Houzz Logo Print
walk2fly

What trim to paint on stairs?

walk2fly
hace 2 años

For the past two months, we have been painting stained orangey wood trim around our 1990s house. I left the stairs til the end, as I was unsure of what to paint. (Let me say that if money was no issue, I would call a contractor and rip these out and put in stairs that are more modern lines. But, money is a factor.) Paint is what is in the budget now. 🤣. And the carpet has to stay for now.

So we made our conservative best guess today as to what to paint, but after just the primer, I feel like something is off. Like we need to paint something else. Do the risers need to be white as well? Or is it the spindles? I don’t want to get “paint happy” as I can’t go backwards if I inadvertently paint something that would be best left wood.

For context, we have left the solid wooden doors stained, but white trim in the rest of the house, and it all looks amazing. Just unsure how to proceed with these stairs.

Comentarios (18)

• PRO
    Bertolami Interiors
    hace 2 años

Here’s a fun idea to think about, what if you go 2-3 shades darker from the paint color on the riser trim. Then do a dark charcoal gray on only the spindles. This will avoid the wear on the handrail- that would stay wood grain. Then as time goes on if you want to paint your doors you might consider one shade lighter then the rail color on your doors to tie it all together. Hope that inspires! Would love to see how it comes out! - Tiffany ( the design doula lol)

• PRO
    Bertolami Interiors
    hace 2 años

* oops I meant the spindle color not rail color in regard to potential door color

• lydcrafts
    hace 2 años

I think painting the spindles white and leaving the railings wood, would help update. Then if you still think it looks off, do the risers....but it may be ok as they are mostly covered by the carpeting.

• houssaon
    hace 2 años

I would do the spindles and the risers.

• Jennifer Havin
    hace 2 años

Southern Living Showcase Home at Bluejack National Golf Community · Más información

• Jj J
    hace 2 años

• Jj J
    hace 2 años

Sorry- I have no idea why that 9 popped up there!

• Mrs. S
    hace 2 años

I agree with Houssaon. But I think you would find it helpful to start looking at "painted staircases" on Pinterest. At some point, you'll know what appeals to you and what doesn't.

• modpod
    hace 2 años

If you are not taking out the carpet, then simply paint the spindles white and leave the handrail wood.
    If in the future you take the carpet out, then you can update the stain on the stairs and handrail to match your flooring with potential for painting treads white as well.

• Jj J
    hace 2 años

My very similar staircase before and during DIY paint project. Partner insisted on carpet and I wanted that awful, worn whitish carpet out so badly, I agreed. We went with a subtle pattered carpet.

• walk2fly
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Yes very similar. 😊 Looks great!

• Evelin Cave
    hace 2 años

Whats the paint color on your walls?

• Ilove MyLife
    hace 2 años

White spindles and black or other dark color on handrails

• Jj J
    hace 2 años

My wall. SW Alpaca.

• pernice4
    hace 2 años

White spindles and risers with black handrails.... black handrails will match hardware on your stained doors. Stair treads remain stained.

• RedRyder
    hace 2 años

You need to sand off the existing finish on the handrails and spindles. Then you can stain them darker. Going towards a blacker color will give you the high contrast, more modern look in many of these photos. Make sure to protect the carpeting! Stain can be very watery.....

• Jj J
    hace 2 años

I had intended to stain my hand rails. Unlike the spindles which were natural oak with clear coat, there was some sort of pickled whitish treatment under the poly coat (or whatever it was) that was awful to try to get off. I stripped, then sanded so much the entire house was filled with sanding dust and still, when applying the stain, the wood looked like giraffe. Plan B: urbane bronze that went on like a dream.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.