Houzz Logo Print
kinginthenorth

Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Jon H
hace 10 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

I need a cool rug to go with my current set of furniture. I am moving into a loft apartment; below please find my couch, coffee table, the fireplace which the couch will be facing (in progress), and my flooring (shown in the kitchen but the same floors apply to living room). Please give me some rug suggestions. Did I mention, I HATE puppies?

Comentarios (466)

• groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    tasi, really glad to hear from you. I am so sorry the wallpaper didn't work for you, especially since I'm the one who pushed it. But I have to say the living room looks great. I even love the mirrors, and I am not a mirror gal. But they reflect your wall of windows and I am definitely a big windows kind of gal.

For now, how about just painting the dining room wall to match the rest. Then give us a better photo of the dining room and we'll try again. If you trust us, that is. I think you could use a narrow console; maybe make it the wall-o-booze.
    Jon H agradeció a groveraxle
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hey guys! Great hearing from you as well. The dining room wall where I previously had the concrete wallpaper has now been painted 'Seattle Gray" by Benjamin Moore, to match the rest of the apartment. That's reflected in the previous picture I sent. The wall in question is approximately 8 feet tall by 14 feet wide. I'd like to fill it up, but I also don't want to rush it unless it's right. I want my accent color to be yellow and think this wall will be able to kick things off. I saw this painting I liked but not sure how you guys feel about it. The painting is 15 inches wide, and 60 inches long. Some photoshopping magic would be wonderful here! Decorating is so much more fun and less stressful than wallpapering. I'm excited!
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    And here are better pictures of the wall in question! and groveraxle, of course i still trust you guys! It's gonna take more than a bad wallpaper experience for me to sour on all you wonderful people!
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    I think this is pretty much to scale; if anything, the painting may be a hair large. My reaction: meh

What is that on the floor behind your dining table? Looks like a huge canvas. Can we see it?

tasi, I'm glad you're back, and I'm going to work on this wall today. It would be best, I think, to plan the whole wall at once. With that in mind, I will start with this painting and see what I can do.
    Jon H agradeció a groveraxle
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    tasi, is that a new chandelier? I'm not crazy about it. It looks awkward to me. How about if I find something better and come over and rewire it for you?
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Here's a picture of a different painting. One of my best friends is a really talented artist and gave me this piece of part which I had hung up in my previous apartment. I brought it over as part of the move, but undecided on if i would use it. It's 49 inches wide and 30 inches tall. Here's a better pic of it. And no that's the same old chandelier! I plan on replacing it at some point but not sure how much work that entails after picking a new one out.
  • PRO
    Style My Space Interior Design and Staging
    hace 10 años
    Check out flor.com they have very cool carpet tiles. I've used carpet tiles for many of my clients with puppies and kids. Easy to clean, very stylish, reasonably priced.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Rewiring a light fixture is a piece of cake. Just be sure you flip the circuit breaker first. If you forget that part, probably the shock won't kill you, but the fall from the ladder will. Just remember to match like-colored wires and the bare wire (ground) goes to the little green screw.

Next question: do you LOVE the yellow skyline painting? Or did you just pick it for its color and its size? Remember, you're going to look at this art every day, so make it something you love no matter what the colors. I really like the canvas your friend did, but the photo resolution is lousy. I'll see if I can improve it a bit and work with it too.
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    I think the yellow skyline painting is interesting but i mostly like it for the colors. And it sorta ties into my apartment as I have pretty much the same view from my actual window. That being said, I'm not married to it. Ive attached a hopefully better picture of my friends painting.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Tasi, welcome back. Your loft is coming along. Big picture we see in dining. Looks big, but will go well on your blank wall hang very low. Centered. Yes you need new light ck out Restoration. They have a sphere in bronze that would be perfect. Table needs to be centered under it.
  • bluenan
    hace 10 años
    Personally, I think having a piece of art from a talented good friend is much more meaningful than buying something for colors. Sorry Tasi, the skyline painting looks like a "Starving Artist" piece that took about 10 minutes to paint, it's not worthy....
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    I like skyline pic but it's long enough but too narrow 15" if you can find same much taller 36" or more would be perfect. Sorry the wallpaper didn't work.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    hace 10 años
    Love the rug. Mirrors over sofa a little high should come down 8-10". But not a biggie if a expense. Did you ever find anything for next to firepl?
    Jon H agradeció a Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    The skyline pic, if i decide to go that route, can be custom ordered so i can request that it be made wider if that helps.... As for the fireplace media piece, I caved and with a conventional piece from pottery barn. Not the sexiest thing in the world but gets the job done and is great quality.
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Heres a better pic of the fireplace. Disregard the media table next to it. IT was just temporary.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    My mistake was in heading toward modern industrial when you are more a transitional kind of guy, tasi. So I've probably done it again with this idea, but I'll throw it out anyway. Floating sideboard. It's a diy project (perfect for your handyman).

Check out West Elm's new chandeliers. I hung one over your table. This one's pretty cool too. http://www.westelm.com/products/melissa-joy-manning-3-light-pendant-w878/?pkey=cchandeliers-pendant-lighting&cm_src=chandeliers-pendant-lighting||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Oops. Forgot something.
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks groveraxle. To be honest, I'm not crazy with that look. For now, I want to concentrate on just wall art and not on sideboards or tables. And dont take this the wrong way but I hate that chandelier. There are so many really awesome chandeliers out there especially from restoration hardware. Something classier. I can show you some that I like more that that. Still appreciate all your hard work!!
  • Carolina
    hace 10 años
    Okay, so... how about painting the wall yellow and make an art wall. Or is that too wild for you?
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks carolins. I'd like to avoid painting for now and just focus on filling up the existing wall with art. Good chandelier pic!
  • feeny
    hace 10 años
    I would love to see one very large painting (or other form of artwork) on that wall, going for this effect:
    Harris Dining · Más información

Mill Valley Bungalow · Más información

Upper East Side Carriage House · Más información
    Jon H agradeció a feeny
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    tasi, you will not offend me by telling me what you want. It is your loft and I aim to please. (Besides, I already blew it on the concrete wall.)

So I think I'm getting that you would like to fill the wall with art and nothing else. In that case, your options are a single enormous piece of art, a grouping of pieces, or you could also do art and shelves. I suspect you're leaning toward just hanging art though.

Let me mess around a bit.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Your yellow skyline enlarged to 6 feet wide.

A 7 x 4 ft. piece of loft art from art.com: http://www.art.com/products/p14147923870-sa-i6642002/diane-lambin-red-note.htm?sorig=cat&sorigid=0&dimvals=534331&ui=352a2bcc03bf403da992ea5dfd83de38

A 4 x 6 ft. poster of the Brooklyn Bridge from art.com (very inexpensive, but I expect it may look that way on the wall, too).
  • PRO
    Dau Furniture
    hace 10 años
    I love these rugs from Dayln. You can order them from Dau Furniture in St. Louis or go to Dayln's website to see if there is a local dealer.
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Thanks feeny and groveraxle. I guess the question remains whether I choose 1 piece of art of a series. I do like the look of one large piece but i have yet to see how a series would look. Any ideas where I can source a series collection?
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    and groveraxle, great chandelier choice!
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Speaking of a series of paintings, while going through some of my old stuff, I came across a series of 6 of these pieces (3 shown here) which were created by a Greek artist. All of them pretty much red textured paint in a black frame. It didn't really catch my eye but wanted to ask the crowd whether I'm not seeing their potential.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    tasi, are you shooting your photos underwater? Maybe time to upgrade your iPhone? I'll be back.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    A photo wall? And maybe you need to train your puppy to stay off the dining room chairs?
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    WOW. That looks great! Especially the black frames.
  • Rawketgrl
    hace 10 años
    Your argument is invalid

Brown I pick brown....with some orange.

Fix yer ear.
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Six 24 x 24" canvases by the same artist:
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Before you decide, go through the loft art at art.com and see if anything floats your boat. Sort from wide to narrow so you can see the biggest pieces first. I wouldn't go any narrower than 60".
    http://www.art.com/gallery/id--d534331/loft-art.htm
  • Bridget
    hace 10 años
    Checking for update on your place, what did you decide for "the wall"?
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Hey berinlist; my wall decor project stalled. I initially put up my friends painting as a filler, and then last weekend I had a Halloween party and used that wall to project Halloween images using my projector which was pretty awesome. And now I'm back where I started. A series of frames is pretty neat, but Im undecided on what I would put in them. groveraxle, as you can see, did an amazing job providing inspiration, just up to me to pull the trigger, and I've been a little trigger shy with that wall recently :)
  • groveraxle
    hace 10 años
    Your friend's painting is awesome. I wish it were three times larger. In any case, as a filler, it's too high; lower it about 6".
  • PRO
    Rustica Hardware
    hace 10 años
    Above the fireplace a Bi Parting barn door would work great to hide a tv or to just break up the space. usticahardware.com/bi-parting-barn-door-hardware-system/
  • chookchook2
    hace 10 años
    Put in some vintage pieces it's good for the environment.
  • warholsuperstar59
    hace 10 años
    Why not go to one of the open studios regularly held in Long Island City, Dumbo, etc. and purchase a painting you love directly from the artist? Of course, if you are happy with the painting you have---just hang it lower, as suggested already.
  • chookchook2
    hace 10 años
    I am confused, do you really hate puppies, if so why?
  • Bridget
    hace 10 años
    Do you have anything that you collect, like tee shirts from concerts, playbills, quotes you like, along the lines of "I cook with wine, sometimes even put some in the food"," good friends will bail out of jail,a great friend will be sitting next to you saying, that was fun", just putting ideas out there to make it you!
  • bluenan
    hace 10 años
    Tasi doesn't hate puppies, it's in response to another post that got some negative remarks...long story.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    hace 10 años
    No need to add any additional ideas, lots of great advice form everyone.
  • Bridget
    hace 10 años
    We'll, excuuuusssse me!
  • chookchook2
    hace 10 años
    Our puppy ate gravel.
  • bluenan
    hace 10 años
    I really think that Norwood was saying he had nothing more to add, not that nothing else should be added by anyone...I hope!
  • Jon H
    Autor original
    hace 10 años
    Última modificación: hace 10 años
    groveraxle and gang, I need table advice! If you have time, can you please bring your talents to https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tableless-man-needs-dining-table-recommendations-dsvw-vd~780008 please?
  • nj4103
    hace 7 años

where did you get that charcoal colored couch in your living room? I LOVE it. Have to get it.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.