Houzz Logo Print
spicewoodfunhouse

Is this a crazy idea to hide ugly trusses?

spicewoodfunhouse
hace 2 años
última modificación:hace 2 años

When we gutted our house, we gained height in the living room ceiling. We thought we would leave the ceiling and trusses exposed but they are truly hideous. The trusses look like they were thrown together with scrap wood. The ceiling boards are also in rough shape and have areas of splitting and small patches missing.

I think we should drywall the ceiling and the trusses. We could wrap everything in drywall and trim the bottom of the trusses with wood to look like a beam. I have searched for photos of such a thing but haven't found any. Usually, the trusses look beautiful and are the focal point of the ceiling.

We put on a new roof and had it insulated from the outside so we don't need insulation inside. I really want to keep the height and slope of the ceiling, while hiding the ugly bits. Do y'all have any other ideas or opinions for keeping the height while hiding the ugly?

Comentarios (6)

• khrisz
    hace 2 años

Could you take a photo that should the ceiling and beams but also the room(s)?

spicewoodfunhouse agradeció a khrisz
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 2 años

Drywall over or paint the ceiling planks. But leave the crossbeams alone. Those you should wrap with a more decorative wood or painted finish. Like this:

Palmetto Bluff Duck Crossing Cottage · Más información

Rustic Lodge - The Roost - Mississippi Delta · Más información

Painting it a bright white keeps the room from going too rustic.

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    hace 2 años

I might wrap the Trusses in a nice hardwood and sand them very smooth so that they would stain a light color and appear like a solid beams. I would spray paint the bottom of the roof tan or brown so that the imperfections were less noticeable. I think this will look better and cost way less than the drywalling. Drywalling the roof will be a nightmare.

Whatever you do don't remove the trusses. They are keeping the walls of your home from pancaking. Even removing the ceiling was slightly destabilizing. Homeowners sometimes remove ceilings without consulting an engineer and the result can be catastrophic with a large snow load or high winds.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    hace 2 años

I'd be very interested in any documentation as to the removal of a ceiling causing any structural damage.

Those are some sort of hillbilly homemade "trusses" pictured. No engineer stamped those.

• User
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

An of this doable in your case

CH+D mag's Fall 2012 Best Of Photos · Más información

Cold Springs Farm · Más información

Soggiorno · Más información

Living Room · Más información

Atherton Estate · Más información

• chiflipper
    hace 2 años

No paint!!! You want to cover up that roof structure ASAP. Any future buyer's home inspector would flee in horror.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.