ami_singh

Kitchen countertop

Scottish_CDN Haggis
el último mes

kitchen counter question

We think our kitchen (see pic) has corian countertops. There is some topping (brownish color) on the counter that looks like it can peel off. Do you think its safe to remove this and would it normally just have the smooth stone color under it?

Comentarios (19)

• JuneKnow
    el último mes
    Última modificación: el último mes

That’s laminate. Might be a Corian edge. That was a thing. Might be a marbelized piece of wood molding. That was a thing too. Poke your head under and get a pic or two of the counter underside.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    el último mes

Laminate with a painted edge or a corian edge? Definitely laminate though.

• Scottish_CDN Haggis
    Autor original
    el último mes

Do you think I can I safely just peel it off?

• Lisa Dipiro
    el último mes

Um no

• JuneKnow
    el último mes

You can replace the whole thing.

• Scottish_CDN Haggis
    Autor original
    el último mes

attached a pic underneath. I think it may be Corian edge as JuneKNow said. So can't have someone replace the laminate with a different color? my wife hates the brown. cheaper to buy a new house :-) . what about that epoxy stuff I see people putting on top of counters?

• Sammy
    el último mes

How about this: Try peeling it off. If you end up making a mess of it, then your wife gets a new countertop! Please don’t do a DIY countertop like epoxy. 🤮

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    el último mes

I just watched a video where they peeled off the laminate top, lightly sanded, and then did a cement overlay for a concrete countertop.

FeatherFinish by Ardex. It's pretty cheap to do, but has a few steps. would look way better than what you have!

• acm
    el último mes

wow, laminate with a Corian edge was a thing. learn something new every day!

maybe you can get all new Corian without breaking the bank -- great surface.

• Scottish_CDN Haggis
    Autor original
    el último mes

Thanks for the information everyone. I think taking the laminate off would be a hassle. Would do you think of cleaning the current laminate then applying a new piece of laminate right on top? It's thin so the thickness may not matter.

• ljptwt7
    el último mes

I'm with your wife, that is ugly. How about DIY butcherblock counters. Sounds better than trying to apply a new thin laminate on top. Apply tung oil and citrus solvent from Real Milk Paint Co. to "waterproof" butcherblock.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    el último mes

why not just remove it and get something else? You could do a new laminate (formica) and get rid of that funky edge.

look into butcher block. Ikea and floor and decor have some nice options. Not too expensive.

or look into Pre-fab countertops with granite or quartz.

Or, save up and just get a large slab of something you like.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    el último mes

Give the top and edges an acetone bath. Careful, it's flammable. Contact cement slightly oversized plastic laminate to the edges. flush with the bottom. Fill the gap between the edge profile and the top with Bondo. Belt sand the oversized edge and Bondo flush with the top. Contact cement an oversized piece of plastic laminate to the existing top. Wax the edge, then rout off the overage with a laminate trimming bit. Get the 7* bevel cutter please. File the edge to flush.

Classic plastic laminate tops. Cheap, fast (no pulling the existing tops) much better than cement or epoxy, and your wife loves the color.

• megs1030
    el último mes

Please do not slap a bandaid over this and call it a day. I'm with @Beth H. : I agree with your wife and I think it's horrible. However, assuming it's in fine working condition, why not use it, save up for what you want and have a pro remove this and install something nicer?

• PRO
    Morningstar Stone & Tile
    el último mes

I would suggest leaving it in place until you decide to replace the whole top with either another laminate, granite, Corian, or some other material. The hassle of removing it and cleaning what is below very well may turn this into a long term aesthetic headache

• RedRyder
    el último mes

Even with instructions from Joe and Beth, changing this the “cheap” way will make a mess and you can end up with something uglier. If you get quotes from local contractors for laminate, butcher block, concrete, etc. at least you KNOW what a new, professionally installed countertop will cost. Then start saving . This DIY project could be a nightmare during and after. If your wife is unhappy now....

• mainenell
    hace 29 días

The laminate itself will usually come off easily with a heat gun and putty knife.

• Celadon
    hace 29 días
    Última modificación: hace 29 días

Some people just have to learn by making their own mistakes .

• Fori
    hace 29 días

You might be able to replace the laminate but you'd still end up with...that.

I would start checking out new countertop options. When you find one that is okay, start taking this one apart. You will have a backup planned if this goes badly. :)

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Al continuar en este sitio o utilizar esta aplicación, acepto que el grupo Houzz pueda utilizar cookies y tecnologías similares para mejorar sus productos y servicios, ofrecerme contenido relevante y personalizar mi experiencia. Saber más.