Houzz Logo Print
kerri_dunne

Help with potential kitchen update

Kerri
hace 3 años
última modificación:hace 3 años

My husband and I are thinking of buying a home we have been eyeing for some time now. Last night we were looking at the kitchen through the 3D tour and discussing things we would want to change/update.

Cabinets and counters would be updated but our big dilemma is the sink and dishwasher location, the stove location and this weird nook next to the fridge. I would like to put in a wall oven and cook top instead of having a range. I would also like to replace The window above the sink with a ledge or just relocate the dishwasher/sink and put an island in. If the walls cant be removed, then I would just open the window as much as much as possible.

Please let me know your thoughts and design ideas.

Comentarios (14)

• NancyD
    hace 3 años

Have you had a building inspection done yet on this house? Not only is it good practice in general, but it can lead to a decision about whether you need a structural engineer to determine if that little section is load-bearing. That is an odd set-up and, if possible, I’d remove it completely.

• PRO
    R Titus Designs
    hace 3 años

Agree. I would'nt stress over layouts until you find out if that wall can come down.

• anj_p
    hace 3 años

Agree. The only way I would buy that house is if those walls would come down.

• eld6161
    hace 3 años
    Última modificación: hace 3 años

Exactly. I’m afraid it is there for a reason.

• Kerri
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

No inspection yet. We haven’t even put an offer in yet 😊. I guess this is more for fun at this time and really want to see people’s opinions so if we do end up buying the place, I have some ideas to bring to the table.

If the wall is load-bearing we would make do with it but would love ideas how make it more appealing.

• Celadon
    hace 3 años

There’s no way that horror can be made functional without a ton of money. It’s terrible. Figure 70-90K to start. I’d skip this house and look elsewhere. It’s bound to not be alone in its terrible design.

• suedonim75
    hace 3 años

I guarantee that weird nook held wall ovens at one time. The bottom panel is just a piece of plywood.

• Kerri
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Re Caledon: the rest of the house is really nice layout and size wise and checks all of our boxes of what we need as a new family of 4.

Re Suedonim75: that’s what I thought.

• PRO
    DANE AUSTIN INTERIOR DESIGN Boston & Cambridge
    hace 3 años

We might suggest a kitchen layout where the sink and dishwasher are on the long row of cabinets. See our designs below for some more kitchen ideas:

Family Friendly Residence · Más información

Roseclair Residence · Más información

• Kerri
    Autor original
    hace 3 años

Re Sammy: I was looking at the house layout plans and the only thing above that area is a bedroom. No walls seems to line up with it on the second floor. I’m definitely not a building expert so the little googling I did tells me this.

Why do you say it’s not load bearing?

• che11e
    hace 3 años

I would only buy this if my offer took into consideration the kitchen is a gut. If you are already looking at this as an issue you need to address, maybe don't buy someone else's problems. If you can live with it for a while & are able to remove walls, then go look at it & have it inspected and have ALL of your questions answered before you commit, but don't overpay for this house in this crazy seller's market!

• latifolia
    hace 3 años

If it has been on the market for a while, it's because kitchens sell houses and this one is bad. However, it means you aren't paying to re-do a nice kitchen you don't like!

To me, it is an opportunity. Maybe get a contractor friend to tour the house with you, verify it's not a supporting wall, and give an estimate of what a new kitchen might cost.

• er612
    hace 3 años

Not sure if it's viable but if you can't move the wall, you might be able to flip the dining room and kitchen.

España
Personalizar mi experiencia con el uso de cookies

Houzz utiliza cookies y tecnologías similares para personalizar mi experiencia, ofrecerme contenido relevante y mejorar los productos y servicios de Houzz. Al hacer clic en 'Aceptar' confirmo que estoy de acuerdo con lo antes expuesto, como se describe con más detalle en la Política de cookies de Houzz. Puedo rechazar las cookies no esenciales haciendo clic en 'Gestionar preferencias'.