Houzz Logo Print
webuser_599047576

Two toned Kitchen Platinum Grey

Katie Lambert
hace 2 años

I need some help! My husband and I have oak cabinets in our kitchen and I plan to paint them with Benjamin Moore advanced paint. I love two toned kitchens and I plan to paint the top cabinets Chantilly Lace but I am having difficulty choosing a Grey bottom cabinet color. I want to have a true Grey. Has anyone used Platinum Grey by Benjamin Moore?

Comentarios (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

I am going to be the bad guy here but honestly DIY painted cabinets are never a perfrct idea. First unless you have a dust free area to spray the cabinet doors and drawer fronts the finish will never be good and the oak adds another dimension to the whole thing since the grain will always show . DIY painted cabinets do not withstand daily use IMO so unless you can get these done by a pro cabinet refinisher I would stronly urge you to get new doors and drawer fronts instead. As for the colors Chantilly lace is really a perfect white with almost any color. I would need to see the space to offer any idea for a gray since grays are tricky .

• Katie Lambert
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

This is my kitchen, am I right in saying they are oak?

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    hace 2 años

They are Maple which paints well if done properly

• PRO
    Main Line Kitchen Design
    hace 2 años

Definitely makes no sense to get new doors and drawer fronts. Professionals will paint the doors a drawers for a fraction of the cost.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

Are you also changing out the flooring? Because if the current flooring is staying, I wouldn't use gray as one of your colors. I'd go with a sage green, instead.

kitchen and breakfast room · Más información

White & Green Hybrid Farmhouse Kitchen with Green Island · Más información

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 2 años

Personally, I would change the backsplash, handles and countertop (in that order if budget is an issue). That backsplash absolutely does not go with your cabinets, or the countertop or the floor, your cabinets are perfectly fine, color-wise.

• Katie Lambert
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I am going to be changing the flooring, countertop and backsplash

• mvcanada
    hace 2 años

Sounds great. I think you should start by putting together some photos of what you like. Pay attention to the flooring and counter choices in kitchen photos that appeal to you. If you are changing everything then you want to be sure it all works together.

Have you got a preference for the flooring? It is the thing that is likely to be there the longest.

Hardwood? Tile? Vinyl Plank?

Once you've sorted the flooring it will be easier to choose the colour for your base cabinets as they are closest together.

Then choose your counters. When you get new counters, don't get an integrated backsplash piece. Just get them perfectly flat and your new backsplash will butt up against the counter.

The last thing to choose is backsplash tile.

I think you'll want to address your lighting as well. It looks like you don't have much light in there especially around the sink and work areas.

Choose a few greys that you like and take them with you on paint chips when you go shopping for your flooring choice. You'll want to see that the paint colours that appeal to you don't fight with your flooring colours.

• Katie Lambert
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thank you so much for your advice. We have vinyl plank flooring bought, the color is "vintage gray". It is a grayish brownish tone and it is beautiful. I would like whitish/grey countertops with white subway tiles as a backsplash maybe? I am so new to all of this, I know what is appealing to my eye but it is so hard to put it together. Also you are right I have no natural light in my kitchen so I will need to get some more lighting installed.

• Boxerpal
    hace 2 años

You wrote: "Vinyl plank flooring bought, the color is "vintage gray.

whitish/grey countertops with white subway tiles as a backsplash...."

Here are some inspiration photos to add to your idea book...

Kitchen Photography · Más información

Kirkland 1 · Más información

Finished Jobs · Más información

Nancy Davidson · Más información

Mountain Modern · Más información

Green Hills Renovation · Más información

• cat_ky
    hace 2 años

It can be done, and the paint does hold up, if it is done properly. Prep is all important. Thoroughly clear. Cabinets must not have any grease, oil, or polish on them. Sand well, wipe down thoroughly. Use a sealing type primer. Use good quality cabinet paint. Follow the directions on the cans, for time between coats. Use high quality foam cabinet type smaller rollers. Use high quality brushes. If you decide to hire out, do not use a house painter, use a painter that specializes in painting cabinets. Doing it yourself is not all gloom and doom, like some think it is. The gloom and doom comes from improper cleaning, and improper prep, and cheaper primer, and regular cans of interior house paint enamel. Do it properly, let it cure several weeks, before you stop being careful, and it will be just fine. Be aware that prep alone can take many days, of good hard work.

• Katie Lambert
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

I am so grateful for all of the advice! I have watched several videos and read many blogs on how to paint and to use an excellent primer. Benjamin Moore advanced paint appears to be a good paint for cabinets. I live in a very small town in Newfoundland Canada so there are not a lot or options. I will paint them myself with rollers and paint brushes as there is no one in my area to hire. My husband and I love DIY and house renos, we know our kitchen will be a mess for a month but the end result will be worth it. You have all be fabulous!!! I am so thankful for the help and inspiration pictures.

• Melissa R
    hace 2 años

give you a visual on what it might look like:

This is SW High Reflective White (which internet says it's a close match to Chantilly Lace) and SW Peppercorn.

I think it's hard to get a good visual because the floor and backsplash are throwing colors off

• Katie Lambert
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Wow that is amazing Melissa! I was wondering for my pantry(longest cabinet to the left) do you think it should be white or gray? My husband thought gray but I think the white does look great!

• Melissa R
    hace 2 años

I'd go with white

here is all white

• Katie Lambert
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Wow now I am totally conflicted because I LOVE the all white!!!! Thank you Melissa, you helped us so much because we had a difficult time visualizing our kitchen!

• Melissa R
    hace 2 años

All white will age better than a two toned kitchen IMO. But, I'm a big believer in doing what you love :)

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.