Houzz Logo Print
anthony_murray32

Is Farrow & Ball paint worth the money?

Anthony Murray
hace 3 años

Hello,
We are moving house in 2 weeks. Our current home was our first, money was a bit tight and so we used Dulux.
So why is F&B so much more expensive? What makes it worth it? So that when someone asks you can say it's F&B and look fancy or does it really make a difference?
Ta!

Comentarios (10)

• Sarah L
    hace 3 años

I've tried it, didn't think it was worth it to be honest. There are a lot of F&B fans here on Houzz, but I will stick with Dulux. I tried Blackened in my lounge when it was on offer in Homebase. Although it was a nice finish, when I wiped a mark off the wall, it left a noticeable patch. I repainted with Polished Pebble, virtually the same colour in my eyes, and more durable.

• Karenza Roy
    hace 3 años

I always use Dulux and I find it incredibly hard wearing.. can't say I've ever tried F&B because Dulux has just always worked and done its job

• E D
    hace 3 años

F&B paint is hugely overpriced (and possibly overrated) in my opinion.

I quite like using it and am happy with the quality and moreover the colours, but I only use it when I can get it cheaper, f.i. through eBay, which often takes some patience... 😊.

Used Dulux a lot too which is great too, apart from their white gloss, which turns yellow.

Not keen on on Crown.

• jessa61
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Colour wise, I do think it has some beautiful options. It's also marketed very well in that it explains undertones, what colours go in different room orientations, what colours work best together etc. Essstially farrow and ball take all the guess work and stress out of closing a paint colour. However, it just isn't durable like dulux. With dulux diamond, I can scrub the walls if needed and the paint doesn't budge. One tiny wipe with a bit of water, strips the f&b colour of the walls. With dulux, it does take time to find the right colour as they have literally 100s of shades and don't give you any information at all. So all in all if you're happy to put the work in, I think dulux is cheaper and better buy farrow and ball is an easier and more enjoyable paint experience

• T Gray
    hace 3 años

As mentioned above, their colour palette is coherent and cohesive and really nicely put together. However for those of us who are not blessed with an unlimited budget, the cost is pretty steep. A good compromise is to use colourmatching; I prefer Johnstones as the paint is pretty hard wearing, matches pretty well, has a good colour depth and nice to work with. I have bought their books though as their explanations and advice for what to paint where is great.

• PRO
    Barry's Luxe Decorating
    hace 3 años

Farrow and ball estate emulsion cannot be touched up or scrubbed, best option is modern emulsion...on the other hand cheaper option is getting it matched from Johnstone's as mentioned above.

• Juliet Docherty
    hace 3 años

I use Farrow and Ball when I have to under duress. This is because I am very familiar with their colours and know which ones read as a bit yellow etc. Their colours are good but I think a bit limited. 'Im sure Johnsons are just as good if not better, I find F&B a bit thin to be honest. However, I do rate Little Greene much better. The quality is superb and worth the money. I heard that their dark colours are so pigmented that they are virtually lost leaders in terms of profit. I can vouch for that, they need fewer coats than F&B.

• User
    hace 3 años

After recently splashing out on F&B when B&Q had 3 for 2 on paint and I thought it would be rude to not pass up a chance like that, I have mixed feelings. I've used whatever was on offer before but after painting the rooms I've done my thoughts are: estate emulsion is nice and it definately has better colour tones than the cheap brands but definately don't use it where there is any chance of moisture (tried it in the bathroom and it runs). Don't use it where it will get scuffed e.g. on the stairs where you'll lean against it but in rooms like living rooms & dining rooms it looks great. Where F&B really come into their own (in my humble opinion) is their eggshell for woodwork, furniture etc. It's tough has a lovely finish and the colours are deep and look expensive. We painted a couple of bathroom cabinets and a bath panel in Moles Breath (gotta love the names) and they look great. So kitchen units for example if you want something a bit different I'd I'd definately use but as for everything else, I'm inclined to agree with the majority on here and go for Johnstone's colour matching service, there's generally at least one Johnstones Tradecservice near every major town.

• Anthony Murray
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

We were going to buy Moles breath to go with shadow white in our lounge.

We have a Farrow & Ball store near us - have never been in though and a Johnstone's paint centre close by too.

Thanks!

• Daisy England
    hace 3 años

I pinch their colours, drive to Johnstones and have a colour match. It has always turned out well. Johnstone paint has always been my favourite. I certainly wouldn’t cough up for F&B.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.