Houzz Logo Print
tim_aguilar66

Need help deciding color on front of house - REPAINTING

Tim a
hace 2 años

Hello, I need some help on deciding what color to paint the outside of my house. We are repainting the entire house front and back. I would like the front door to be a sage green.

The big issue I am having is trying to find out what color would be good for the garage? The garage door currently matches the color of the front door and front shutters but I feel its too dark for this house. What do you guys think?

Comentarios (34)

• jck910
    hace 2 años

Is the trim color staying as is? I would paint the garage doors the trim color

Tim a agradeció a jck910
  • PRO
    User
    hace 2 años
    Última modificación: hace 2 años

I agree, the garage is too dark. I would color match the garage to the columns. This will allow it to better blend with your home as a whole.

Tim a agradeció a User
  • Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

The trim is going to be repainted with the same color. If the garage is painted the same color as the trim, won't it be too bright compared to the other dark parts on the outside? I really like the post color idea though.

• Jennifer Havin
    hace 2 años

are the shutters staying that color?

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

It is unless it should be a different color?

• chloebud
    hace 2 años

Glo E's suggestion to paint it the same as the columns sounds good to me. However, light or dark, the garage door pulls a lot of focus. Some windows across the top of it would add some interest.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 2 años

Make the garage door either the trim color, match the mortar or a color from the brick. I think a sage green for the shutters may be too light, but it's just paint and can be changed.

Wait, what color is the trim going to be?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 2 años

Are you planning on painting the brick? IMO painting brick is the fastest way to devalue a home. As for the trim and the siding I would not use the shutters at all they do not work with those windows and this is one of my faves for trim, garage doors and siding with brick

Tim a agradeció a Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 2 años

A garage door like this would be great either matching shutters and River way for your door but if you want to go the sage green route then maybe green onyx

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my original post.

-Trim will be painted the same color (at this time)

-Brick will not be painted at all - I agree that would be dumb

-My thought was to do FRONT DOOR in sage green so that attention is focused to that and repaint the garage a different color.

Patricia, you are saying to remove the shutters and not use them at all? If the trim and garage were painted in the picture above, what would the pillars need to be color wise then? Also the front door wouldn't be painted that same color? I have always been told that you don't match front door color with trim/garage etc..

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Also the shutters would stay the same color (at this time) - if they stay on the house.

This is the siding fyi. Looks like same color as posts in the front of the house.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 2 años

So the trim is just being refreshed with the same color it currently is?

Columns would be same as trim, that’s how mine are.

The style of shutter is wrong for your home and you really don’t need them.

Garage door should blend in, especially since the brick color is so neutral. I’d make the front door and columns the stars.

Tim a agradeció a Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Okay, shutters are going to be removed now. They came with the house when we purchased. The more I look at that sage green house the more I like it. I guess then the issue would be what to paint the posts and door if the trim, siding, and garage door were sage green. Gotcha, make the posts and front door the star.

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Okay, got it. That makes sense for the door to pop. Thank you so much.

Mocked this up in PS and just added the colors you mentioned above to their respective areas. I removed the shutters too...looks odd to me now but must be because I was so used to them being there hah. Are faux shutters no longer a thing in design of houses?

• Sandybean
    hace 2 años

I would do everything in the sage green and then a dark green for the door (just go down the color strip to a darker color). Yes to removing the shutters.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 2 años

Depends on the house and the ratio of the gutters to the windows etc.

What about the trim same as the columns? Siding and garage green but the columns and trim the Roman column color?

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 2 años

not gutters, shutters lol

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

That may work or what about columns green and keep the door a bright color? That way it stands out completely separate from the rest of the outside.

• PRO
    Lisa Caudill Designs
    hace 2 años

Either works so just a matter if which you like better.

Tim a agradeció a Lisa Caudill Designs
  • Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

Thanks everyone for the input! I will post a picture once its all finished.

Just an aside, what is the deal/issue with faux shutters on houses?

• chloebud
    hace 2 años

Tim, opinions vary all over the place with shutters. If faux, they need to at least appear to be functional, starting with the right size. The style of the house and windows should also be considered. It's amazing what some people will do, such as adding them to a bay window. Then they truly are "shudders."

This link might be helpful for some guidelines. It really does come down to what looks good to you.

https://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/

The Riverway Lisa posted would be beautiful on your door. :-)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 2 años

Question: those white frames around your transom windows above the double-hung windows, are those window air conditioners? Or is that very thick window trim?

• Timi M
    hace 2 años

To Anna’s question, those white frames around the transom windows are out of balance and calling too much attention. I would paint that trim a color closer to the brick.

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

That is window trim. It looks thicker because of the paint brush I used in PS.

• Timi M
    hace 2 años

Oh, ok. They are less noticeable and more balanced with the current shutters. I actually like the colors of your house and the shutters. I’d just paint the front door a bright color, like orange red, but am interested to see what you do :)

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

That trim around the transom windows would be a different color than the overall trim of the house then?

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 2 años

Well, in your original post with the close up photos, they are quite prominent. My inclination would be to lessen their visual impact. But that’s something you can decide as you go along with the project.

• Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

May have to go with the green trim, garage, and siding route. that way it will darken those windows. I was liking the idea of the trim being roman column color with garage door, posts, siding being green.

the door is going to be a bright color either way though.

• Timi M
    hace 2 años

Here’s a color combo suggestion very crudely mocked up that keeps the shutters but paints them a light beige along with the garage door.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 2 años

If you like the trim to be prominent, then paint them “Roman Column” along with your other trim. It’s completely up to you, it’s your house. We just give advice. :)

Tim a agradeció a Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • PRO
    Tim a agradeció a Lisa Caudill Designs
  • Tim a
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

So we finally finished painting. I think it turned out really well! We ended up using Green Onyx, Whitetail, and Terracotta (front door only). Thanks to everyone in this post for the advice. And yes, we removed the shutters lol.

• Sandybean
    hace 2 años

Very nice. Big improvement. Front door color looks great!

Tim a agradeció a Sandybean
España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.