psc=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Silver-Spring-Adjustable-Overbed-Table/854431398?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1201&&adid=22222222227357425478&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=472963936271&wl4=pla-981173567191&wl5=9011039&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112561859&wl11=online&wl12=854431398&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjws-OEBhCkARIsAPhOkIa2II_TbCopS_52Uvn2-PzrOaZCURqKx-Kd2elngTymHBnownDKhzgaAuFjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Invacare-Overbed-Table-With-Auto-Touch-Height-Adjustment-6417/190066441?wpa_ref_id=wpaqs:0ruAPkLQusYIBDapa-1oGUME8fZyWbKg3fGdsiV8ARu53UESGlIUwnY_BQRkLqBigQSJ6odAn4kKNkJmVifRIOVC6WtSH1OO11cSjOCFKQfLUZ6W14Y8nwVP6ur9y-ct&wpa_bd=1620609376121&adpgm=wpa&athcpid=190066441&athpgid=athenaItemPage&athcgid=null&athznid=PWVUB&athieid=v0&athstid=CS098&athguid=fce92cbc-007-1795973a9f6992&athposb=3&athena=true&wpa_pg=item&wpa_pg_id=854431398&wpa_st=Silver%2BSpring%2BAdjustable%2BOverbed%2BTable&wpa_tax=976760_1005860_623461&wpa_bucket=PWVUB&wpa_pos=4&wpa_aduid=1aa79384-698e-4c6c-ab38-d84c19ce3d35&wpa_plmt=1145x1145_B-C-OG_TI_1-20_P13n-Carousel-PWVUB-contentZoneTop1

https://www.amazon.com/SSLine-Portable-Computer-Adjustable-Breakfast/dp/B07SZ56FN3

kathy rie agradeció a suezbell
  • Susan Davis
    hace 2 años

I love this post and all the great information! Learning a lot of great ideas.. Thanks Houzzers.

• ashtonchic
    hace 2 años

I don't think you need to center the couch on the wall. It looks very nice with the art and floor lamp that Beverly shows.

kathy rie agradeció a ashtonchic
  • User
    hace 2 años

I think your more recent prospect for a new end table isn’t quite right.

I also agree with those who say you don’t actually need to center the sofa on the wall. But you need to do at least one of these 3 things:

a) Get a much taller lamp so that visually you create a new “box”, into which you the center your sofa and gear-mirror art, with the taller thick vertical to the right of them that blocks out the sight of most of that part of the wall.

b) Center the art on the wall, arching over both the sofa AND the table

c) get a new narrower end table and center the sofa and the art in the middle of that wall.

Your choice!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    hace 2 años

You need height, not width over the sofa. Try the piano art there and put the mirrors on the dining room wall.

Again, don’t hang side by side, as you have done…more like this:

kathy rie agradeció a JudyG Designs
  • kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Ital thank you for your feedback. I agree and will try to find a tall lamp etc. BTW are you a designer?

• kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you all for your great ideas. This is my sisters house. It’s gorgeous, but this big wall!! It needs something. It’s 37 feet long.

• User
    hace 2 años

Nope! I fool around with visuals and try to get people to see things differently. I figure in the end they will do what they want — and they should — so no harm is suggesting another angle. However, It was @BeverlyFLADeziner who first suggested a tall lamp. I just repeated her suggestion.

• User
    hace 2 años

(PS: I don’t think your sister’s big wall needs anything, but I would move the floor lamp more into the room, and maybe get a pair of fab chandeliers worthy of the great poster art — something like 2 great floppy brim hats or this

40L Vierzehn Oblong Pendant · Más información

or.....

Meridian LED 3-Head Pendant Cluster, Brushed Nickel · Más información

But she did a great job

• kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks so much! Yes, Beverly did suggest the lamp.! You are both on the same page with your ideas!

• always1stepbehind
    hace 2 años

What about a new longer couch? I can't tell if that's a love seat or a small sofa. Might be a good excuse to get a new one ;-)

kathy rie agradeció a always1stepbehind
  • PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    hace 2 años

You might try a set up like this instead of your current one. That might make it easier to work with. Then you could always add a console table where your sofa is currently with the mirror or artwork of your choosing over it.

Arlington Residence: Living Room · Más información

Seaport High Rise · Más información

• kathy rie
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Dane, thank you so much for your thoughts. I wish I could rearrange it the way the picture shows, but there isn't enough room for the dining chairs to pull out that way :(

• lyfia
    hace 2 años

@kathy rie you might want to see if you can make the arrangement work that Dane Austin shows. If you look there isn't a large amount of space between the table and the seating so pulling the seating closer together might make it work with a rectangular coffee table instead of the square one so the coffee table isn't as wide. Although your furniture does look deep. It is hard to tell what the dimensions are in the space, but the dining area looks to be roughly 12 ft wide to the edge of the fireplace, so it is possible it could work if your furniture isn't extra deep.

kathy rie agradeció a lyfia
Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.