Houzz Logo Print
sladerator

Please help with awkward fireplace

Ryan Slade
hace 3 años

This house was built in 1976 and I want to keep some aspects of its original character, just make it more modern and asthethically pleasing. The style of the house is a cushion of MCM and Glam. The colors are gray and navy blue and gold.

the fireplace is wood burning and I am changing to ethanol via an insert bc it is way more usable and requires no plumbing to get gas to unit.

My question is how to make this unit look better?

I’m thinking of building a matchup bookcase on the left to make wall symertical and make the brick area smaller. The issue is which that is who has books anymore?

this is a smallish space so more seating s needed.

Comentarios (29)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I would remove the shelving you have since it does not appear to hold anything worth displaying so certainly not more of the same.If it was mine I would remove the stone and close in the space where the shelves are get a lienar ethanol FP and do a nice simple 12 x 24 porcelain tile for the FP surround and a much larger piece of art above the new FP. A very long thick mantel in a nice walnut. Sort of like this look but probably not the bottom shelf.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I do like that, but I feel like removing all the stone in an older house removes some of the character.

I do think it is a good idea to remove the shelves...maybe frame that space and ”cover“ the area.

• cd7733
    hace 3 años

• Usuario de Houzz-161159613
    hace 3 años

I think it looks great and seems to suit the style of the house.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I think I might be forced to keep it assymetrical since the ceilings slopes.

I do like the way the bookshelf looks painted darker.

• tfitz1006
    hace 3 años

More books in the bookcase, less "stuff". I think some more imposing and bold artwork as well. That just sort of blends in...

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I was thinking of maybe doing a faux fire wood feature in the top part of the shelving space.

Or possibly combining these two looks somehow..

The house has a lot of gray and breaking it up a bit would be good.

• ulisdone
    hace 3 años

Jennifer’s idea of asymmetry would be best. Remove or darken the shelving area.

• drdeb1234
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

I think any attempt to impose symmetry would be misguided. Embrace the asymmetry and search for other inspiration pics on houzz

• cat_ky
    hace 3 años

I would darken the shelving, leave the fireplace alone, and then make sure that you have nice accessories for the shelving, and the fireplace too.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

so the common trends I’m seeing. No artwork above fireplace, darken shelves, embrace assymetry

• Pearl Dowell Vandenbosch
    hace 3 años

I think a dark mantel across the entire fireplace, then paint the bookcase to match that and remove some of the shelves,(theres to many, its to busy) or you could add doors to the bookcase. Either full length or just the bottom half and leave top open shelves. Maybe something round over the mantel like a big clock or mirror and a taller art piece, vase or plant on the left side of the hearth.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    hace 3 años

I'd get rid of the that shelving and simplify the look

just do a nice mantle

• Jennifer Hogan
    hace 3 años

I think you can have art on the fireplace wall, but you need something larger, and centered on the brick wall

• PRO
    Our Town Plans
    hace 3 años

I would definitely keep the shelves (can you ever have enough?) and embrace the asymmetry! I also agree that you have a great opportunity by creating a mantle that repeats the precedent set by the simple dark wood beams on the ceiling.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 3 años

I rather like your fireplace. Don't like the screen much but since you are replacing with an ethanol burning unit that shouldn't present a problem. Am thinking you won't need a screen for that. I would declutter as much as you can. Looks like some of your display are Christmas decorations and I'm sure those have gone or will be going. I do like Jennifer Hogan's suggestion of a larger piece of art centered on the fireplace wall and not the firebox itself. I might suggest another piece of art though - something more organic and 3 dimensional. You might consider removing some of the individual shelves from you shelving just so that you can display larger objects. Good luck!

• Valinta
    hace 3 años

Is the shelving area deep enough to remove the shelves, add cushions and a light to create a cozy extra seat or reading nook? Leaving a shelf or two near the top will give you space for seasonal decor or a few favorite books or photos.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

A thought was to create a reading book area. The space could do it.

hace 3 años

Oh yes I like the reading nook idea!

• Val B
    hace 3 años

Not a pro - I think the fireplace and asymmetrical shelves look good (except that the shelving unit should be completed in the sides so it looks like it goes to the ceiling instead of stopping 1-2’ below the ceiling). Would prefer a more natural looking wood flooring there.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I would prefer natural flooring in not dark beams, but it’s a remodel and replacing the flooring isn’t an option. i might get faux wood beams covers to go on top of the existing though.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I might have to cover the fireplace brick though as it doesn’t go with the modernist feel of the house.

hace 3 años

Really? I don't think so. I think the brink looks nice and flows nicely with what I can see. I also like the dark beams, it provides nice contrast. And I don't think the bookcase ends to low. It's a vaulted ceiling, you can't really end it up in the ceiling. I like the reading nook idea, the dark mantel to match the beams and any shelves you do keep above the nook I would match the mantel and beams to tie it all together. Just my two cents. Post a pic when your done!!

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

I will, it’s not being done till April though....just planning for now.

• Val B
    hace 3 años

This was the part I thought looked unfinished - like the left wall of the book case should extend up. I like the dark beams and wouldn’t cover them.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

So that pic is from the previous homeowner. Honestly, I don't love the bookcase. It looks slightly wonky to me....look on the right side of it, you can see they used an existing bookcase and fit it into the spot. That's why I'm leaning towards framing it and covering it. I think it needs to look better.

The beams I think need to be the original color, but sanding them down would be a pain and very messy....so I'm thinking of using a faux beam product to do it.

But yes the mantle will be the same color as the beams.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

This haven’t tackled fireplace yet. We are doing a mantle across the whole thing and a slatted cabinet. Here are some pics on how the rest is going.

• Ryan Slade
    Autor original
    hace 2 años

This haven’t tackled fireplace yet. We are doing a mantle across the whole thing and a slatted cabinet. Here are some pics on how the rest is going.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.