Houzz Logo Print
megankamins

Please vote - Which house do you prefer?

MBAK
hace 3 años

I have been totally leaning towards building a modern farmhouse - white with black windows.

Now that we're in the neighborhood, which is largely lovely older colonials, with newer modern homes popping up, I'm finding myself gravitating towards something that feels a bit more organic to the neighborhood - a modern colonial if you will? We don't have the lot size for a grand symmetrical center hall colonial.

Curious what style you prefer of these and which do you think will stand the test of time - not the colors, just the lines of the house - will modern farmhouse feel dated soon or is it silly to try to replicate an older style? Please and thank you!!

Oakley Home Builders · Más información

Custom Architecture · Más información

Willow Rd, Naperville, IL · Más información

Comentarios (53)

• lizbeth-gardener
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Love the second one and think it would fit well with the older colonials and looks timeless to me.

• Design Girl
    hace 3 años

Love the second one as well. I like the first one too, but it leans a bit Victorian. The "Modern Farmhouse" is so overdone and will be "out" very soon. IMO, they have very little architectural interest. I mean, it may work for Johanna Gaines, but she lives in Texas on an actual farm.

• JustDoIt
    hace 3 años

I like the 2nd one. Is the garage attached on any of them? That would be a decision maker.

• Trishad
    hace 3 años

I definitely prefer the 2nd house style too.

• laurahahe
    hace 3 años

Two.

• txponygirl
    hace 3 años

Love the second one!

• mulder2001
    hace 3 años

the second one is my favorite house ever!

• sprink1es
    hace 3 años

Anything "trendy" will scream 90s, 2000's, 2010s, etc. IMO what people perceive has "modern farmhouse" screams 2010's and is either already done or on it's way "out", depending on where you live. Best to avoid any trend, but history is cyclical. Any style can be classy if done correctly - even the "modern farmhouse" as much as those bug me.

Kind of like how you never want to be the newest or the biggest house in the neighborhood, you also want to blend in.

Please please please avoid getting tunnel visioned on specific aspects or losing sight of the big picture. I keep seeing homes that are just "white siding black windows" that are poor examples of modern farmhouse because really they wanted traditional and built that, but got hyperfocused on the white/black. Or there's a realtor over here that keeps pushing everyone (modern, traditional, craftsman, etc) to "buy these modern garage doors with vertical lites going up one side because that's what in now" and they don't freakin fit the houses.

Roll with whatever your heart wants and try to ignore other people

• supercatspjs
    hace 3 años

• functionthenlook
    hace 3 años

two

• Kim Mac
    hace 3 años

I love 1 and 2 equally. Would be a hard choice. I like them both better than 3.

• rustynail
    hace 3 años

One

• Jennifer Hogan
    hace 3 años

Two

• lwfromny
    hace 3 años

Two :)

• Fori
    hace 3 años

One is a bit too much of a mishmash and 3 looks like someone stuck together the houses and hotels in a Monopoly game and sprayed it white.

• pleballerina
    hace 3 años

Hands down number 2. I’m imagining how lovely and welcoming it would be decorated for fall and for Christmas.

• pleballerina
    hace 3 años

Who else went back and noticed the atrocity to the right of the house in picture number 3?

• daisy
    hace 3 años

I love 2! Are theses the actual homes your looking at or just for the basic style?

• flopsycat1
    hace 3 años

Agreeing with the crowd, it’s #2. What I like least about #3 is the prominence of the garage. Of course, lot size may determine garage placement. A narrow lot doesn’t allow for the luxury of a less visible garage.

• houssaon
    hace 3 años

Really like 1 and 2, not three.

• Cheryl Smith
    hace 3 años

My choice would be #2

• Rachel
    hace 3 años

2 has a lot of char

• David Cary
    hace 3 años

Can I vote NOTA?

Overall, they aren't terribly comparable.

2 garners votes for several reasons but lack of visible garage and mature landscaping are 2 glaring positives that people love.

But I personally don't like 2. The window mullion patterns, the oversize porch gable and the curved gable - don't seem to work together. And then I can's get past the ridiculous walking pads on the oversize steps. And all I can think of is those oversize steps needing a lot of maintenance and looking less than ideal most of the time. And they don't fit the house - why 10 foot wide steps to a single door on a relatively narrow house?

I sure hope that porch roof valley is a temporary fix.

Ok - I will get some more coffee....

Sometimes winning a vote with poor alternatives isn't something to be particularly proud of.

• Kat
    hace 3 años

#1 and then #2 but I also agree with the above poster about the lack of being comparable in other ways to make the voting realistic. He hit the nail on the head. It's not necessarily the house that is getting the vote it's the photo itself that makes it more attractive to look at.

Number one, lacks the mature landscaping. Number three looks so dull and boring, and has the front load garage. While I was searching for house ideas in our planning phase I found farmhouses that looked amazing.

Also, we were at a window meeting last week for our new build and the first question he asked was whether we were doing white or black windows, because everybody is about the black windows right now. Personally, even if I did a farmhouse, I'd keep to white. I think the black windows can look nice but are also trendy.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    hace 3 años

IMO only the last comes close to modern farmhouse and even that one falls short. If you want a modern farmhouse why not look for that style . Forget all the useless gables this is IMO the style I think is modern farmhouse

• C W
    hace 3 años

Number 2 all the way! But I agree that it’s not really modern farmhouse style. More traditional.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    hace 3 años

One and 2, they actually are interesting to look at because they have style.

Three is completely unappealing with its dead black eyes--there is nothing to draw your eye in and make you want to "take it in." It's easily dismissed at a cursory glance.

• Elaine Ricci
    hace 3 años

My first choice is #2, followed closely by #1. I don't like #3.

• pigeen
    hace 3 años

Strangely enough #3 seems to be the style that is taking over in my neck of the woods -- and I keep wondering why.

• PRO
    User
    hace 3 años

#2 is incredibly charming!

• tira_misu
    hace 3 años

#1 for me. #2 has too many different window styles.

• smc5
    hace 3 años

#2, love it!

• Karen
    hace 3 años

I like 1 and 2, though 2 has a little bit too much going on for me. We live in an established neighborhood of older homes, and a couple of recent homebuyers have razed the older homes and built homes that look just like 3. The two new homes stick out like the proverbial sore thumb, for - IMO - 3 reasons: the style of the homes isn't part of the neighborhood's vernacular, and seems out of place in a small city neighborhood of small lots (rather than in a rural setting); the bright white exterior amplifies the "sore thumb" factor; and the front-loading garage draws the eye to itself (again, in my opinion). It may be that maturing landscaping will soften the look of these houses, and elide these differences - I'm not great at visualizing that! Just my thoughts on your question. All the best as you go forward - sounds exciting!

• chicagoans
    hace 3 años

(Not a pro) I like 1 and 2. Looks like you're in the Chicago area (me too.) It seems like 3 out of 5 new homes going up in Hinsdale and surrounding area are the 'modern farmhouse' style. I like them, but they're becoming almost common which is unfortunate in this area where homes are all unique and not cookie cutter. 1 and 2 seem less copy-cat and like they will blend with a lovely older neighborhood.

1 looks like some of my favorite 'newer' houses in my neighborhood (within the last 8-15 years or so) and #2 reminds me of one of the houses on my street that everyone loves, that's been around for over 60 years!

• PRO
    Niche Interiors
    hace 3 años

The second one has more character!

• Louise Smith
    hace 3 años

I think that #2 is winning the vote only because #1 and #3 are so bad. Put those houses up against Patricia's photo and then vote.

• anna_682
    hace 3 años

# Two with minor adjustments

• teresale2013
    hace 3 años

I love #2 as well!!

• ILoveRed
    hace 3 años

My dd is also building in an old established, suburban neighborhood. The houses are unreal. So old and beautiful...they make me swoon. I’ve never seen so many beautiful, old, classic colonial homes. And many Victorian and four square. I know many builders are buying the old homes in disrepair and splitting the lots to build 2 homes. And the homes you posted are what they are building. Resist the urge.

hire an architect and build something on your smallish lot that complements the neighborhood. Several extremely talented architects right here on this board.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    hace 3 años

• cpartist
    hace 3 años

None of the above. All seem to be builders ideas of what a house should look like. 1 and 2 are wanna be older looks but they just miss the mark. 3 is a definite awful

• jessupjl06
    hace 3 años

I vote #4 which is the home posted by @Patricia Colwell Consulting

• kculbers
    hace 3 años

I love #2 ❣️

• Usuario de Houzz-161159613
    hace 3 años

1 and 2.

• Melissa Vernon
    hace 3 años

Out of those choices 2, but don’t really consider it modern farmhouse. Def more traditional.

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    hace 3 años

I just want to say thank you for considering your neighborhood. I drive by one that's full of big brick colonials and such and there's a brand new front corner lot "farmhouse" that is exquisitely done yet looks hideous in it's location. It literally screams. I would love to see photos of other homes in the neighborhood. There are MANY GOOD PROS on here that can help you end up with a one of a kind beautiful home.

• reff31
    hace 3 años

Exterior and interior should not be viewed in isolation. How to the floor plans compare?

• eightpondfarm
    hace 3 años

Overall i like number two the best, but! If the first one could be ....brought down a notch on that roof/top floor embellishment, it would be my favorite. I dislike the eyebrow and the double As with the circle windows and that brickabrack stuff at the top of the dormers. Just way too fussy. Tone down number one and then built that one!

• MBAK
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Thanks so much all! I appreciate everyone's input. To clarify - I was leaning towards modern farmhouse but now that I'm in the neighborhood, I'm drawn to the colonial homes native to the area and I'm leaning towards something more traditional. Those are not the *exact* houses I have to choose from - just three very different styles - I'd say #1 is more victorian, #2 craftsman, and #3 modern farmhouse.. This has really helped me let go of the modern farmhouse style that I do like, but it's just not right for the area.. Thank you!

• David Cary
    hace 3 años

Hmm - I don't really get the craftsman style as number 2. That is not what I would call it.

I would not take much value in your vote because your examples aren't great. That being said, I don't disagree with your conclusions.

This is what's common in my neck of the woods for infill houses. Not modern farmhouse, not colonial, not craftsman. Don't feel restricted to labels.

Patrocinado

Volver a cargar la página para no volver a ver este anuncio en concreto

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.