Houzz Logo Print
anim125

Is redwood timber a good idea for landscape edging?

anim125
hace 3 años

I've been waiting a really long time to complete my landscaping project. I hired a licensed landscape contractor and we just completed the work 3 days ago. Throughout the project, the communication had much room for improvement. We never really discussed edging options for the part where the grass borders the planter/pea gravel. Its been one week after the sod was installed with a very frequent watering schedule and the wood is chipping off with my bare hands. I've contacted the landscaper and he's accusing me of "tampering" with it since "it shouldn't do that." He also wants to charge me a fee to come replace it. Looking for some advice as to how I should proceed and any professional landscapers out there that can tell me if this sounds right? I really don't think its right to have this happen after spending over 16k on the project. Thank you in advance!

Comentarios (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

What an idiot that is not the proper material to use in that situation, All of these are good options not one wood in the mix. Too bad you paid but if with credit card you could try to get some money back.

• Christopher CNC
    hace 3 años

Wood landscape edging is sold in every Big Box store in the country. It is as common as dirt. But as your licensed landscape contractor said, "It should not be doing that."

The wood edging in the picture looks real sketchy though. All the pin and staple holes on the top and the long 'wood grain' lines make it look like a cheap manufactured product meant for some other application. That stuff looks like it was made to flake apart when wet.

As a start, ask your landscaper for the specific product information of the edging he used.

• Fori
    hace 3 años

That doesn't look like redwood. It looks like pressure treated wood that is red. I could be mistaken but I am under the impression that one reason to use redwood is that it doesn't need to be pressure treated.

Redwood is common where I live--I have it on my siding and my new planter boxes and my 60 year old fence. It's naturally durable in my mild climate.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    hace 3 años

I agree that doesn't look like redwood. One of the reasons redwood is used so much in outdoor applications - and that includes landscape edging - is its natural resistance to rot. Even more so than cedar. But it is also a very hard wood and that splintering of the edges shown in the photo would not be characteristic of such a hard wood unless abused by some sort of mechanical equipment. Regular irrigation should NOT have that effect! Something is not right.

• Fori
    hace 3 años

I do think that's a bad spot for wood being that high--the lawn mower is gonna hit it...

• anim125
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you all for your responses and input. It has really validated a lot of what I was sensing. Funny thing is that the contractor said this is redwood. He then went on to say its been treated. Of all the research I've done alongside with your comments, its clear to me that redwood is not treated since its naturally rot resistant. So as of now with my insistence that this be addressed, he'll come by after the holidays and we can talk about the other options. I'll be curious if he continues to insist this is redwood. I'm okay if I have to pay a little extra for actual redwood (its only about 30 ft of border) since I really can't have this issue. I have a young toddler and we did this project so she can have a safe play space.

And Derviss Design, there was NOTHING spelled out in my proposal. It was written in short-hand and we asked for so much clarification from the start. We were promised everything would be answered the first day on the job but nothing was ever detailed out or written out for that matter. That's definitely my mistake. I shouldn't have trusted the 5-star yelp reviews without listening to my gut.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    hace 3 años

It appears to be Red Wood. But it’s not redwood. Therein lies the problem.

• arcy_gw
    hace 3 años

Wood and in the dirt do not go together!! Heck I won't even bother to buy wood bird houses anymore. They don't last. Creo-soaked railroad ties last but they REEK! Go with a brick of some sort.

• PRO
    Derviss Design
    hace 3 años

If you have a toddler or kids consider using a composite lumber like Trex. It comes in a variety of colors, thicknesses and is a good choice for ground contact edging. Set it on edge.

• anim125
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thank you all again! I've been looking at other edging options. Its really unfortunate that I was never given a choice before the pea gravel/stepping stones and sod was installed. If I go with something thinner something will have to be widened and I'm sure it'll be the pea gravel. I'm looking for something more modern but I also worry about leaching, chemicals, plastics etc. I may plant some herbs in that section one day. Derviss Design, do you know if the composite lumber is safe for edible plants?

• PRO
    Derviss Design
    hace 3 años

https://learn.eartheasy.com/articles/cedar-vs-recycled-plastic-vs-composite-raised-garden-beds/

I'm not a scientist nor a chemical engineer but the landscape industry and product manufacturer states it is a stable material and does not leach .

I've used this material in modern and traditional gardens. It is rather benign in looks and holds up well. It is commonly used in the landscape installation industry .

anim125 agradeció a Derviss Design
  • Embothrium
    hace 3 años

Pea gravel migrates when trodden upon so I wouldn't make the strip you already have wide enough so that it starts being stepped in. Also it's the kind of thing that a toddler might like to pick up and throw around. So if that starts to happen at some point you may end up feeling you already have too much of it.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.